Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:27 pm

2012 London logo draws ire of Iran

Quote:
TEHRAN, Iran -- Iran objects to the logo for the 2012 London Olympics, contending it is racist because it resembles the word "Zion" and warning of a possible boycott of the Games.

The secretary general of Iran's National Olympic Committee said Iran sent a letter to International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge. The letter claims the 2012 logo spells out "Zion," a biblical term widely recognized to refer to the city of Jerusalem.

In comments carried by the official IRNA news agency Monday, secretary general Bahram Afsharzadeh said the letter urges other Muslim states to oppose the "racist logo."

"There is no doubt that negligence of the issue from your side may affect the presence of some countries in the Games, especially Iran which abides by commitment to the values and principles," the letter said.

Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has called for Israel's destruction and questioned historical accounts of the Holocaust.

Iranian athletes have refused to compete against Israelis.

The London logo shows the numbers "2012" in four jagged figures and until now has been criticized only for its design. The IOC said it received the letter and joined London organizers in rejecting Iran's complaint.

"Our response is as follows: The London 2012 logo represents the figure 2012, nothing else," the IOC said.

The London organizers said the design was launched in 2007 after testing and consultation.

"We are surprised that this complaint has been made now," the committee said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=6167220

London 2012 Olympics: India threaten to boycott Games

Quote:
The Indian Olympic Association is considering boycotting the 2012 Olympics in protest at the London Organising Committee's sponsorship deal with Dow Chemical.

An extraordinary board meeting of the IOA will vote on the issue after a group of India’s current and former Olympians organised a petition calling for athletes not to travel to London.

The Dow sponsorship of the £7 million wrap around the Olympic Stadium in Stratford is particularly sensitive because the US-based company owns Union Carbide, which was responsible for one of the world’s biggest environmental catastrophes, the Bhopal chemical disaster in 1984.

“We feel that it will be against the basic principles of the Olympics charter to partner with Dow Chemical, which is responsible for the ongoing disaster in Bhopal,” the athletes wrote in their petition.

On Thursday, Bhopal politician Shivraj Singh Chauhan backed the athletes’ initiative and demanded that the Indian government support a boycott of the Olympics if the Dow sponsorship continued.

An Olympic boycott would represent a huge embarrassment to Locog. India, who are planning to send more than 50 athletes to London, might not have been expected to dominate the medal table but, as the world’s second biggest nation with one of the fastest growing economies, it is an important player on the global sporting stage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/8913881/London-2012-Olympics-India-threaten-to-boycott-Games.html

Although I haven't been able to find a link, I have heard the president of Argentina will be boycotting the games because of the ongoing dispute over the Falkland Islands.

Too much bullshit here, politics should have absolutely no standing at all when it comes to the Olympics. The Olympics are the greatest of all sporting events and that is all they should be, keep politics and all other bullshit away from the games and let the world's best athletes do their thing without a gray cloud hanging over the events.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:15 pm

The Olympics are a sporting event first, and a political event second. It's inevitable that certain groups with axes to grind will use the event as a podium to stand on (after all the world is watching) and express their displeasure about this or that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Another opportunity for the IOC to show who's boss... and tell all 3 countries to go fuck themselves.

Iran may not be bluffing and in that case, I say good riddance... Argentina and India are bluffing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:01 pm

raydan wrote:
Another opportunity for the IOC to show who's boss... and tell all 3 countries to go fuck themselves.

Iran may not be bluffing and in that case, I say good riddance... Argentina and India are bluffing.
[B-o]
How much of this political chicken shit are we supposed to take? The 3 countries can to go to hell and let the Olympics be what is is supposed to be.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Wow, that was one of the worst Opening Ceremonies I've ever seen!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:59 am

How so?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:49 am

Opening Ceremonies are usually lame, but this one was worse than most IMO.

They tried hard, but basically it boiled down to lots of good ideas poorly implemented.

I liked the idea of showcasing English literature, but what was the point of the National Healthcare Service bit before that? It was cool that they had all that British pop music from the 60s on, but the social media bit was really lame. That green hill looked pretty hideous and it seemed like the only colour that the Brits like is blue. I think they should have done more on history or culture too.

About the only cool things were the Mr. Bean bit and having the torch come up the Thames by boat.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:06 am

I personally really liked the opening ceremonies, but, to each his own.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:17 am

I liked them too. :?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:46 am

I thought the opening ceremonies were typically British.....poking fun at themselves while showcasing what is important to them. To each their own......I enjoyed most of it and always love the parade of athletes. I really like their Olympic Torch Cauldron.....very cool. The Chariots of Fire sequence was hilarious...so Mr Bean. :rock: Go, Canada, Go.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:59 am

I liked the British History part and forging the Olympic rings out of molten steel and them coming together in midair to form the logo was spectacular. Mr bean and the Queen bits were also cool, but the rest was pretty much lame, specially the Social networking bit.

The best flame lighting IMO was at Barcelona in 92.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSA9xUUXj6E

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:54 am

Canada gets its first medal! [cheer]

Quote:
Canada has its first medal of the London Olympics, which is a milestone for more reasons than one.

It’s a bronze to women’s synchronized three-metre divers Emilie Heymans and Jennifer Abel, who battled back from a sub-par second dive in the five-dive final to claw their way back to the podium.

Heymans becomes the first Canadian athlete to win a medal in four consecutive Summer Olympics.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/o ... le4447474/

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:20 pm

So I have the TV on, but not watching women's beach volleyball when I hear the play x play guy say, " they showed the knuckle. " 8O

What the hell did I miss? :(

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Not sure but I may start watching........... [drool]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:46 am

Regina wrote:
Not sure but I may start watching........... [drool]

Quote:
Published on Apr 14, 2012 by BeachTrainingTV

Knuckles are very useful tool on a beach volleyball court. They can get you out of all sorts of difficult situations.

Well that's been going on since the beginning of time. :roll:

OH!! those knuckles.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 11  Next