canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:33 pm

We have absolutely nothing to complain of.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Provided we continue to lead the Americans. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:00 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
they only won because someone told them there was Belgian chocolate inside the medals

[drool] [drool]
Yes! :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:26 pm

I mentioned Swiss chocolate to my Flemish spouse and got a glare, the other day.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
I mentioned Swiss chocolate to my Flemish spouse and got a glare, the other day.

8O
There's a one way ticket to a bad day. :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:20 pm

$1:
FORSBERG UNHAPPY WITH SELECTION OF CANADIAN OFFICIALS FOR FINAL

Colorado Avalanche and Swedish legend Peter Forsberg didn't mince words when it came to what he thought about Canadian referees working Sunday's gold medal game between Sweden and Canada.

"What a f___ing joke!" the seven-time All-Star said to Swedish reporters, calling the selection of officials Kelly Sutherland, Brad Meier, Greg Devorski and Derek Amell "comedy at its highest level."

Referees Sutherland and linesmen Devorski and Amell are Canadian, while referee Meier is an American who makes his home in Calgary.

Not all Swedes are seemingly as upset as Forsberg.

Veteran Swedish defenceman Niklas Kronwall of the Detroit Red Wings believes that both teams can benefit from North American officials.

"We are used to having referees from USA and Canada in the NHL," said Kronwall. "We know their standards so I think it's easier for us too if the referees are from there."

Former Norris Trophy winner and Ottawa Senators standout Erik Karlsson agreed with his fellow blueliner.

"I think most referees over there [in the National Hockey League] are Canadian, too," said Karlsson. "They probably support Montreal or Toronto, but they don't make any difference there. I couldn't care less about what the referees do. As you saw yesterday, we had two power plays, Finland had a lot, and we still won the game. It's nothing we can control and neither can Canada."

IIHF officiating manager Konstantin Komissarov later confirmed the evaluation process for tournament officials and why that quartet was selected to work the final.

"The main factor of the selection of these officials has most of all to do with their experience officiating in high-level competitions," said Komissarov on Saturday. "These include Stanley Cup playoffs, World Championship competitions, and Olympic competitions."

Komissarov stressed that an official's nationality doesn't play into the process.

"Their nationalities aren't considered as factors nor should they be, we want the best officials working the medal games," he said. "We are fully confident that with their experience and professionalism these officials will do their job well and preserve the integrity of the game."

The gold medal game between Canada and Sweden can be seen on TSN, streamed online and heard on TSN Radio on Sunday morning at 7am et/4am pt.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444453& ... ourCallTop

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
We have absolutely nothing to complain of.

100% right, Jabber. Every single one of our Olympians represented us to the best of their abilities and I am so proud of them. I am really looking forward to the post-Olympic analyses of the games from all quarters. There were a few things that went on during these Olympics that need further explanation. Bad ice conditions. Bad slope conditions. Judging in certain events. Things that have affected all the athletes.

I am watching the Men's slalom right now and whoever laid out this course must have been pissed to the eyeballs. What a mess - lost count of how many big names have crashed now. There goes another one - out of contention.

I am really happy that there will be no other teams using the ice before the Gold Medal hockey game tomorrow. The teams should at least have decent ice - for a change.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
$1:
FORSBERG UNHAPPY WITH SELECTION OF CANADIAN OFFICIALS FOR FINAL

Colorado Avalanche and Swedish legend Peter Forsberg didn't mince words when it came to what he thought about Canadian referees working Sunday's gold medal game between Sweden and Canada.

"What a f___ing joke!" the seven-time All-Star said to Swedish reporters, calling the selection of officials Kelly Sutherland, Brad Meier, Greg Devorski and Derek Amell "comedy at its highest level."

Referees Sutherland and linesmen Devorski and Amell are Canadian, while referee Meier is an American who makes his home in Calgary.

Not all Swedes are seemingly as upset as Forsberg.

Veteran Swedish defenceman Niklas Kronwall of the Detroit Red Wings believes that both teams can benefit from North American officials.

"We are used to having referees from USA and Canada in the NHL," said Kronwall. "We know their standards so I think it's easier for us too if the referees are from there."

Former Norris Trophy winner and Ottawa Senators standout Erik Karlsson agreed with his fellow blueliner.

"I think most referees over there [in the National Hockey League] are Canadian, too," said Karlsson. "They probably support Montreal or Toronto, but they don't make any difference there. I couldn't care less about what the referees do. As you saw yesterday, we had two power plays, Finland had a lot, and we still won the game. It's nothing we can control and neither can Canada."

IIHF officiating manager Konstantin Komissarov later confirmed the evaluation process for tournament officials and why that quartet was selected to work the final.

"The main factor of the selection of these officials has most of all to do with their experience officiating in high-level competitions," said Komissarov on Saturday. "These include Stanley Cup playoffs, World Championship competitions, and Olympic competitions."

Komissarov stressed that an official's nationality doesn't play into the process.

"Their nationalities aren't considered as factors nor should they be, we want the best officials working the medal games," he said. "We are fully confident that with their experience and professionalism these officials will do their job well and preserve the integrity of the game."

The gold medal game between Canada and Sweden can be seen on TSN, streamed online and heard on TSN Radio on Sunday morning at 7am et/4am pt.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444453& ... ourCallTop

Maybe he was hoping a British ref/linesman would butt their way into the game.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:21 pm

I can see Forsberg's point. Better to remove as much doubt as possible as to the impartiality of the refs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:51 pm

Maybe, the Swedes would prefer a French figure skating judge as a ref. They can be bought pretty cheaply, I understand.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:22 pm

I'd be worried the Canadian refs would be anti homer. Most of these guys play in North America and are currently familiar with that quality. I would only trust Canadian or USA officials anyway.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:52 pm

Nice job by team Finland today. They had a great tournament and deserved the win. Upset the Ruskies and then the US, not too shabby!

5am start tomorrow here.....Oy, going to bed at like 9 I think.... :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Stevie Y wasn't happy with Babcock and his line combinations for defence and forwards. As we saw with his selections he picked the team with set lines in mind. Didn't work for Russia and it's fantastic to see Babcock didn't buy into that one.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Props to NBC who are did a story on each player killed on the Locomotive team plane crash in Russia a few years ago.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 756 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 42  43  44  45  46  47  48 ... 51  Next