Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 19989
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:44 pm
 


The Opening Ceremonies are set to go at Sochi's Fisht Olympic Stadium on Feb 7, 8 pm (Sochi Time), 11 am EST. Canada took a record 14 Gold medals in the Vancouver 2010 games, I hope the athletes this year can match or better those results......

CBC Media Centre

Team Canada

Schedule and Results

GO CANADA


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13404
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:46 pm
 


Two Men's Hockey golds in a row would make my life more complete ...


Offline
Newbie
Newbie
Profile
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:34 pm
 


We are bringing home the gold even without Stamkos. You see our Goalies?! :rock:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 29204
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:09 pm
 


Title: Opening ceremony countdown underway in Sochi
Category: World
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2014-02-06 20:08:27
Canadian


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33691
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:09 pm
 


If you missed it live, it is worth sitting down and watching the replay on CBC.

Great show....


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 42160
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:14 pm
 


only real glitch was that dissident snowflake at the very beginning......they should have let Putin handle it. »He`d have gotten it to open up :lol:


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 19989
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:25 pm
 


Let the games begin.....

Image

Prior to the 2010 Vancouver games Canadian athletes were always considered to be the polite guys, the nice guys, the ones who always gave it their all but just couldn't make it to the top of the podium. That all changed in 2010 when Canada earned the most Gold medals (14) ever won by the host city. Our athletes may still be the nice, polite ones, but this year I hope it's going to be.....please excuse me but get out of our way as we have a podium to climb.....

Best wishes to all our athletes......give 'em Hell.....

GO CANADA!!


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 21295
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:30 pm
 


No to nit-pick, but we won 14 Golds in Vancouver...and Podborski has said he wants to do just as well this time around too! [B-o]


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 26048
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:40 pm
 


I came in during the spinning ballerinas with the streamer collars. They spinned, span, and spun. Spin, spin, spin...Bor-r-r-ing.

I changed the channel, but kept clicking back until I got a replay of the Canadian uniforms. It was all I really wanted to see anyway. They were all right, I guess. They weren't embarrassing or anything, anyway.


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 19989
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:49 pm
 


bootlegga wrote:
No to nit-pick, but we won 14 Golds in Vancouver...and Podborski has said he wants to do just as well this time around too! [B-o]


:oops: :oops: fixed, shouldn't go with the memory......sorry


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 65088
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:55 pm
 


I'll be watching this tonight on NBC. Looking forward to it, too! Reportedly a New York design firm came up with the whole thing!


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13404
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:03 pm
 


Did anyone notice how nostalgic they are about the Soviet period? They see it the way that North Americans thin k of the '50s. I can understand why they very quickly skipped through WWII ... no one lost more people than they did ... but turning Soviet Socialism into a kind of Art Deco warm and fuzzy is, I find very disturbing.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33691
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:25 pm
 


Jabberwalker wrote:
Did anyone notice how nostalgic they are about the Soviet period? They see it the way that North Americans thin k of the '50s. I can understand why they very quickly skipped through WWII ... no one lost more people than they did ... but turning Soviet Socialism into a kind of Art Deco warm and fuzzy is, I find very disturbing.


Showing the world Peter the Great, Catherine the Great, and the benefits after the
Revolution, including the space race, along with 1000 years of high culture, poetry, etc.

versus

Ivan the Terrible, Stalin killing millions, the Germans killing millions more,
Russian poverty and the struggle since 1989.


I know which list I would choose.


Russia is a big country, that show was just a reminder of how rich and long
Russian history really is.



That last bit with Tretiak lighting the cauldron was really cool to see,
although I think it was a direct shot across our bow. :)


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13404
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:34 pm
 


martin14 wrote:
Jabberwalker wrote:
Did anyone notice how nostalgic they are about the Soviet period? They see it the way that North Americans thin k of the '50s. I can understand why they very quickly skipped through WWII ... no one lost more people than they did ... but turning Soviet Socialism into a kind of Art Deco warm and fuzzy is, I find very disturbing.


Showing the world Peter the Great, Catherine the Great, and the benefits after the
Revolution, including the space race, along with 1000 years of high culture, poetry, etc.

versus

Ivan the Terrible, Stalin killing millions, the Germans killing millions more,
Russian poverty and the struggle since 1989.


I know which list I would choose.


Russia is a big country, that show was just a reminder of how rich and long
Russian history really is.



That last bit with Tretiak lighting the cauldron was really cool to see,
although I think it was a direct shot across our bow. :)



They are desperately trying to regain their mojo. I get that but if it is based on lies and "forgetfulness", it is of some concern to us. The Germans convinced themselves in the 20's that they weren't really defeated at all during WWI. Some of them even concluded that they lost the war because of Jewish machinations.

These things go to bad places. We also re-write our history but we tend go the other way and debunk our heroes, second guess our actions. It sounds weaker in a way but self-examination is a bit smarter, for the most part.


p.s. Tretiak is one cool guy. Fire away!


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13404
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:47 pm
 


I like the uniform. I heard someone on CBC whining that they were too "Mountie-like" and that the Cayman Islands team were brilliant because they wore flip-flops during the march past. Duuh.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 756 posts ]  1  2  3  4  5 ... 51  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.