bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:23 am

xerxes wrote:
Liking it so far except for the anthem. With all due respect to the pretty young singer, she butchered it.

^^ This. Our anthem is fine the way it is, really don't like how she butchered it.

The fiddle music was good but what they wore was really... I don't know something you expect to see in Revenge of the Nerds (1984 film).

I thought the Native stuff was pretty good, not the first bit where they did the stupid welcoming. The part with the polar bear and stuff. The big problem I had was the amount of time spent on the Natives, it was almost like they spent all the time and money planning that part and quickly put together the rest, though I guess that was to shut the Natives up for the games.

Did anyone see the shoes Nelly was wearing? Must have been nearly 6 inch platforms, and that dress... nice colour but looked like she was wearing the rubber grip of a pen.

The torch lighting was a fail, possible the most important part and we blew it.

I am glad we were able to stop the protesters from ruining the last bit where Wayne made that insanely long ride in the back of the pick-up.

Then there was the fat Gungan who needs to lay off the fast foods, his speech was awesome but seriously he looks like a fat Gungan from Star Wars.

I was talking to a bunch of buddies from Europe and they thought the opening ceremonies were a complete joke, I thought a lot of it was really poorly done for the amount of time we had to prepare for it. So I am wondering how the world will really view it.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:10 am

I was very disappointed, as far as I was concerned the whole affair was nothing but a process of appeasment through out, however 2 main points stood out for me:

1) French- Introduced in French first then English. All the country banners were French first then English. Then National anthem was a good 3/4 French.

2) The Natives- Now not saying no need to be included but come on! A good portion of the opening Ceremonies dedicated to one culture? Isn't Canada a land of mixed cultures? Oh that's right this is whole other can of worms.......

Overall, I was actually disappointed in the whole affair. The only part I enjoyed was when the various countries actually came out.

BTW anyone else notice the few upside down Canadian flags in the crowd.........

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:44 am

I found it slightly embarrassing that the 4th piller didn't come out of the ground..

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:40 am

I missed Gretzky in the truck part, did it seem like it was part of the show? I'm thinking that if the cauldron had worked properly, the one outside would have fired up on it's own some how.

Some of you described the Anthem as R&B, I thought it sounded more like a Christmas Carol at times. Here I'd just ragged on a couple of friends in the US on how bad Queen Latifah had screwed up America the Beautiful at the Super Bowl, and we get one of these ourselves. :oops:

There was lots that interested me and a few parts that had me on the remote, checking out what NBC were doing. Oh by the way, Tom Brokaw did us proud in his piece about Canada.

My last irritant was the flag poles, how hard is it to connect 2 poles to a compressor and have air come out the top so the flags are flying full out? At least it worked for our flag raising, after that it was embarrassing. The Olympic flag pole couldn't get enough air to blow a fart out a window.

I'd give the Native Dancers a pat on the back, now that was a work out. I noticed a few had taken a knee after 45 minutes or so, and I don't blame them.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:12 am

I can't believe the amount of nit picky, negative comments over the ceremonies.

Firstly, I'm guessing very few of you have ever been involved in the planning of an event of any magnitude. You know - the ones you spend months planning, and even though you've run through it a dozen times, at the last moment, some little hitch comes into play and something doesn't go quite right. So you make the most of it, do the best you can with your current situation and listen to a bunch of muttering by people who just now, sauntered through the door and apparently, hired themselves to critique your efforts.

The planning for last night's events started 4 years ago, has involved I do don't know how many thousands of volunteers, who have been busting their butts for months now, working 8, 10, 12 hours a day... Plus staff, probably working 12, 14, 16 hour days for the past months. This was a HUGE event. Massive. I think they did a fabulous job and by no stretch of the imagination do I think I could have done better, nor do I think I have the right to criticize the work that they did. Granted, not everything is going to be everyone's cup of tea. 'You can't please everyone, all of the time' comes to mind. So how about this - for those of you that are sitting there with your pencil and score sheets in hand, nattering on, "I can't believe they did this", "Why did they have that person", "What was that crap about?", "Why did they do that this way? It screwed it up", how about this: The next time our country, or your province, or your home town is organizing a large event, accommodating a diverse crowd, why don't YOU get involved in it. Maybe sacrifice a few of your holiday days, donate some of your time, input some of YOUR ideas, work YOUR ass off and make that event happen. Then, while the event is on and you and your co-planners/volunteers are feeling pretty good about yourselves, you can peer around the crowd, and eavesdrop on all of the people that have showed up to witness the fruits of your labour.... and nitpick it to death. People who had NOTHING to do with the planning, organizing, brainstorm sessions, budget restrictions, but all know what you should have done better.

The most embarrassing part of the opening ceremonies? Listening to the whining of the people did NOTHING whatsoever to help make it happen.

You are not good Canadians.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:15 am

wildrosegirl wrote:

Firstly, I'm guessing very few of you have ever been involved in the planning of an event of any magnitude. You know - the ones you spend months planning, and even though you've run through it a dozen times, at the last moment, some little hitch comes into play and something doesn't go quite right. So you make the most of it, do the best you can with your current situation and listen to a bunch of muttering by people who just now, sauntered through the door and apparently, hired themselves to critique your efforts.

The planning for last night's events started 4 years ago, has involved I do don't know how many thousands of volunteers, who have been busting their butts for months now, working 8, 10, 12 hours a day... Plus staff, probably working 12, 14, 16 hour days for the past months. This was a HUGE event. Massive. I think they did a fabulous job and by no stretch of the imagination do I think I could have done better, nor do I think I have the right to criticize the work that they did. Granted, not everything is going to be everyone's cup of tea. 'You can't please everyone, all of the time' comes to mind. So how about this - for those of you that are sitting there with your pencil and score sheets in hand, nattering on, "I can't believe they did this", "Why did they have that person", "What was that crap about?", "Why did they do that this way? It screwed it up", how about this: The next time our country, or your province, or your home town is organizing a large event, accommodating a diverse crowd, why don't YOU get involved in it. Maybe sacrifice a few of your holiday days, donate some of your time, input some of YOUR ideas, work YOUR ass off and make that event happen. Then, while the event is on and you and your co-planners/volunteers are feeling pretty good about yourselves, you can peer around the crowd, and eavesdrop on all of the people that have showed up to witness the fruits of your labour.... and nitpick it to death. People who had NOTHING to do with the planning, organizing, brainstorm sessions, budget restrictions, but all know what you should have done better.

The most embarrassing part of the opening ceremonies? Listening to the whining of the people did NOTHING whatsoever to help make it happen.

WAY TO GO GIRL!!!
Kick some ass!!!

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:48 am

That was pretty cool. I thought the entire opening ceremonies were pretty cool though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:54 am

Like any large scale event there were good points and bad points and naturally people will discuss them. I certainly don't agree that to dislike any aspect and voice that dislike makes anyone a "bad" Canadian, just an opinionated one lol.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:55 am

Don't good Canadians stay home to watch and go for supper some other night? :roll:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:02 am

wildrosegirl wrote:

No one here is faulting the efforts of the volunteers. They are to be commended. As you yourself knows, volunteers work under paid directors. They are the ones whose feet are being held to the torch for this mediocre performance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:03 am

Brenda wrote:
wildrosegirl wrote:

WAY TO GO GIRL!!!
Kick some ass!!!

Seconded. Too many Whiners in this world.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05 am

HEY whats that sports name where you slide a rock across the ice and use brooms in front of it. The guy I work with is all into it from last winter games but cant rem. the name of it.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:06 am

stratos wrote:
HEY whats that sports name where you slide a rock across the ice and use brooms in front of it. The guy I work with is all into it from last winter games but cant rem. the name of it.

:lol: Curling.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks just could not rem. the name of the sport. :rock:

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:09 am

Alta_redneck wrote:
Don't good Canadians stay home to watch and go for supper some other night? :roll:

No. But they did not sit here and shun the efforts of the thousands of people who put their heart and soul into the event when they watched the rebroadcast either.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next