canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:11 pm

herbie wrote:
I had to drive back to town and missed part of it, so I was switching between CTV and NBC. The Yanks were impressed, but I think they were expecting more of a welcome for their team. Don't realize they're a competitor and we don't like the politicize the Games as much, that Georgia got a standing O out of respect.
As for KD Lang, you're way off the mark! Her lifestyle and veggie status mean shit, she's one of the greatest singers to come out of this country, ever. With the emphasis on native culture we're lucky we weren't subjected to Buffy St Marie's huffing and puffing...

She's so popular out here that her 'own village' doesn't even acknowledge her existence. Her 'Beef stinks' ads were a slap in the face to her parents , who by the way, used 'beef money' to support her career ambitions, as well as many many others from the area who supported her and rely on beef for their livlihood. She has forgotten where she came from!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Yogi wrote:
Brenda wrote:
I just want to make clear that the Olympic hymn (the opera singer) is something that they HAVE TO do. Just like the Anthem. It was not a choice.

OK. Tell me this; Was the Olympic hymm written and put to music originally with an opera singer in mind?

Does that matter?
Fact is, they covered all sorts of music, except for rap (thank goodness).

A little respect for others preferences would be very... Canadian!

(I am not into opera either, but I do have respect for the fact others do, and I was actually impressed with the amount of sound that came out of her. Did you see how far away she was from the mic? And compare that with nelly Furtado, who imho didnt belong there, and didnt sing live. But i ain't bitching.)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:30 pm

Brenda wrote:
Yogi wrote:
Brenda wrote:
I just want to make clear that the Olympic hymn (the opera singer) is something that they HAVE TO do. Just like the Anthem. It was not a choice.

OK. Tell me this; Was the Olympic hymm written and put to music originally with an opera singer in mind?

Does that matter?
Fact is, they covered all sorts of music, except for rap (thank goodness).

A little respect for others preferences would be very... Canadian!

(I am not into opera either, but I do have respect for the fact others do, and I was actually impressed with the amount of sound that came out of her. Did you see how far away she was from the mic? And compare that with nelly Furtado, who imho didnt belong there, and didnt sing live. But i ain't bitching.)

That's your right to bitch. Or not! I thought Nelly looked classy, didn't care for her song either. But I understood it!

Did some research. The vision of the composer was that the Oly Hymn be sung by a choral group.

So that song also was butchered!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:36 pm

You could also say that Canada is giving its own twist to it all, which is, imo, something to aplaud. Isn't that what we want? To stand out, and not be a sheep?

What was there to understand about Nelly Furtado tho? Just because she is Canadian? So was the opera singer, the anthem singer and everyone else who performed. Only difference... Furtado can't sing, and had a designer drama wrapped around her body. Loved the colour tho, I got married in that colour :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Brenda wrote:
You could also say that Canada is giving its own twist to it all, which is, imo, something to aplaud. Isn't that what we want? To stand out, and not be a sheep?

What was there to understand about Nelly Furtado tho? Just because she is Canadian? So was the opera singer, the anthem singer and everyone else who performed. Only difference... Furtado can't sing, and had a designer drama wrapped around her body. Loved the colour tho, I got married in that colour :lol:

Then compose our own song and don't allow it to be twisted into something totally unrecognizable as was done! Perhaps the National Anthem done in RAP by A Canadian!!!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Why? I ain't bitching. EVERY song I know that has been covered has been done in a different way than originally meant to.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Two Reasons for why bitching about the French component is Fail

1) Official language of Canada
2) Official Language of the Olympics(English being the other)

Fail

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:24 pm

sandorski wrote:
Two Reasons for why bitching about the French component is Fail

1) Official language of Canada
2) Official Language of the Olympics(English being the other)

Fail

So we invite people into our home and then speak in a language that most of them don't understand. That's real classy!

FYI. I speak & read a bit of French,can understand a French conversation, and usually partake by responding in English. We get by. Usually though, if the majority present speak/understand English, that is the language of conversation!

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:26 pm

In my opinion the opening ceremonies were not outstanding, but I would say they were fairly good. The national anthem was, to put it bluntly, butchered, sing it like it was written, never mind the personal additions or interpretations. As for the official flame cauldron, it looks like something a child would put together with a mechano set, never mind that it is supposed to look like the twigs of a cottage bonfire.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:27 pm

It was all translated on a big screen. There was even a deaf-translator. Jesus Christ, its ok you are against the games, I was. But its inevitable, and I refuse to bash the efforts ALL people have made, including John Furlong and his team.

That you don't speak both official languages of your country is not on the IOC, but on the Canadian education system, that obviously failed on you.

If you can't beat them, join them.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Brenda wrote:
It was all translated on a big screen. There was even a deaf-translator. Jesus Christ, its ok you are against the games, I was. But its inevitable, and I refuse to bash the efforts ALL people have made, including John Furlong and his team.

That you don't speak both official languages of your country is not on the IOC, but on the Canadian education system, that obviously failed on you.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Are you being dense on purpose B?

The French segments ARE NOT AN ISSUE WITH ME PERSONALLY! I felt/feel that it was purely ignorant and rude to 'our guests'!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Did we all speak Chinese? NOPE. Did we bitch? NOPE!
English is not sacred.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:10 pm

Overall I was disappointed in the ceremony. Obviously didn't go on without a hitch and had too much content that I didn't think belonged. Although the girl who sang O'Canada had a beautiful voice, I did not like her version in the least. It seriously lacked any life until the fiddles came out.........and I'm not a fiddle fan at best. Never thought I'd say this.............but they should have hired someone from Hollywood to run that gig.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Regina wrote:
Overall I was disappointed in the ceremony. Obviously didn't go on without a hitch and had too much content that I didn't think belonged. Although the girl who sang O'Canada had a beautiful voice, I did not like her version in the least. It seriously lacked any life until the fiddles came out.........and I'm not a fiddle fan at best. Never thought I'd say this.............but they should have hired someone from Hollywood to run that gig.

R=UP
I think Canada is going to come out of this looking like a 'skinny little 14 yr old white boy 'gangsta wannabe'. Hope I'm wrong!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:23 pm

SVEN GOT GOOOOLLLLDDDDDDD!!!!

Welcome to Svencouver! ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  Next