CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:05 am

Last week two bills, 146 and 147, was introduced in Ontario Legislature. These bills when becomes a law will potentially impact Ontario employers. Bill 146 (Stronger workplaces for stronger economic act) was introduced by Ontario government. Whereas, the Bill 147 (An act to amend the human rights code with respect to the awarding of costs of proceedings) was introduced by opposition Progressive Conservative party. For more info: http://www.casselsbrock.com/CBNewslette ... 6_and_147_.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:47 am

Unpaid wages is an issue I have never experienced but just yesterday I learned of it first hand.

I went to a trucking company near the Airport (malton) to pick up an order.

The place was locked down like I would imagine the Canadian Mint is. When I got into the back yard loading area the doors were locked.

There were various trucks coming in with that companies name on them so I went up to one driver and asked how do I get in the building since there was no door bell and the door was locked.

He told me to go see another driver who had a radio and could call someone.

I do so and the guy calls in and tells them I'm there. He then offers to me that "this company works you like a dog and doesn't pay you". I look at him and he continues "that guy you first asked has missed 7 pays. I just started her and they missed my first pay".

I responded that's no good but you should go to the Labour Board and complain about it. He disses the idea of the LB because he made a complaint to them before about $300.00 he was owed from elsewhere and it's been a year and a half and nothing.

He then says if these guys don't pay him this week he is going to a lawyer and putting a lien on the business.

I felt bad for them but I hope he follows through if they don't get paid.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:51 am

Seems the Liberals are doing everything they can to appeal to Ontario voters. They (liberals) had a long time under Dalton to address the worker protection roll backs of the Harris Cons but up until now, nothing but it's a start.

And because they did nothing I'm thinking this is something the NDP wants and to that I say good for them.

Of course Alberta is going Tea Party

The Conservative political movement in Canada has decided to test the outer limits of the Constitutional freedom to associate, passing progressively more draconian restrictions on worker associations. The latest battle ground is conservative Alberta, where the Conservative Party has past such draconian anti-collective bargaining laws that all three opposition parties (including the Wild Rose Party) argued the government had gone too far. The ultimate goal is to give employers the right to unilaterally set working conditions and to strip workers of any legal right to pressure for improvements. Weakening the labour movement is a key pillar in the Conservative master plan to limit dissenting voices to their policies.

How the Supreme Court responds to this aggressive attack on collective rights is among the most pressing public policy questions in Canada today. It’s no hyperbole to state that the outcome of this battle will have dramatic affects on the future of Canadian society. Will Canada continue to have a relatively strong record on income equality and middle class compared to the United States, or will we follow the American model of stripping workers of power to bargain a decent share of productivity gains? In the United States, unionization is now at about 7 percent, and income inequality is the highest in the advanced economic world. The two statistics are directly linked. We know precisely what the results of the coordinated Conservative attack on Canadian collective bargaining will be: greater income inequality in Canada and a weaker middle class. Of this, there is no doubt.

read more

http://lawofwork.ca/?p=7155