bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:36 pm

Well it seems McGuinty is going to merge the PST and GST to make things easier for business to collect the taxes. Even the NDP have jumped on him over this latest unpopular decision. Oh well. I saved a bundle buying my new place before this money grab took effect.

But I guess this is what have-not provinces do. Merge taxes and have them placed on things that were GST exempt.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:47 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Well it seems McGuinty is going to merge the PST and GST to make things easier for business to collect the taxes. Even the NDP have jumped on him over this latest unpopular decision. Oh well. I saved a bundle buying my new place before this money grab took effect.

But I guess this is what have-not provinces do. Merge taxes and have them placed on things that were GST exempt.

Didn't they do this in Nova Scotia years ago?

If I remember correctly the people were none to pleased, since they felt they were being blindsided when they went to buy something.

They felt any savings from the harmonized tax should have gone to reducing the PST, and instead "Their" money went directly to the Province and became just another tax.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
2Cdo 2Cdo:

If I remember correctly the people were none to pleased, since they felt they were being blindsided when they went to buy something.

They felt any savings from the harmonized tax should have gone to reducing the PST, and instead "Their" money went directly to the Province and became just another tax.

I think most of the Maritimes have a harmonized tax.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:11 pm

I really need to jump this ship, like I need the boost in my bills... :roll:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:06 pm

another poorly though out economic idea from mcguinty , he is leading this province no where . we are now a have not province with rising unemployment ( of course its not his fault even though he has been premier since 2003 ) , to help this problem he has decided to spend us deep into deficit and introduce this new tax measure . this province is doomed to fail under his leadership . the sooner we get new leadership at queens park the better .

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:29 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:

Actually, they are merging taxes and having them placed on things that were PST exempt.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:52 pm

Ahh...thank God for parents in the USA, a flat 6% sales tax. Mmmm...Fuck you Dalton.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:56 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
Ahh...thank God for parents in the USA, a flat 6% sales tax. Mmmm...Fuck you Dalton.

Alberta is 5% all the time. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:01 pm

[moon]

Last edited by Lemmy on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:43 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Well, we may be paying more sales tax, but most of us'll be paying a goddamn lot less income tax. Thanks a lot, Dalt. [moon]

yeah many of us are paying less income tax in ontario , its called unemployment and its plaging this province and we will soon be the next michigan if things continue for much longer .

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:33 am

[q

Last edited by Lemmy on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:50 am

Ripcat Ripcat:
2Cdo 2Cdo:

Actually, they are merging taxes and having them placed on things that were PST exempt.

My bad, I knew that merging involved placing one of the taxes on things that weren't previously taxed. I just picked the wrong one! :oops:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:10 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
2Cdo 2Cdo:

I think most of the Maritimes have a harmonized tax.

Word, but we always had both PST and GST on most things. Didn't really change much, but if you guys don't have one or the other on some things, that'd suck.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:11 pm

According to what I'm reading its business that have been demanding it and that it will save us at the manufacturing level (although I'm not sure how). We'll also be getting a tax rebate to compensate.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:16 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
According to what I'm reading its business that have been demanding it and that it will save us at the manufacturing level (although I'm not sure how). We'll also be getting a tax rebate to compensate.

But will the rebate even remotely cover what we spend extra with the harmonized tax? 8O Just on fuel and home heating some might pay a lot more. Not to mention that the rebates are a one-time deal versus the tax that is here to stay! :?