bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:58 am

saturn_656 wrote:
If Curtman lived in Ontario, he wouldn't be grinning so wide.

Another four years of tax hikes and irresponsible government, fuck me. :(

He lives in Manitoba, which has been NDP for how long now - i think he knows all about tax hikes! :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:00 am

Curtman wrote:
commanderkai wrote:
saturn_656 wrote:

Yeah. Oh well. People vote for the government they deserve. Sadly, I guess a majority of people in Ontario want a shitty one.

Its nice to see the Conservatives doing the whining again.

Up yours Curtman. The man has cost my family a fair bit of money and hit our bottom line hard.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:03 am

bootlegga wrote:
saturn_656 wrote:

He lives in Manitoba, which has been NDP for how long now - i think he knows all about tax hikes! :lol:

I think he'd sign over all his income if the NDP asked.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:14 am

Lemmy wrote:
Nearly 80% of Ontario's provincial budget is Healthcare. The population is aging. Of course there will be tax hikes at the provincial level. It's unavoidable, unless you're suggesting we start euthanizing the Baby Boomers. No one in Ontario is happy with McGuinty, but Mike Harris' slash and burn of healthcare and education in this province is too fresh in our minds and this election reflects that. Ontarians want those two items protected. That's what provincial government is all about, healthcare and education. We have a federal conservative government and a liberal provincial one and, for me, that's the best overall scenario.

Man, 30% of the population can cause 80% of the budget to vanish...

Am I the only one that sees some serious problems with this?

I am also curious as to what healthcare would costs sans the aging population, a base line if you will.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:17 am

Gee...the left was using the same argument to support their view that harper doesn't have a mandate to rule...yet when you just change the party names, suddenly ...hypocrisy. Quelle suprise.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:27 am

ShepherdsDog wrote:
I think if you look at the total number of eligible voters, only 49% bothered to vote in the election. And, with the Libs only garnering 38% of those who voted, it works out to something like 81% of eligible Ontario voters not voting for them. Ain't democracy wonderful.

Yeah, welcome to the wonderful world of first past the post! This is a fact of life as long as Canada (and in this case Ontario) continues use such an antiquated system of voting.

I bet the results would be far different if they had STV or some other form of PR (although to make it 100% effective we'd also need legislation forcing everyone to vote like Australia has).

Of course, the big parties all hate PR because it erodes their seat count.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:34 am

Lemmy wrote:
saturn_656 wrote:

Nearly 80% of Ontario's provincial budget is Healthcare. The population is aging. Of course there will be tax hikes at the provincial level. It's unavoidable, unless you're suggesting we start euthanizing the Baby Boomers. No one in Ontario is happy with McGuinty, but Mike Harris' slash and burn of healthcare and education in this province is too fresh in our minds and this election reflects that. Ontarians want those two items protected. That's what provincial government is all about, healthcare and education. We have a federal conservative government and a liberal provincial one and, for me, that's the best overall scenario.

Sorry, Lemmy. But I'm not going to sit down and swallow the line (or as Dalton calls it, medicine) that the only way out of the mess his and past governments have left us with is to stick their hands a little deeper in my pocket.

What pisses me off even more is that the last two times the man ran, he ran against tax hikes, then he turns around after he was first elected and hits us with the largest tax increase in recent history (his so called health tax). Second time around it was the HST.

I can't wait to see how he'll steal a little more money out of our bank account on his third go around.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:35 am

Four more years without driving the poor into deeper poverty. Four more years without the resumption of the war on teachers. Four more years without further damage to the Healthcare system.

Four more without a government determined to prevent the greening of the Province.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:39 am

eureka wrote:
Four more years without driving the poor into deeper poverty. Four more years without the resumption of the war on teachers. Four more years without further damage to the Healthcare system.

Four more without a government determined to prevent the greening of the Province.

Ladies and gentleman, meet a member of the "18%" :?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:40 am

bootlegga wrote:
saturn_656 wrote:

Oh yeah. Its just horrible.

Quote:
Tax cuts include modest increases in the basic personal income tax exemption of $250 a year for the next four years ($1,000 in total). There are also improvements to several tax credits and the creation of a new children’s arts and cultural activity tax credit to help offset the costs of such things as music, drama and art instruction as well as personal tutoring.

The province expects a family of four to save $212 in the coming year due to its tax-cutting measures. The tax cuts are expected to remove 5,600 Manitobans from tax rolls in 2011 and 22,000 by 2014.

McFadyen said he was pleased to see "a lot of new initiatives in the budget" that his party has been calling for for a long time, including increasing policing levels and investments in schools, hospitals and other community infrastructure.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:43 am

eureka wrote:

No, but four more years of pushing the middle class down to join the lower class!
Four more years of higher than average raises for public sector unions.
Four more years of wait times and not enough doctors for everyone in the province.
Four more years of giving billions of dollars to foreign "green" companies that drive up our heating and electrical costs.

Oh well, time to head back west.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:48 am

ShepherdsDog wrote:
Gee...the left was using the same argument to support their view that harper doesn't have a mandate to rule...yet when you just change the party names, suddenly ...hypocrisy. Quelle suprise.

Ya, you notice they don't say a fucking word about it now,
and wont even respond to your posts ?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:58 am

Wow, everybody getting so partisan.

Let's see if a minority McGuinity creates a happier Ontario.

Maybe the compromises he will be forced to make will benefit?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:59 am

peck420 wrote:
Lemmy wrote:

Man, 30% of the population can cause 80% of the budget to vanish...

Am I the only one that sees some serious problems with this?

I am also curious as to what healthcare would costs sans the aging population, a base line if you will.

It's fun when you use bullshit figures, no? Especially when they're presented by a PhD Economist.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/economy/ltr/2010/ch3.html

Quote:
Health care costs make up 42 per cent of the Ontario government’s total program spending and in the near future that could rise to 50 per cent if health care costs grow faster than other areas of government spending.

At some point we will all be part of that 30%. The greatest healthcare expenditures are during the 1st and last year of life. There would be savings to be had there if we didn't insist on keeping barely viable premies alive or trying to prolong life of the very old or very sick who have no quality of life anyway. And lots of savings to be had if we would take on the doctor monopoly, employ way more nurse practitioners to do what doctors do now and pay doctors a salary instead of fee for service. Using a national drug plan would also save a bundle, as would providing basic dental care.

An analysis in BC also pointed out that healthcare spending there has remained quite constant in terms of GDP. The reason healthcare spending is taking up an ever increasing slice of the pie is because other program spending has been reduced so much. BC govt spending as a percentage of GDP has not gone up.

Last edited by andyt on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:01 am

I'm not happy that this lot got back in again but Hudak wasn't really convincing me that he would be any better. Dalton lied and jammed us with the health-care premium. Eight years later we still have no new hospitals or even more beds in the region I live in.

With the provincial 'smart growth', ie, build hundreds of thousands of new houses with no new highways or hospitals, my regions population has risen 40% in eight years, and still no new hospitals. A few windmills though.

My view is that Dalton's tax and spend days have come to an end with this minority government. The result is probably the best one for Ontario at this present time as Hudak does not inspire confidence.