Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Coach85 wrote:
BeaverFever wrote:
Glad I was able to lure you back !

No as we’ve already established here on the MiDFO thread , the Child Youth Advocate office was killed by Ford. You had severe posts defending it.

Hasn't happened yet. Will happen in the Spring. New budget, remember? Pushing those cases into the ombudsman's office isn't a bad thing. Independent of the government.

It’s still a Doug Ford layoff contrary to his election campaign claims.

Quote:
BeaverFever wrote:
The $25 million special education funding cut is also a Ford gift to the people

..,This program worth 400 million and was only for Indigenous and racialized students.

That is not correct.

Quote:
As we have seen from the boards, the money gets funnelled into the coffers and they can't really say where and how the money is being spent.

Where have we seen that, exactly?

BeaverFever wrote:
I’m not aware of any mass layoffs under the liberals.

I challenge you.

This election coming up, be less partisan. That comment just shows how tight your blinders were on during our last government. They did some good but they also did some bad and you need to acknowledge that. Gone are the days the Conservatives can say they're good fiscal managers and the Liberals are good stewards of our social programs.

Quote:

From the article:

Quote:
Union president Linda Haslam-Stroud says the Liberals may say they hired 24,000 nurses since they were first elected in 2003, but reality is 625 registered nursing positions have been cut in Ontario this year, mainly at hospitals.

Although I am never a fan of cuts, I promise if Doug hires 24,000, over 12 years I will not begrudge him if he then corrects it back by a few hundred

Quote:
We had doctors protesting at Queen's Park:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.3550454

Ontario doctors say ‘government mismanagement’ to blame for broken health-care system
https://globalnews.ca/news/4120816/onta ... re-system/

Yeah my dad was a doctor so I’m not unsympathetic to their demand for fee increases, everyone needs a raise every now and then, even doctors....especially those whose practice/specialty requires they buy and maintain expensive medical equipment. But that’s not really cuts or layoffs IMO....Note that there was no policy change under Ford and the dispute was just settled in binding arbitration in recent weeks.

Quote:
Point being....all these parties are the same. The only difference is what side of the House they're on.

You really think there’s no difference between Wynne and Ford? I think there are natural limits to what the public is willing to accept from any government at a given point in time and that the public had certain values that a government has to publicly claim to hold even if they really don’t, but there are still huge differences. [/quote]

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:49 pm

BeaverFever wrote:

Yep. Won't be his last either.

Plans change. This is why we should never expect politicians to make promises. There hasn't been one in the history of this Province that's ever delivered on them all. Just give us a list of things you want to do and we'll go from there.

BeaverFever wrote:

Having a seat at the table with my local trustee and superintendent, I can tell you that money coming under that particular program in isn't on a separate line in the budget.

BeaverFever wrote:
Quote:
Union president Linda Haslam-Stroud says the Liberals may say they hired 24,000 nurses since they were first elected in 2003, but reality is 625 registered nursing positions have been cut in Ontario this year, mainly at hospitals.

Although I am never a fan of cuts, I promise if Doug hires 24,000, over 12 years I will not begrudge him if he then corrects it back by a few hundred

The other issue here is the term 'nurses' as it's spun to include all 3 types. RN's, RPN's and NP's.

We continue to cut the more expensive RN's and push for more RPN's. If we go back to 2008, we have 109,000 RN's. In 2017, we had 104,000. Yes, we have more....but we added more and chopped 5k.

BeaverFever wrote:
You really think there’s no difference between Wynne and Ford? I think there are natural limits to what the public is willing to accept from any government at a given point in time and that the public had certain values that a government has to publicly claim to hold even if they really don’t, but there are still huge differences.

Huge differences in presentation and perception but at the end of the day, they're just two people bound by the same rules. Two people that just wanted to do a good job and felt that what they did was best for us.

I've been in the 'game' for a long time. I was pressing buttons for municipal elections when I was in elementary school.

99.9% of the men and women I've met in politics are good people. I think that each Premier, Mayor or PM, etc leaves Canada/Ontario/Cities a little better when they leave. I think if we take the blinders off, we can see that.

You are very loyal to the Liberal brand yet you don't owe them anything and if you want better people in office, you need to hold them accountable just as much as everyone else does.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:21 pm

Coach85 wrote:
BeaverFever wrote:

Plans change. This is why we should never expect politicians to make promises. There hasn't been one in the history of this Province that's ever delivered on them all. Just give us a list of things you want to do and we'll go from there.

How does that statement align sith:

Coach85 wrote:
I don’t get Ontario.

Mad when buck a beer was gone. Mad because a guy is following through on his promises. Now we’re mad again because buck a beer is coming back?

Can’t we go back to the days of the Liberals where we were lied to and no promises were kept? Everyone was much happier then.

And

Coach85 wrote:

It's also an election promise, something you'd be sure to rip him for if he backed off. Instead, you note is as a stupid gimmick.

Following through on what you say is why it's a pressing concern for government. I know we're not used to this sort of thing at any level of government but it's kinda nice to see, even if I don't care or agree with what he's doing.

And

Coach85 wrote:
Lots of things in campaigns are gimmicks dressed up with pretty words and put inside a campaign document to entice people to vote for them.

The difference is, usually they're floated out there and then nothing happens. This time, something actually happened. You enjoy being lied too. I get it. This is new and uncomfortable territory for Ontario Liberals.

... While I don't care for the idea and fully believe it's a gimmick, the man has followed through.

There is something to be said about a politician that follows through on his promises.

The “keeping election promises” thing was a repeated theme on the buck-a-beer thread:

http://www.canadaka.net/forums/current- ... hilit=Beer

Quote:
BeaverFever wrote:

Having a seat at the table with my local trustee and superintendent, I can tell you that money coming under that particular program in isn't on a separate line in the budget.

...so we haven’t seen it then. Taking you at your word and assuming it’s accurate still only means it’s anecdotal and doesn’t prove it’s representative of neary5,000 schols across the province

Quote:
The other issue here is the term 'nurses' as it's spun to include all 3 types. RN's, RPN's and NP's.

We continue to cut the more expensive RN's and push for more RPN's. If we go back to 2008, we have 109,000 RN's. In 2017, we had 104,000. Yes, we have more....but we added more and chopped 5k.
. Has that been detrimental or efficient? Have there been many cases where RPNs and LPNs were available but only a RN would suffice?

Quote:
Huge differences in presentation and perception but at the end of the day, they're just two people bound by the same rules. Two people that just wanted to do a good job and felt that what they did was best for us.

I've been in the 'game' for a long time. I was pressing buttons for municipal elections when I was in elementary school.

99.9% of the men and women I've met in politics are good people. I think that each Premier, Mayor or PM, etc leaves Canada/Ontario/Cities a little better when they leave. I think if we take the blinders off, we can see that.

You are very loyal to the Liberal brand yet you don't owe them anything and if you want better people in office, you need to hold them accountable just as much as everyone else does.

I don’t care about the Liberal brand. I disliked the Igatieff government and refused to vote in his election. I dislike Paul Martin’s big. business politics. I’d vote NDP in heartbeat if I thought they had a chance and it wouldn’t split the left vote and deliver s conservative government. Next Ontario election is probably going to be that time.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:05 pm

BeaverFever wrote:
Coach85 wrote:
BeaverFever wrote:

How does that statement align sith:

Aligns quite well, actually.

I don't think politicians should make promises. If they do, it should be acknowledged and if they don't, just the same. We have people mad when they do keep promises and mad when they don't.

There is something to be said for people that follow through on their promises. Doug Ford has proved he's just like the rest of them. He shouldn't have made promises he couldn't keep.

It's a flaw in our system. We wait like sheep for promises during election time.

BeaverFever wrote:
Has that been detrimental or efficient? Have there been many cases where RPNs and LPNs were available but only a RN would suffice?

Don't know. The point was simply to note the amount of nurses cut to remind you that it did take place under the Liberals.

BeaverFever wrote:
I don’t care about the Liberal brand. I disliked the Igatieff government and refused to vote in his election. I dislike Paul Martin’s big. business politics. I’d vote NDP in heartbeat if I thought they had a chance and it wouldn’t split the left vote and deliver s conservative government. Next Ontario election is probably going to be that time.

Just stop. Own it. You are a Liberal guy through and through. I have seen you time and time again defend the indefensible simply because of the party that leader was under. There's nothing wrong with that as the Liberal party in Canada and Ontario does quite well.

Over the last 12-18 months, I've had some serious health issues. This has caused a lot of deep reflection, especially as it pertains to politics.

The Ontario Liberals and Federal Liberals don't give a shit about you yet you've gone to great lengths...for what? Your personal bias? How many times have we defended the actions of a politician for no other reason than we feel the need to protect a 'brand'? It's pathetic.

I've voted for 2 parties in my lifetime and this time around, I'm going 100% selfish. The party or candidate that best serves me, my family and my community the best will get my vote. They matter to me more than a political party.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 pm

Coach85 wrote:

I don't think politicians should make promises. If they do, it should be acknowledged and if they don't, just the same. We have people mad when they do keep promises and mad when they don't.

There is something to be said for people that follow through on their promises. Doug Ford has proved he's just like the rest of them. He shouldn't have made promises he couldn't keep.
. I feel like you’re not so forgiving when Liberals don't keep a promise

Quote:
BeaverFever wrote:

Just stop. Own it. You are a Liberal guy through and through. I have seen you time and time again defend the indefensible simply because of the party that leader was under. There's nothing wrong with that as the Liberal party in Canada and Ontario does quite well.

Over the last 12-18 months, I've had some serious health issues. This has caused a lot of deep reflection, especially as it pertains to politics.

The Ontario Liberals and Federal Liberals don't give a shit about you yet you've gone to great lengths...for what? Your personal bias? How many times have we defended the actions of a politician for no other reason than we feel the need to protect a 'brand'? It's pathetic.

I've voted for 2 parties in my lifetime and this time around, I'm going 100% selfish. The party or candidate that best serves me, my family and my community the best will get my vote. They matter to me more than a political party.

What “indefensible” things have I defended? I think you’re referring to any attempt to bring any balance to the one-sided hate-fest certain people have for Trudeau and Wynne. The attitude you people have is that anyone who doesn’t join in your pile-on ought to keep their mouth shut and let you set the narrative and accept your biased version of events as the only version. Funny you think tue anti-liberal opinions here are unbiased and only anything conflicting with that is biased. And Naturally, you don’t notice all the times I deliberately say nothing when I think the criticism is fair and measured...something that’s pretty rare on CKA

So given Doug’s recent health cuts and today’s announcement that billions more in cuts are coming, do you really think this government is the one that best serves you and your health issues?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:10 pm

Today in Doug Ford’s Ontario,

It’s been revealed that The Premier eho promised no deep cuts has in fact been planning deep cuts.

MiDFO has been on a brief hiatus the past couple of months not because Doug hasn’t been busy. Here’s a Roundup:

CAMPAIGN FINANCE SCANDAL:

1) Although Doug and the PCs screamed bloody murder over the made-up controversy of Liberals hosting high-price fundraising dinners attended by Cabinet members at the Liberals in response made the practice illegal, Doug promptly re-legalized it and upped the maximum political contribution.

2) Post election, Doug has continued to call on Conservative voters “to make the maximum donation” to the Doug Ford campaign and also a separate “maximum donation” to the PC party in general. Individual election campaigns are allowed to collect donations for a brief period after an election in order to pay their campaign debts. Doug being born a multimillionaire has no debts for his campaign so any donations they received by law must be turned over to the party. So essentially they are trying to use a loophole to allow supporters to make a double donation to the party.

ENVIRONMENT:

As predicted, the conservatives have tabled legislation to basically dismantle the Endangered Species Act. Once legislation is passed, any developer or municipality that wants to bypass the requirements of the ESA can do so by paying a fee. Also the Tory Minister of the Environment can, at his sole discretion, suspend the protections of any species on the endangered species list. The scientists who administer the ESA are also brought under closer political control as the Act dictates new criteria scientists must consider when assessing the status of a species - specifically, a species on the brink of extinction in Ontario might not qualify for ESA protection if it is doing well in other parts of the world. The scientists must re-assess any species on the list upon the Ministers command.

BUDGET CUTS &WAR ON CITIES: Ford has cut hundreds of millions in funding for public health, tree-planting, flood control, libraries, childcare, and out-of-country emergency health coverage, in addition to cuts to legal aid and increasing school class sizes while holding back education funding, all resulting in numerous layoffs. Today it was revealed that the Ford government will need to make another $6 BILLION in cuts to reach their stated fiscal goal. None of this stopped him from giving a$300” million tax break to the wealthiest Ontarions though.

Just another day in Ford’s s Ontario

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:25 am

How Canada became a hotspot for artificial intelligence research

Ontario government cuts $24 million in AI research funding

BeaverFever wrote:

This is why we can't have anything nice.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:16 pm

Quote:
10 ex-Ontario health ministers issue joint letter decrying 'attack on public health'

CBC News
'This attack on public health has prompted us to break our silence,' says letter to Christine Elliott

Posted: May 23, 2019
Last Updated: 9 Hours Ago

Ten former Ontario health ministers from across the political spectrum have taken the rare step of sending a joint letter to the provincial government, imploring it to reverse millions of dollars in public health cuts they say put the province "at risk."

The letter, sent to Health Minister Christine Elliott on Thursday morning, was signed by:

ADVERTISEMENT

Dennis Timbrell (PCs).
Three NDP ministers from the Bob Rae government: Ruth Grier, Evelyn Gigantes and Sen. Frances Lankin.
Six former Liberal ministers: Dr. Helena Jaczek, Dr. Eric Hoskins, who served in the Kathleen Wynne government, former deputy premier Deb Matthews, and David Caplan, Elinor Caplan and George Smitherman.
"Traditionally, Ministers of Health have avoided commenting on the policies of their successors," it reads.

"Health has been seen as a non-partisan issue — something we all support. This attack on public health has prompted us to break our silence."

Toronto launches petition demanding Ford government reverse funding cuts
Majority of Ontarians oppose province's cuts to public health, new poll suggests
The group is calling for the province to restore funding to ensure that public health units can continue to deliver essential services, such as monitoring drinking water quality and providing vaccinations.

Premier Doug Ford's government recently notified municipal public health units that it will reduce its cost-sharing levels from 100 per cent to 60 to 70 per cent for some municipalities, and 50 per cent for Toronto. It says the cuts will save Ontario $200 million per year by 2021-22.

The plans also include consolidating the number of public health units in Ontario from 35 to 10.

Helena Jaczek, who served as minister of health in the cabinet of former Liberal premier Kathleen Wynne and as chief medical officer of health in York Region for 18 years, said at a morning news conference that the cuts could risk a repeat of the 2000 Walkerton water crisis, or the 2003 SARS outbreak in Toronto.

"When public health has been cut in the past, tragedies have occurred," Jaczek, a signatory of the letter, told reporters at Queen's Park.

"It is an absolutely vital linchpin in this system for the health of Ontarians."

The letter sent to Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott Thursday morning is co-signed by 10 of her predecessors, including one former Progressive Conservative health minister. (Chris Young/Canadian Press)
For Toronto, the cuts amount to a loss of $1 billion in funding over the next decade, according to Joe Cressy, a city councillor and chair of the city's board of health — though the province disputes that figure.

Speaking next to Jaczek, Cressy said the province's changes will ultimately hamper its promise to remedy other problems in the health care system.

"It's not rocket science. If you are interested in ending hallway health care, cutting public health is the worst way to do it," he said.

Ford government reveals $7.35M fund to help municipalities, school boards review budgets
That 10 former ministers of different political stripes would come together as part of Thursday's letter is "unprecedented," he said.

"Rarely do you see former health ministers oppose a sitting minister, because health care has rarely been seen as a partisan issue," he said, adding the letter should be "a wake-up call."

"This government has clearly crossed a line."

In an email statement issued after the news conference, Elliott pointed to a 2017 report from the province's auditor general that found considerable problems with how public health units co-ordinate research and services with one another and with other municipal entities, such as school boards.

"All told, it's clear that there are significant opportunities to more efficiently deliver public health while protecting and improving vital programs," Elliott said.

She also accused critics of resorting to "scare tactics" in a tweet.

Union-commissioned poll finds strong opposition

Since details of the cuts were revealed shortly before the Easter long weekend, concern has mounted over who might be hardest hit as a result. Toronto's public health agency spends $14 million on school nutrition programs that serve 200,000 children each year, for example.

Ontario slashes Toronto Public Health funds by $1B over a decade, board chair says

That concern is borne out in a recent poll by Environics Research, in which 70 per cent of those surveyed said they "strongly opposed" the government's plans. The strongest opposition was in Toronto, where eight out of 10 respondents were against the cuts, the poll suggested.

It was commissioned by CUPE Ontario and CUPE Local 79, which represents about 20,000 City of Toronto workers, and surveyed the opinions of 1,332 by phone from May 14 to 16.

A spokesperson for the health minister dismissed the poll's results, saying "the accuracy of any poll paid for by CUPE, a union that has publicly announced its political bias against our government, should be seriously questioned and discounted."

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5145835

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Quote:
Poll suggests support for PCs has ‘collapsed,’ Ford now less popular than Wynne

Support for the Progressive Conservatives has “collapsed,” according to a new poll, while Ontario Premier Doug Ford is now less popular than Kathleen Wynne at the end of her time as Premier.

A Mainstreet Research poll released on Thursday puts the PCs in third place behind the Liberals and the NDP, with just 22.4 per cent of decided and leaning voters saying they would cast a ballot for the party if an election were held today.
Advertisement

The poll found that 39.9 per cent of decided and leaning voters would support the Liberals, who are without a permanent leader, and 24.2 per cent would vote for the NDP under Andrea Horwath.

In contrast, the PC’s won a majority government during the June 2018 election with 40.5 per cent of the popular vote while the NDP netted 33.6 per cent and the Liberals sunk to 19.6 per cent.

The Mainstreet poll also found that just 19.9 per cent of respondents say they have a favourable opinion of Ford, while 73.4 per cent say they have a negative opinion of the premier.

“His support is collapsing,” says Quito Maggi, President and CEO of Mainstreet Research, in a statement. “We have never seen an incumbent premier reach these depths in popular opinion with barely a year into his mandate.”

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/poll- ... -1.4435061

Less popular than Wynne at the end of her last term !!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:39 pm

Quote:
Oakville mayor slams Ontario as 'centralized authoritarian regime' after Doug Ford tries to weaken wildlife law

By Fatima Syed in News, Politics May 30th 2019

Premier Doug Ford's government is facing vehement opposition from municipalities across Ontario for proposing to weaken legislation protecting endangered species in order to allow mass development to occur in critical habitat for wildlife.

The changes were proposed in a housing bill, Bill 108, that proposes amendments to 15 laws, including 20-pages of sweeping changes to existing protections for endangered wildlife. These protections are spelled out under Schedule 5 of the legislation.

The proposed changes include the creation of a new fund that would allow developers to pay the equivalent of a tax, rather than taking steps to protect and restore habitat of species at risk. The government has also proposed to change the makeup of a scientific committee that reviews the status of species at risk, in order to allow people with no scientific expertise to join and provide scientific advice.

...The Town of Oakville has one of the most biodiverse environments in the province, home to 900 species of plants, 185 types of birds, 30 species of amphibians and reptiles, 29 types of mammals and 58 different kinds of fish. A number of these species are considered endangered and threatened.

Oakvile Mayor Rob Burton told National Observer that Bill 108 is indicated that Ontario is now under "a centralized authoritarian regime." He called Schedule 5 "pay to slay."

"Mayors have never had powers to protect endangered species. It's always been a provincial power," Burton said. "The damage is going to be immense. The bill to the environment is going to be immense."

Bill 108 is scheduled to go to committee Friday. Only one day has been allocated for public input. It could pass as early as June 4, before the Ontario legislature adjourns for the summer on June 6.

...Burton says he will join "a rebel alliance" to the Ford government as a gathering of mayors, civil societies, environmental activists and more at Laurier University on June 8.

"I am alarmed at this unconsultative, one-sided, uninformed set of sweeping, draconian measures that will only harm communities and the environment, and will not achieve their stated goals," Burton said. "It's a joke. it's a travesty."

Scientists 'dismayed' by proposed changes

Ontario mayors aren't the only ones rallying against Schedule 5. Over 75 scientists across North America have signed and sent a letter to Environment Minister Rod Phillips, urging him to reconsider and maintain a species at risk recovery program that was "independent and expert-based."

The letter notes that the group of experts were "dismayed" to hear the Ontario government had taken "a considerable step backwards with the inclusion of so many amendments to Ontario's landmark Endangered Species Act in Bill 108 - an omnibus bill about housing."

The scientists make strong reference to the first comprehensive UN biodiversity report that found over one million species were at risk of extinction due to human activity.

The letter notes that "at 1 million km2, Ontario is bigger than many countries, and harbours some of the most unfragmented habitats left on the planet."

"Ontario has a global obligation to protect all (species at risk) within is borders, even in cases where species' total ranges extend beyond Ontario's borders. Ontario cannot simply pass the responsibility to other provinces and countries."

...Here's everything the Ford government is proposing to change about the Endangered Species Act

1. Delay listing of species assessed by the Committee on the Status of Species at Risk in Ontario (COSSARO): Currently species must be listed within three months of COSSARO’s submission of an assessment report to the Environment Minister. This will be extended to 12 months, during which time species at risk and their habitats would be unprotected and vulnerable.

2. Give the minister the power to overturn assessments by COSSARO: The Endangered Species Act already allows the minister to request a review of a COSSARO decision if “credible scientific information” indicates the listing “is not appropriate." The new language proposed in the Bill changes this to “may not be appropriate." Critics say this may result in delays in recovery planning and protections.

3. Delay both Recovery Strategy development and protections if the minister requests a reassessment: Currently, a species would be listed regardless of a request for reassessment. Under the proposed system, if the minister requests a reassessment, the species would not be listed automatically.

4. Require that COSSARO assessments be based not on the status of a species in Ontario, but instead on its status across its “biologically relevant geographic range”: Most species now listed as threatened or endangered in Ontario could be delisted if they exist in a nearby North American jurisdiction, and receive no protection as a result. Such species include the Jefferson salamander, bobolink, spiny softshell turtle, American badger and cucumber tree.

5. Broaden COSSARO membership so that it includes non-scientific experts: Currently COSSARO members must have expertise in (a) a scientific discipline such as conservation biology, population dynamics, taxonomy, systematics or genetics; or (b) aboriginal traditional knowledge.

6. Provide the environment minister greater discretion on protections: The minister would be allowed to suspend species and habitat protections for up to three years based on social or economic considerations.

7. Delay the application of automatic protections for newly listed species for one year for existing permit/agreement holders

8 Allow the minister to limit protections so that they apply only in specific geographies or in specific circumstances: This could exclude important habitats and species from protection.

9. Allow the minister discretion to delay indefinitely the development of Government Response Statements (GRS): These species-specific government policies currently must be produced within nine months of the publication of a Recovery Strategy (for threatened or endangered species) or a Management Plan (for special concern species).

10. Remove requirements to post notices on the Environmental Bill of Rights Registry when the minister is proposing to delay Recovery Strategies and Management Plans: This change could potentially shut out opportunities for public consultation regarding delays. It is unclear whether notices on the new website will be as transparent and accessible as they currently are on the Environmental Bill of Rights Registry.

11. Allow the minister to delay carrying out a review of progress towards the protection and recovery of the species: Currently, the minister is required to conduct a review of the progress towards the protection and recovery of the species no later than five years after publication of a government response statement. The proposed amendment allows the Minister to specify any time period to carry out the review in the government response statement.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/0 ... ford-tries

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:18 pm

And today in DFO, Doug the Thug proved once again that he’s in the pocket of big developers when he announced he will use his powers to unilaterally revoke the city of Toronto’s condo tower height limits, so that developers can build taller condo towers in the city. The City and Mayor were not consulted or even warned in advance. This announcement comes on the heels of legislation tabled last month that limits the ability of municipalities to require developers include community spaces like parks and daycare centres in their plans.

Quote:
In an interview, Toronto Mayor John Tory said he was only made aware of the province's plans in a text message sent Tuesday night. Tory acknowledged that the government has legislative authority to make the changes, but added that it is going to "again sour the relations between the two governments."

"And it is going to lead to quite a backlash both in the community and in the municipal government," he told CBC Radio's Metro Morning.

If Tory's concerns materialize, it will mark just the latest chapter in what has proven a rocky relationship between Premier Doug Ford's government and the city. City council recently voted to oppose Bill 108, sweeping legislation that would introduce significant changes to the development process in Ontario. The bill is up for third reading, and could pass as early as this week.

In an interview with the Globe and Mail, Clark acknowledged these latest moves will further strain the inter-governmental rapport.

An exasperated Tory said the province is going about making revisions "the hard way.

"No consultation; no respect for a process that unfolded over years," he said.

'Giveaway' to developers, councillor says

The province's impending changes to Midtown in Focus will significantly impact Coun. Josh Matlow's ward, Toronto-St. Paul's.

Matlow is among the most vocal opponents of Bill 108, calling it a "giveaway to the development industry" that will ultimately impede the city's ability to collect community benefits — like green spaces, schools and child-care centres — in exchange for development permits.

"We're not saying no to development but we want development to grow in a way that supports the quality of life of residents," Matlow said Wednesday.

He added that city staff is prepared for significant growth in various parts of the city, especially around public transit hubs. But the province's decision to unilaterally change development plans will upend years of judicious planning.

"It was led by our professional and mature planning staff, who really focused on deep consultation with our communities and on ensuring that it be planned well, based on good urban planning principles and that we not just see a bunch of expensive apartments or condos," Matlow continued.

Haphazardly raising new towers around heavily trafficked subway stations like Eglinton and Davisville will do little to improve affordability while adding to problems of over-crowding, Matlow argued.

...'Disrespect and outright contempt'

Meanwhile, three councillors representing a large swath of the downtown core issued a blistering email statement of their own, saying the province's "disrespect and outright contempt for the City of Toronto and Torontonians is unlike anything we've ever seen."

Councillors Joe Cressy, Kristyn Wong-Tam and Mike Layton (Spadina-Fort York, Toronto Centre and University-Rosedale, respectively) say the city spent seven years developing TOcore, a strategy that emphasizes maintaining livability as the area's population doubles over the next 25 years.

"Things like minimum unit sizes, access to sunlight, separation distances between towers, shadow on parks. It re-focuses all our attention on affordability, and community services like child care," the statement reads.

"The province is on the cusp of throwing all of this out in favour of a few well-connected developers."...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5162903

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:20 pm

REALITY: Doug Ford Is Far More Popular Than Justin Trudeau

Far different from what elitist establishment wants people to think.

Quote:
We’ve heard a ton of stories in the establishment press about how ‘unpopular’ Doug Ford is.

There’s no coincidence that the stories are all happening as Doug Ford makes tough decisions that bother entrenched interest groups.

For example, Ford is capping the increase in public sector wage growth at 1%, in a measure that will help get the budget back towards balance. Considering that most taxpayers don’t get paid like public sector workers, Ford’s move is a common-sense approach.

Yet, the tone of the coverage of Ford has been almost hysterical, as if the world is somehow coming to end just because he’s getting spending under control.
Contrast that to the coverage of Justin Trudeau, who is rarely referred to as ‘unpopular’ by the elitist press.

Reading the coverage, you would think that Trudeau has lots of support, while Ford is wandering off in the political wilderness.
But the reality is far different.

In fact, Doug Ford is more popular than Justin Trudeau.

The latest Angus-Reid Institute survey of the approval ratings of Canada’s provincial premiers shows Doug Ford with 36% approval. The Ford PCs won 40.5% of the vote in the provincial election, meaning that he is keeping almost all of his support – despite making some tough decisions forced on him by the horrendous record of the Ontario Liberals.

So, Ford is at 36%.

What is Trudeau at?

Eric Grenier’s Leader Meter – the most comprehensive accounting of federal leader approval ratings – puts Justin Trudeau’s approval rating at just 31%. That’s based on compiled leadership polls.

The most recent poll included in the ‘Leader Meter’ puts Trudeau at 31%. Some have him even lower, with Angus-Reid putting him at 28%.

The Nanos Survey asks a different question – preferred PM – and even on that score Trudeau has weak numbers. He’s at 27%.

So, we have large series of polls, all showing Justin Trudeau is far less popular than Doug Ford.

Why doesn’t that get much coverage?

Because it doesn’t fit the elitist narrative, which must demonize Ford, demonize Conservatives, and try to keep Trudeau in power at all costs.

That’s because – instead of serving the People – Trudeau and his cronies serve the elites. And with more and more Canadians waking up to that fact, the elites are desperate to bring down anyone who would oppose their dangerous agenda.

Help share this article to spread the truth far and wide: Doug Ford is more popular than Justin Trudeau.

Spencer Fernando

https://www.spencerfernando.com/2019/06 ... n-trudeau/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:54 pm

But the reality in Ontario is Ontario citizens are now more likely to support Trudeau because Ford is is unpopular in Ontario

Quote:
[b]Poll says Ontario voters ‘less likely’ to vote for Scheer this fall thanks to Ford
NEWS 02:12 PM

A majority of Ontario voters are “less likely” to vote for Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer in the fall federal election due to Premier Doug Ford’s policies, a new poll suggests.

The Corbett Communications survey for the Toronto Star found 54 per cent of respondents said the actions of Ford’s Progressive Conservatives would have an impact on their federal voting choice.

Among federal Conservative voters 21 per cent said they were less likely to vote for Scheer because of Ford’s policies.

“Ford is a huge anchor on Scheer,” pollster John Corbett said Thursday.

Perhaps mindful of that, the premier’s office has adjourned the Ontario legislature until Oct. 28 — one week after the federal election.

“He is a danger for the (Scheer) Tories,” Corbett said of Ford, whose popularity has plunged to the low levels of his Liberal predecessor, Kathleen Wynne, thanks in part to service cuts from the April budget.

https://www.ourwindsor.ca/news-story/94 ... s-to-ford/

Meanwhile Doug Ford has conveniently suspended legislature until after the federal election in a bid to avoid tainting the federal party with his rancid brand. Unfortunately not before enacting the draconian environmental destruction laws I mentioned above.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:18 am

DrCaleb wrote:
How Canada became a hotspot for artificial intelligence research

Ontario government cuts $24 million in AI research funding

BeaverFever wrote:

This is why we can't have anything nice.
Pshhh. We could have been at the forefront of CO2 technology in Ontario (or Quebec) if the Liberals had any cronies that were interested. They didn't so we aren't even in the picture.
The fact our oil can't get to market worth a damn either is costing Canada around $80 million/day. Factor in what we're importing and it's costing us around $100 million/day. Yep, no wonder we can't have nice things.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:11 am

Huh?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 21  22  23  24  25  26  Next