PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:15 am

Just a reminder... its still on!

i am planning another trip tomorrow. Image

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:26 am

Fine but expensive choices at Cuvée preview

This weekend, down in Niagara Falls, Cuvée is underway. This annual event brings together dozens of Ontario wineries, resulting in what I call our wine version of the Oscars.

The gala Friday night featured more than 100 wines, with local chefs dishing up morsels of their best cuisine. This weekend, Cuvée en Route ($30 per person, 905-684-8688) allows Ontario wine lovers to visit dozens of wineries holding special wine and food events.

At a recent event in Toronto, sommeliers, restaurateurs and wine critics got to sample a single top-scoring wine from each of 56 Ontario wineries. Tasting through it, I found lots of great wines but many of the prices made me cringe. I also judged dozens of Ontario's cold-climate chardonnays destined to be showcased to U.K. wine critics at Canada House in London.

Our whites from the long hot 2007 season show beautifully now but do not seem destined for longevity. They are fat, succulent and delicious with tropical licks now but many lack a crisp backbone of acidity to make them enduring cellar dwellers.

Some of the 2007 reds, by contrast, are gorgeous. However, a cautionary note: The 2007 reds in the hands of brilliant winemakers are grand but a few 2007 reds from less talented winemakers are leafy and herbaceous. You have to be selective. Always.

My favourite 2007 reds so far, virtually all available at the winery only or online: Cattail Creek Merlot Reserve ($40); Cave Spring Pinot Noir ($39.95); Inniskillin Reserve Cabernet Franc ($18.95, great value); Jackson Triggs Grand Reserve Syrah ($32.95); Kacaba Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve ($44.95); Lakeview Cellars Merlot Reserve ($22.95); Peller Estates Signature Merlot ($35); Southbrook Poetica Cabernet Merlot ($60); and Tawse 17th Street Pinot Noir ($58). See what I mean about prices?

In our best buys reviewed below for today's Vintages release, there are two Ontario winners, the Reif Pinot Grigio ($16.95) and Wayne Gretzky Shiraz/Cabernet ($22.95), which seriously scored. <--- doesn't surprise me, i LOVE this wine!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:22 am

Cool) I love it)) especially dark))

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:28 am

A Vintage Harvest

September 17-26, 2010

Enjoy more than 100 events including winery tours and tastings, concerts, Niagara cuisine, wine seminars, live entertainment and one of Canada's largest street parades during the 59th Niagara Wine Festival. The hub of the Niagara Wine Festival can be found in historic Montebello Park in downtown St. Catharines.

Food prices are $3 to $6 per portion, while wines can be purchased by the sample, glass or bottle. Festival Tokens can be purchased in Montebello Park or in advance at the Festival office. Admission is FREE.

The Discovery Pass is your gateway to tour the Niagara Wine Route for a fresh taste of wine and culinary pairings during the two weekends of the Niagara Wine Festival. Just $30 per pass. (the best way to enjoy the tour)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:41 am

I am on my way to the wineries... anyone coming?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:41 pm

You left me no choice! i had to drink it all myself :D

We visited 6 wineries
Legends Estate - The Love Potion sparkling rose was new, yummy and one of my fav of the day (i bought this one)

Angels Gate - The Cab Franc was sooooo good!

East Dell - The Black Cab was also one of my favs of the day (i bought this one too) We had brunch at "The View " restaurant here. The view was pretty. We could see all the was across Lake Ontario and see the Toronto skyline, complete with the CN tower

No. 99 Wayne Gretzky's- The Founders Series 2007 Cab Merlot continues to be one of my all time fav wines
i have to mention though that our experience was a little less than wonderful this time. For some reason, the staff was not very friendly and you just didnt feel welcome. Odd

Rosewood - not my fav wines but a very interesting tour, complete with beehives

Magnotta - meh!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:01 pm

I've got a few bottles of Jacobs Creek chardonnay sitting in the cellar at home '91 - 2001. My wife wouldn't let me drink them last time we were home. What the hell is the point of leaving them that long...they just turn to vinegar. I'm not a fan of reds, drinking them for medicinal purposes only(1 glass with supper). White and rose I drink for pleasure.

Actually, truth be told, I'd just as soon have a nice dry cider(apple, pear, peach...) or a micro brewed beer as have a glass of wine.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:36 am

Its on again

NIAGARA WINE FESTIVAL

We are planning our trip tomorrow. Who is coming?

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:04 pm

[B-o] [B-o] [B-o] [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:32 pm

yeah you would show up with a beer mug wouldn't you. :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:22 pm

kitty wrote:
The Niagara Wine Festival is on again and runs from Sept 19 to Sept 27.

We bought the discovery pass yet again this year and we have already visited five wineries [drunk]

EastDell Estate Winery
~ Located on the famous Beamsville Bench in the heart of the Niagara Peninsula. The main rustic building has an amazing view of lake Ontario and the the Toronto skyline.

not the best picture (taken with my bb) but the colour of the lake was incredible today

~ We tried three wines here:
2008 VQA Riesling paired with lemon herb chicken skewers.
2007 VQA Riesling Icewine paired with homemade lemon tarts
2007 VQA Black Cab (one of my favs) a wonderful marriage of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot

No. 99 Wayne Gretzky's Estates Winery
~ This winery was packed wall to wall today and they were having a No Shoes, No Socks, Great Fun event The Great Stomp returned for a 2nd year at Wayne Gretzky Estates Winery in Vineland, Ontario this past weekend. Team’s competed by stomping barrels of grapes at the same time raising proceeds for the Ontario Lung Association.

~We tried three wines here too:
2006 Shiraz Cabernet
2007 Merlot
2007 Cabernet Merlot (i bought this one!)

Dan Aykroyd at 20 Bees
i have to say that the visual presentation here was pretty unimpressive... a dressed up trailer in a field.
~At least the wine was good:
2007 Pinot Noir paired with mushroom bruscetta
2005 Vidal Icewine paired with icewine Niagara peaches

Konzelmann Estate Winery
~ An absolutely stunning winery on the shores of Lake Ontario.
~ We tied two wines here:
2007 Heritage - 4th Generation Meritage - MY FAV OF THE DAY i bought this one too [drunk]
2007 Peach Wine - soooo lovely and not too sweet but definitely a dessert wine

Chateau Des Charmes
~ Founded in 1978, Chateau des Charmes is one of the largest family owned wineries in Canada with 279 acres of vineyards dedicated to the production of fine wines, with an emphasis on unique single vineyard bottlings.
~ The tastings here were very unique and informative. We tasted four wines and the taught us the importance of using the right glass with each wine.
2007 Viognier VQA - very light with peach and pineapple aromas
2007 Gewurztraminer VQA - citrus and lychee
2007 Gamay Noir VQA - woodsy and bold
2005 Cabernet Franc VQA -full, bold, woodsy and with almost a cigar scent "very sexy"

My grandfather was a Niagara fruit grower (Fenwick) and had a vineyard. They were the old concord grape that make wonderful unfermented juice but lousy wins.

Anyway, when we were married, we had our wedding reception at Vineland Estates Winery and it was very well done;

BTW, I was in NOTL and Virgil about four hours ago, re-fighting the War of 1812 with 3000 Boy Scouts to keep fed and watered.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:34 pm

Have you ever been to Pelee Island?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Jabberwalker wrote:
Have you ever been to Pelee Island?

i have never heard of it... why do you ask?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Jabberwalker wrote:
My grandfather was a Niagara fruit grower (Fenwick) and had a vineyard. They were the old concord grape that make wonderful unfermented juice but lousy wins.

Anyway, when we were married, we had our wedding reception at Vineland Estates Winery and it was very well done;

BTW, I was in NOTL and Virgil about four hours ago, re-fighting the War of 1812 with 3000 Boy Scouts to keep fed and watered.

Why wasnt i invited?

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:56 pm

ShepherdsDog wrote:
yeah you would show up with a beer mug wouldn't you. :twisted:

It's my wine stein. :D