CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:27 am

I have a question on the culture (s) that accepts murder as an honorable obligation in circumstances yet does not then celebrate success.

The murder trial of the Shafia father, mother and son for the 'honor killing' of 3 daughters and a first wife seems to me, overwhelming in it's preliminary evidence. Apparently there are even tapes of their apparent complicity and subsequent satisfaction in acting for their honor.

So I have a question. "If" they did do it as a means of salvaging or protecting or preserving their honor, why would they not (if indeed guilty), take pride of ownership of their deed and be proud enough to celebrate and admit their success, duty, as openly being an honorable choice?
Why not admit an honorable deed? By not doing so (if they did it) they are declaring either that it was not honorable, or that they are not proud to have preserved their honor.
In either case, their denial destroys any credibility of a cultural belief that such acts can in any way have honor.

The act of denial of and in itself betrays their cultural behavior as in any way justifiable even to themselves.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:36 am

Hansler wrote:
In either case, their denial destroys any credibility of a cultural belief that such acts can in any way have honor.

The act of denial of and in itself betrays their cultural behavior as in any way justifiable even to themselves.

You sound surprised. The murder of women and children has never been viewed as honourable (note the spelling for future reference) so it should come as no surprise that cowards such as that refuse to admit their actions.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:12 pm

The reality is that their attempt to preserve "honour" is landing them into a heap of trouble. They would be strutting around town otherwise.

Seems like the natural reaction to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:59 am

sandorski wrote:
The reality is that their attempt to preserve "honour" is landing them into a heap of trouble. They would be strutting around town otherwise.

Seems like the natural reaction to me.

Perhaps. Though in certain communities - cultures are their actions not applauded?