Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm looking to buy a cottage in the near future that is reasonably easy to get to from the GTA (4 hours drive max) within a reasonable price range of course.

But so many variables to consider for a major investment! I just don't know:

- Quiet lake where you can relax and hear an ant fart a mile away or busy lake with fun neighbours but maybe too much noise?
- Long sandy beach you can wade in to or steep bank where you can dive in head first?
- Rustic cabin with just the basics to "get back to nature" or "home away from home" with internet, tv to watch the CFL games on?
- Small lake with warm water and limited traffic or big lake with cold water, where you can rip around in a motor boat and do endless exploring?
- Adjacent to Crown land: good or bad? Does it mean hunters and ATVers whizzing by your place all weekend or is it a wilderness wonderland at your front door? Too isolated?

Any thoughts in general(if not from ON) or anyone know of places that are a good balance of the above or places to look?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Have a look around Rice Lake there are spots which will fit any of the above criteria.

Also cottage prices are reasonable.

If you like to fish it's one the best lakes in the area.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks Pluggy! Yeah, I've heard good things about Rice Lake, but on a map it practically looks like a suburb of Peterborough. Not sure if it's "away" enough.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:07 pm

It's a 30 to 40 minute drive to Peterborough, definitely not a suburb. Not too far away from the GTA, which would be appreciated on the Sunday evening drive home.

A cottage on the South side usually costs more due to the spectacular sunsets

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:22 pm

I grew up in Kawarthas (Fenelon Falls) and have a cottage in the Kawarthas now (near Kirkfield) so I can likely give you some ideas about the Kawartha Lakes region, if that's one of the areas you're considering.

1. Having grown up on the Trent-Severn waterway, I would (and did) choose a lake not on the canal system. The boat traffic is high, as is the pollution, noise, drunks, police, etc. The lake I'm on is landlocked, so the only traffic we get are cottagers who live on the lake and some day fishermen. There's no houseboats, yachts or others "passing through" and there's very few speedboats. Also, being off the canal system doesn't mean you can't use it. I can trailer my boat it's only a few minutes drive to drop it in the Trent. You're not limited in your ability to explore, by boat, by being on a small, land-locked lake. Boats are easy to move around.

2. If fishing is a priority, check the Ministry guide to see which species are in the lake you're considering. I chose the lake I did largely because of the health of the fishery and the species (walleye and muskie). Again, smaller lakes and land-locked lakes are likely to be better fishing spots, with fewer fishermen but also fewer waterskiers, jetskiers.

3. Watch out for lakes with lots of rental cottages/resorts and/or trailer parks. When you have full-season cottagers on the lake, people tend to be quiet and respectful of their neighbours. Rental cottages and resorts attract weekend partiers. The big lakes on the Trent aren't quiet places on Friday and Saturday nights. Loud music, fireworks, etc go on late and noise travels across water. You can sing along to a stereo playing on the other side of the lake like it was right beside you.

4. Check building codes. It's important to know what you can change about your property. Things like additions, decks, etc are not permitted in many cottaging areas.

5. MOST IMPORTANTLY, before you buy, meet your neighbours. Ask them lots of questions. Find out if there's rowdies nearby. NEVER buy without doing your homework about the people. There's no more important feature in a cottage than good neighbours.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Awesome Lemmy, very useful! What Lake might I ask?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:24 pm

BeaverFever wrote:
Awesome Lemmy, very useful! What Lake might I ask?

Don't really want to share that on the forum. Turn on your PM feature or e-mail me and I'll tell you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:34 pm

gosh, didn't know pm was off, will turn it on. Wonder how many CKA'ers have been dying to reach me privately all these years? :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 pm

OK, PM enabled, otherwise you can tell me here in igPay atinLay :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:15 am

We have two cottages on Rice Lake, one is our personal cottage and the other a rental.

There is a lot of boat traffic but it's not too bad in terms of constant noise as I enjoy sitting on the dock watching the World pass by. The lake is small and warm in the summer. The kids spent 24/7 in the water as do we with the boat and SeaDoo's.

We're in the process of a major renovation so I know that this area specifically is fine with additions and renovations as long as you have all the proper permits, just like you would anywhere else. As for a nice sandy beach...that's something you can add yourself with a weekend rental of a digger and some beach sand :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:29 am

In picking a location you may want to consider just how many hundreds of thousands are also on their way to their cottages at the beginning of every weekend and returning at the end of every weekend.
I'd be looking somewhere between Cobourg and Kingston

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:15 am

BeaverFever wrote:
I'm looking to buy a cottage in the near future that is reasonably easy to get to from the GTA (4 hours drive max) within a reasonable price range of course.

Keep in mind that Hwy 11 is now 4-lane right up to North Bay. That puts Lake Nipissing and area within your range. Might give you more options and prices might be a little cheaper further north.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 am

OnTheIce wrote:
As for a nice sandy beach...that's something you can add yourself with a weekend rental of a digger and some beach sand :)

If you can get permission from the MoE to change the shoreline. From what I understand, that can be very difficult.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:42 am

Jonny_C wrote:
OnTheIce wrote:
As for a nice sandy beach...that's something you can add yourself with a weekend rental of a digger and some beach sand :)

If you can get permission from the MoE to change the shoreline. From what I understand, that can be very difficult.

You don't need permission from the MOE to change the shoreline.

You do need permission from various conservation authorities if they apply, as they do in my case, but there's no MOE approval required.

I'm actually in the beginning stages of doubling the size of my cottage and making various changes to the property including a garage and a larger area for swimming.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:12 am

So here's another tip, never buy property on a lake where you don't need permission to change the shoreline... or even one where they will give you permission.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/regions/centra ... 04-eng.htm