CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:14 pm

personally i'd fucking love $15 an hour thanks

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:45 am

When I was in college in the 70s I wrote a raise the minimum wage article in the student paper.
More or less said at the time "You want me to study four years for a lousy case of beer an hour?"

Imagine....

Sling burgers and only get pad 20L of gas an hour?

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Coach85 wrote:
If the job is to reduce poverty, this isn't going to help.

It's all relative. When wages go up, prices go up and our monthly expenditures go up. More money is coming in, but we're also having to spend more monthly.

We need people in these jobs. No question about that. These jobs should be looked at steps within a career, not a final destination.

The mistake we're making is trying to make these types of jobs as a place where people are happy to stay and make a career out of it.

For some people Mcjobs are all they can do or want to do. Note I said some. If you are disciplined you can even become relativley wealthy. Note again I said disciplined as that does not describe the average person in a Mcjob. By relatively wealthy I am talking $250,000 saved by early 40's which means they will have $1,000,000 by 65. And yes I know people who have done it.

Full time incomes start around $25,000 but shift leads and supervisors are in the low to mid 30's. The more senior positions are in the 40 to 50 range. There are lots of example of franchise owners who mine their people. There are also others that provide opportunities for advancement, benefits and group RRSP plans.

Working an entry level positon to help pay expenses while you are gaining the education for a better carrier has been a basic plan for the young. Others are not academically gifted, but have good common sense smarts. The entry level position may be what they are best suited for and a place where they can excel. We shouldn't be putting down these jobs.

However as Boots said when the minimum wage rises too quickly then employers are in a cost price squeeze and that can force cutbacks.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Oh come n people. You gotta offer more than minimum wage to get anyone who can walk and chew gum these days. The fastfood places anywhere near here have been paying at least $1 over for years, the Mom&Pop shops no - and you can tell- your server can't remember an order all the way to the kitchen, read the clock, make change, dresses like a slob, never refills coffee etc.
Biggest problem seems to be some places with lame-ass unions with long older contracts are gonna have to go for more, their start wage is being pressured by the minimum wage.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Coach85 wrote:

If the job is to reduce poverty, this isn't going to help.

It's all relative. When wages go up, prices go up and our monthly expenditures go up. More money is coming in, but we're also having to spend more monthly.

Well the mimimum wage doesn't affect the pricing of everything...for example I doubt the minimum wage of employees in the Apple store has much impact on the price of an iPhone or iPad. Most of the labour involved in those products are offshore or earn high enough salary so as not to be affected by minimum wage. Similarly major expenses such as rent, gas, utilities, etc would show little impact.

Secondly even where there is a price increase, it's not going to be dollar-for dollar what the emplyee earns. An employee who goes from $11 to $15 makes an extra $150 per week. We're not going to see the cost of living go up by that same amount.

Quote:
We need people in these jobs. No question about that. These jobs should be looked at steps within a career, not a final destination.

The mistake we're making is trying to make these types of jobs as a place where people are happy to stay and make a career out of it.

We al know that many can't/won't move on to a career - due to disabilities, living in a small towns with few options, family and personal situations, lack of confidence, and just plain old reality that life happens. Who are you to tell them how to live anyway? If someone can be happy just being a cashier at 7-11 and doesn't feel they need a career, why can't they do that without having to live in grinding poverty?

And besides, offering opportunities to escape from misery is not the same as alleviating the source of misery. Would anyone say that slavery is acceptable provided that it is looked at as a step to freedom and slaves have a reasonable opportunity to earn their freedom?

To say that there should be no minimum wage or to support a wage that is below the poverty line is to say that the workforce should always contain a certain percentage of working poor. Whether some those working poor can eventually better themselves and be replaced by the next serf is irrelevant. There shouldn't be any working poor in the first place.