CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:09 am

there always seems to be rivarlry between cousin nations such as between canada and america australia and new zealand india and pakistan russia and ukraine etc

alot of it is because one nation is bigger and more industraliased than the other which fuels jealousy but all cousin nations have there good things about them

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:54 am

Yeah, i see much of the rivalry as just bickering. And i have never thought about the other places in the world, such as Australia and New Zealand. COme to think of it, that sounds pretty much just like Canada and the US. Any New Zealander (?) that i have met i thought they were Autrralian, based on their accent. When i asked them if they were from Australia, well they reacted about how i would if someone asked me if i were from the US!

India and Pakistan though, they just seem to hate each other. It is beyond the bickering that i mentioned above. And i can't understand why they are fighing over Kashmir (sp?). There is NOTHING there, it can't be used for farming or anything from what i have ever heard. It might have historical significance that i am not aware of.

Also, this rivalry is not limited to nations. Within Canada you have Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, Ontario and Quebec (well, Quebec and the rest of the country), and i bet things are similar all around the world.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:01 am

yeah your spot on although there are two cousin nations which are south africa and zimbabwe which dont seem to hate each other and there doesnt at all seem to be any rivalry between them and both the governmanets of those countries seem to get along well with each other and the only real rivalry that seems to be going on in south africa and zimbabwe is between the blacks and the whites.

i know exactly what you mean about rivarly in countries we have it over here to there is alot of rivalry between western australia which is the state i live in and the eastern states of australia such as vicotria and new south wales.

and yes i know what you mean about rivalry between canadian provinces i am awhere that there is alot of rivalry between quebec and the rest of the provinces.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:13 am

Often the rivalies begin because of real battles that have been fought

I took history class in school too.

etc.
etc.
WWI
WWII
Korean war
Vietnam
Afghanistan
Iraq
etc.
etc.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:38 am

Gallipoli.

I think that's about all I need to say to an Aussie or a New Zealander.

The 'cousin' thing isn't always about envy.

Sometimes it's just about respect and honour.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:50 am

It does not necessarily have to be only about war. It could be about trade issues, economic issues... and so forth. Although, it would be considered more or less bickering rather than an actual rivalry.