canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:13 am

In 1905, the Toronto Santa Claus parade premiered when a single float carrying Santa Claus arrived at Toronto Union Station and made its way to the downtown Eaton's department store where Santa shook hands with Timothy Eaton.

Today, with more than 25 floats, 25 bands and 1,700 participants Toronto's Santa Claus parade is the longest running children's parade and one of the overall largest parades in the world.

Toronto Santa Claus Parade - Parade Route:
The Toronto Santa Claus parade starts at Bloor & Christie, moves along Bloor past the ROM to Avenue around Queen's Park, down University, east on Queen to Yonge, south to Front and ends at Front & Church.

waiting for the parade to begin:

salvation army band marches past the ROM:

even Hyack attends :wink:

here's Santa:

Tips for Visiting the Parade:
:arrow: Don't underestimate the crowds. Prepare yourself to share the parade route with about 500,000 other people.
:arrow: Talk to your kids about what to do if they get lost. Tell kids to go to one of the many policeman on duty or have a go-to meeting spot picked out.
:arrow: Leave the car at home or far away from downtown.
:arrow: Check the weather forecast before you head out. Weather has ranged from sunny and pleasant to raining to below freezing. Cold weather will be pure misery if not dressed properly. Layers are best.
:arrow: Handy to have: umbrella, tissue for cold, runny noses and a thermos of hot chocolate or warm soup.

The parade lasts about one hour.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:05 am

8O 8O Its November...why cant the Christmas stuff happen in December...it just prolongs the whole Christmas thing. Before Halloween there was Christmas decorations...its nauseating :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:45 am

[quote="TattoodGirl"]8O 8O Its November...why cant the Christmas stuff happen in December...it just prolongs the whole Christmas thing. Before Halloween there was Christmas decorations...its nauseating

To the point that I have 'canceled Cristmas till further notice'! No decorations. No cards. No gifts. Nothing! I have made it very clear to all my friends and family that until/if Christmas returns to 'what it should be' I will no longer participate in any way. You're right TG. Christmas is absolutely sickening!

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:46 pm

Come on people this isn't the place to be bitchin' about Xmas, you'll have plenty of time to do that in the next month. This is about the Santa Claus Parade that all kids, and probably most adults love to see, not to mention the 103 years the parade has been running. Great story and pics kitty...thanks

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:30 pm

Oh it is a great story and pics...but its too early. dont they know I dont shop til Dec 24th :lol:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:45 pm

Awwww come on Tat.....it has nuttin' to do with shopping or decorations, it's about a freakin' parade. I'm sure most parents are quite happy the parades everywhere are held while there is still a chance of decent weather. Would you like to be out in Beautiful BC rain or a freezing snowstorm watching a parade with a couple kids?

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:50 pm

The Santa parade in Toronto is a damn nice tradition. Kids of all ages enjoy it every year...I wish I could have been there.....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:51 am

Hyack wrote:
Awwww come on Tat.....it has nuttin' to do with shopping or decorations, it's about a freakin' parade. I'm sure most parents are quite happy the parades everywhere are held while there is still a chance of decent weather. Would you like to be out in Beautiful BC rain or a freezing snowstorm watching a parade with a couple kids?

got a point but wouldnt it be more christmassy if it was snowing? :lol:

We have never been to a Christmas parade :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:03 am

lily wrote:
TattoodGirl wrote:
8O 8O Its November...why cant the Christmas stuff happen in December...it just prolongs the whole Christmas thing. Before Halloween there was Christmas decorations...its nauseating :lol:

The original Santa Claus parade was in the beginning of December.

I knew it...I thought it was when I was a kid.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:06 am

TattoodGirl wrote:
Hyack wrote:

and now the truth comes out.. TG's not angry.. she's jealous !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

looks cold over there 8O
still 20C during the day here :)

I'll try to arrange pics of the palm trees all lit up this year,
really weird to look at..

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:10 am

martin14 wrote:
TattoodGirl wrote:
Hyack wrote:

and now the truth comes out.. TG's not angry.. she's jealous !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

looks cold over there 8O
still 20C during the day here :)

I'll try to arrange pics of the palm trees all lit up this year,
really weird to look at..

Now that is more like it...palm trees lit up. [drool]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:17 am

hmmm, isnt it past your bedtime TG ?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:21 am

martin14 wrote:

I have to stay up all night...I have a 7pm - 7am shift tomorrow night so I am trying to flip my schedule...im editting a vid of a recent gig :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:30 am

TattoodGirl wrote:
martin14 wrote:

I have to stay up all night...I have a 7pm - 7am shift tomorrow night so I am trying to flip my schedule...im editting a vid of a recent gig :lol:

oh yippee, sounds like fun :)
got coffee ?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:34 am

A freaking blast!!! and ya I am trying to figure out how to just run an IV line straight in :lol: