Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:54 am

He sure doesn't look like he's going to live a long time. Obesity plus drug/alcohol abuse isn't a lifestyle choice that promotes longevity. But as far as re-election prospects go, you know what likely would help Ford "make it"? Admitting the truth. Apologize for the erratic behaviour and blame it on the booze and drugs. If he'd admit he has a substance abuse problem and announce that he's going into some sort of rehab, the public WOULD rally behind the guy. As it stands, I seriously doubt he'll be re-elected (in fact, I'll wager you on that, OTI). There's just been too much silliness for the electorate to put any trust in the guy. But if he owned up to his mistakes and showed the voters that he's addressing those concerns, that might be exactly what his campaign needs for success.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:25 am

Lemmy wrote:
He sure doesn't look like he's going to live a long time. Obesity plus drug/alcohol abuse isn't a lifestyle choice that promotes longevity. But as far as re-election prospects go, you know what likely would help Ford "make it"? Admitting the truth. Apologize for the erratic behaviour and blame it on the booze and drugs. If he'd admit he has a substance abuse problem and announce that he's going into some sort of rehab, the public WOULD rally behind the guy. As it stands, I seriously doubt he'll be re-elected (in fact, I'll wager you on that, OTI). There's just been too much silliness for the electorate to put any trust in the guy. But if he owned up to his mistakes and showed the voters that he's addressing those concerns, that might be exactly what his campaign needs for success.

Lemmy, you're focusing on two separate things here.

First, there's a batch of voters that won't rally behind Ford regardless. I'd suggest you'd be in this group based on your comments.

You feel that voters judge Ford based on his image and his personal problems because that's how you feel. You think that people will vote Ford out based on his suggested personal demons and bad habits. I don't doubt that the majority of downtown and people of your ilk feel the same.

The rest of Toronto, the ones who typically don't vote Liberal or NDP much like the downtown core, will vote for a right of centre mayor and based on the support he got last time, these people aren't concerned with his image as frankly, it was already shitty when he got the job.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:40 am

OnTheIce wrote:
Lemmy, you're focusing on two separate things here.

First, there's a batch of voters that won't rally behind Ford regardless. I'd suggest you'd be in this group based on your comments.

Nope, I love a redemption story. I've seen Return of the Jedi 20 times. Cast off the erratic behaviour and the lying about it and I'd have no problem voting for Ford (if I were eligible to vote, that is). Lots of the same people must have voted for Ford as voted for Miller previously. I don't think partisanship is that much of an issue in municipal politics as elsewhere.

OTI wrote:
You feel that voters judge Ford based on his image and his personal problems because that's how you feel. You think that people will vote Ford out based on his suggested personal demons and bad habits. I don't doubt that the majority of downtown and people of your ilk feel the same.

The rest of Toronto, the ones who typically don't vote Liberal or NDP much like the downtown core, will vote for a right of centre mayor and based on the support he got last time, these people aren't concerned with his image as frankly, it was already shitty when he got the job.

That's reasonable, though I'm not sure what you mean by "my ilk". I don't think rural, libertarian, academic types are much of a voting demographic in Toronto elections. I also think you're way too enamoured with what you perceive as successes of Ford's administration. That's myth and it's a myth that's been exposed (you never did answer that question posed of you earlier). That revelation will hurt Ford's chances for re-election as much (well, maybe not as much but significantly) as his ongoing personal bumbles.

So, wanna bet?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:26 am

Lemmy wrote:
That's reasonable, though I'm not sure what you mean by "my ilk". I don't think rural, libertarian, academic types are much of a voting demographic in Toronto elections. I also think you're way too enamoured with what you perceive as successes of Ford's administration. That's myth and it's a myth that's been exposed (you never did answer that question posed of you earlier). That revelation will hurt Ford's chances for re-election as much (well, maybe not as much but significantly) as his ongoing personal bumbles.

So, wanna bet?

You never asked me a question. I assume you wanted me to comment which I did in the conversation I was having with another user. His numbers are flawed as they ignore major things like major debt increased AND spending increases. Finances look great when you only look at the good part.

Only lefties in government will rack up debt with one hand and brag about surplus in the other. That's Liberal politics. Is Toronto still bleeding money? Damn right they are...they just aren't bleeding as badly.

Another bet? :lol: No thanks Lemmy, I'll just rub it in and laugh when the time comes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:11 pm

Quote:
t's a good thing that Fat Bastard can be both entertaining and effective as a mayor. At least if Miller was a little more like Fat Bastard it would have taken away from those steamy hot piles he continually dropped all over the City. :lol:

They guy has been idle for a year and half. Most of his supposed successes were back in 2011, when he was still new. He hasn't really accomplished anything since except make an ass of himself and he's been handed a few humiliating defeats...his retarded transit plans for example.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:00 am

BeaverFever wrote:
Quote:
t's a good thing that Fat Bastard can be both entertaining and effective as a mayor. At least if Miller was a little more like Fat Bastard it would have taken away from those steamy hot piles he continually dropped all over the City. :lol:

They guy has been idle for a year and half. Most of his supposed successes were back in 2011, when he was still new. He hasn't really accomplished anything since except make an ass of himself and he's been handed a few humiliating defeats...his retarded transit plans for example.

Yes, because you are fully aware of the mayor's day to day activities, right? In fact, you don't have a clue what's happening unless the Toronto Star spoon-feeds you the information.

In the end, he can't accomplish anything, remember? He's only one vote on Council. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:22 am

Quote:
At least eight people approached Toronto Councillor Paul Ainslie with concerns Mayor Rob Ford was impaired at a military ball.
In an email Tuesday to fellow members of the Garrison Ball organizing committee, Ainslie explained how he took action that ended with Ford being asked to leave the Feb. 23 gala.

Ainslie wrote that he was “approached by at least eight people who were concerned about the Mayor’s state.” Ainslie said he went to speak to the mayor, found him “somewhat incoherent,” and told Ford’s chief of staff, Mark Towhey, “I think it would be a good idea for the Mayor to leave.”

Meanwhile, two other city councillors stepped forward Tuesday to urge Ford to get help for alcohol addiction problems. Sarah Doucette and Joe Mihevc said it is time the mayor sought treatment.

Lies, all lies! Even when Ford's allies are indicating that there's a problem. Must be the Star just out to get Robbie again.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2013/03/27/ainslie_email_details_what_happened_at_garrison_ball.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:32 am

Lemmy wrote:
Lies, all lies! Even when Ford's allies are indicating that there's a problem. Must be the Star just out to get Robbie again.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2013/03/27/ainslie_email_details_what_happened_at_garrison_ball.html

The 12 anonymous sources? Ford allies? :lol: :lol:

Ignoring that the organizers sent out a release saying they didn't ask Ford to leave?

BTW, Lemmy....looks like your beloved and truthful Sarah Thompson isn't such an innocent media darling.

She offered to have sex with Conrad Black to get his interview:
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2013 ... 87936.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:38 am

You want the paper to give up its sources now, Mr. Stalin?

My beloved Sarah Thomson? I don't love her. I do think she's telling the truth about a coked-out frat boy grabbing her ass though.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:43 am

Lemmy wrote:
You want the paper to give up its sources now, Mr. Stalin?.

C'mon now, for a story like this to be credible people should be willing to put their name on it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:46 am

Unsound wrote:
C'mon now, for a story like this to be credible people should be willing to put their name on it.

Since when? That's not how journalism works. If sources were revealed by newspapers, no one would talk to reporters. How would that be good for society?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:56 am

Lemmy wrote:
Unsound wrote:

Since when? That's not how journalism works. If sources were revealed by newspapers, no one would talk to reporters. How would that be good for society?

That's how it works, at the Star....when covering Rob Ford.

12 anonymous sources in the piece for a paper that's been caught lurking around Ford's cottage is Muskoka.

Bush-league journalism. They're not too far behind Sun News these days.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:59 am

Journalists only need two independent sources. 12 is overkill. Say what you want about the Star's agenda, but this story is solid.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:15 am

Lemmy wrote:
Journalists only need two independent sources. 12 is overkill. Say what you want about the Star's agenda, but this story is solid.

Of course you would, you don't like Ford and have ignored the multiple sources that have publicly denied the story using their actual names including the organizers of the event.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 am

I wonder how much smoke you need to see before you can say there's a fire?

Is the National Post better than The Star?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/03/27 ... treatment/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next