canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:46 am

Maybe teachers should stop paying thousands out of their own pockets to buy classroom materials.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:52 am

OnTheIce wrote:
I would think that the role of a custodian involves cleaning garbage off the floors, sweeping, etc. Would you agree?

They're not doing it. If you're not doing your job, you should be fired.
http://www.quintenews.com/2015/10/enoug ... ols/97845/

Why we allow this bullshit to continue over and over again is beyond me.

This example is not 'work to rule'. It's work avoidance, work stoppage, work slow-down, or something else.

This is assuming that the custodial work is supposed to be done by a designated custodian. If a teacher is expected to do this work and it's not in the contract or legal job description then it's not the teacher's job and their refusal to do it would be protected in a work-to-rule action.

For instance, I work to rule in my new job in information security. I've had numerous people ask me to do work that's tied to my old job as an engineer and I don't do that work anymore. I won't do it. The reason I left that job was because too many people were assholes who thought I was a wooch who'd have to whatever they told me to do.

My job was to work on technical issues for the state on state-owned equipment.

Despite what too many people thought my job did not include:

[list=]Changing the paper towels in the bathrooms
Putting paper in a printer
Helping people with their personal cell phones
Installing computers at anyone's home
Helping them get their personal Apple device on our network
Moving furniture
Carrying things to/from someone's car
Being on-call 24/7/365
Letting shitheads yell at me
Using my photographic equipment for their state event without pay
and etc. [/list]

These days if the request has nothing to do with my job I don't do it. Anyone not liking that can kiss my ass.

And if the teachers are expected to take out the trash and they're not doing it then maybe the schools need to hire custodians to do that work and then let the teachers focus on teaching.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:18 am

BartSimpson wrote:

And if the teachers are expected to take out the trash and they're not doing it then maybe the schools need to hire custodians to do that work and then let the teachers focus on teaching.

This isn't about teachers.

This is the custodians not cleaning the schools.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:20 am

OnTheIce wrote:
This isn't about teachers.

This is the custodians not cleaning the schools.

Then fire them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:47 am

Work to rule tactics generally don't result in dismissal unless they engage in vandalism or destruction of property.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:51 am

Thanos wrote:
Work to rule tactics generally don't result in dismissal unless they engage in vandalism or destruction of property.

"Work to rule" should NEVER result in any sanction whatsoever.

If people show up to work on time, do the job they're supposed to do, and then leave on time then that's what they're supposed to do.

Sanctioning people because they don't do extra work is flat out acknowledging that the extra work is REQUIRED and the teachers will have a very solid case for claiming back pay and damages for all of the extra work they were required to do in years past.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:20 pm

ShepherdsDog wrote:
Maybe teachers should stop paying thousands out of their own pockets to buy classroom materials.

I've been on both sides (opinion wise) of various teacher vs school board disputes over the years, but this I agree with in every case.

If the school boards are unable to supply necessary materials then those boards need to hear about it at election time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Those boards can't do very much about it when their budget is controlled by a different rank of politicians that get away with gutting the schools by playing austerity super-hero and then get re-elected as a reward by voters who fall for it every single time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:17 am

A graphic from Canada's best blogger

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanos wrote:
Those boards can't do very much about it when their budget is controlled by a different rank of politicians that get away with gutting the schools by playing austerity super-hero and then get re-elected as a reward by voters who fall for it every single time.

There has been zero austerity when it comes to unions, teachers and Ontario.

In Ontario, enrollment is down and wages and benefits are up. The teachers have done very well under the eye of McGuinty and now, Wynne.

They have no reason to gripe. They've been well taken care of and spent millions getting this party back into power.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:49 am

PluggyRug wrote:
WTF are union dues for?. Liberal math at it's finest.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e26913260/

it's amazing, we agree on something!

here's the deal: unions have had their teeth ripped out since the Rand formula and no-strike clauses became a thing. this is scab unionism at its finest, and all scab unions colaborate with the management and employing classes. unfortunately, this is the normal way most unions operate because they refuse to grow a spine and use union dues to fight the boss instead of paying for his dinner.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:53 am

Lemmy wrote:
How is it your business what's negotiated collectively and agreed upon by both sides?

didn't you call yourself a pro-labour economist in some other thread? pretty poor analisys for someone describing himself that way. maybe that's why i have trouble believing what you write :idea:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:55 am

OnTheIce wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
How is it your business what's negotiated collectively and agreed upon by both sides?

Because it's my money.

As a taxpayer, I'm entitled to have an opinion on how and where my money has been spent.

This should never have made it into the contract. This is why unions collect dues. They don't need to be double compensated.

Add to that, it seems like a load of crap to pay a million dollars to a union that forced their teachers out on an illegal strike. An illegal strike with zero consequences besides a 1 million dollar cheque.

illegal strikes are what get the goods, but only if they come from a mandate by the workers. top-down unionism is gross.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:59 am

DanSC wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
It's not your money.

If it's a public union it's most definitely the public's money.

i don't think you understand how union dues work...

and especially in the case of today's business unions, the way dues are collected contribute to anti-union sentiment. that is scab unionism. the Rand formula needs to die.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:04 am

BartSimpson wrote:

Really, what better form of democracy can there be then to be able to say what your money gets spent on?

i used to strongly disagree with this, but i've realised that taxes, while being an instrument of redistributing wealth, are still only a means of reforming capitalism and are thus still subject to the rules of capitalism. we don't need to redistribute wealth if the ruling and employing classes aren't stealing any of it in the first place.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 8  Next