Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:04 pm

Jonny_C wrote:
Freakinoldguy wrote:
15 miles out? If what ever they fired at you is that close you had better pray the CIWS is fully loaded and your luck holds especially if it's travelling at 3 times the speed of sound. 8O

Well no combat jet flies that fast (i.e. the F-35 maxes out at mach 1.6). Neither do anti-ship missiles. And if you're talking a carrier with its customary screen of warships, your warning comes a lot sooner. Just a couple of things to consider.

I've written before that I wonder whether stealth technology might not be neutralized by advancements in detection. I thought this new British radar might be a step in that direction.

15 miles out for a tennis ball means that a larger object (stealthy or not) should be visible for much longer ranges, I would think. Stealth isn't Klingon cloaking. :)

I doubt this will make one iota of difference to the current steatlth technology especially since we already have radars that can see over the the horizon which makes stealth somewhat obsolete because they haven't invented missles or tennis balls that don't give away the firing platform at launch which, would likely explain the current doctrine of saturation firing with the hope one of your shots gets through.

But you may be onto something about the distances that they aren't telling us. My guess would be that this is a very very long range over the horizon radar that can see at incredible distances but, the British Gov't being the British Gov't is doing what it's been famous for. Misinformation and deception which the paper glady printed thinking it was onto something new and special.

The only thing I can see this radar being good for is planes of the non stealth variety that are being flown by WWII Japanese pilots.

Misinformation plain and simple.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Freakinoldguy wrote:
The only thing I can see this radar being good for is planes of the non stealth variety that are being flown by WWII Japanese pilots.

Heh heh. What was that time warp movie where F-14 Tomcats were shooting down Zero's.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Jonny_C wrote:
Freakinoldguy wrote:

Heh heh. What was that time warp movie where F-14 Tomcats were shooting down Zero's.

The Final Countdown.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:22 pm

That's the one.