bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:08 am

novachick novachick:
fire_i fire_i:
Hem, firstly, we're not French, we speak French - big difference. Call us Québécois or French-Canadians, whatever, but we're not French.

Secondly... so, what's your point? Francophone bashing by calling us names?

Thirdly, did you use babelfish to make your translation? It's... not very good.

The thing I found is there are three schools of thought in Quebec. One school wants to be called Quebecois, one French-Canadians, another Canadian. What I'm not quite sure of is this a political split, a heritage issue? I have one word down though Tabarnak :D

A coffee shop in Quebec with an English name is the best place to start this debate all over again.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:18 am

Benoit Benoit:
novachick novachick:
fire_i fire_i:
Hem, firstly, we're not French, we speak French - big difference. Call us Québécois or French-Canadians, whatever, but we're not French.

The thing I found is there are three schools of thought in Quebec. One school wants to be called Quebecois, one French-Canadians, another Canadian. What I'm not quite sure of is this a political split, a heritage issue? I have one word down though Tabarnak :D

A coffee shop in Quebec with an English name is the best place to start this debate all over again.

Like Tim Hortons? It's still Tim Hortons PDT_Armataz_01_03 Is my blonde head bobbling and I'm missing the point again [huh] No kids some things never change :oops:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:25 am

novachick novachick:
Benoit Benoit:
novachick novachick:
fire_i fire_i:

Like Tim Hortons? It's still Tim Hortons PDT_Armataz_01_03 Is my blonde head bobbling and I'm missing the point again [huh] No kids some things never change :oops:

About Second Cup (see the very first post).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:29 am

Benoit Benoit:
novachick novachick:
Benoit Benoit:
novachick novachick:
fire_i fire_i:

K I jumped into the middle as usual :P

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:47 am

In the very beginning, coffee shops were places where neighbors would go the get some heat since, in the old days, most houses weren’t heated in winter time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:55 am

novachick novachick:
Benoit Benoit:
novachick novachick:
Benoit Benoit:
novachick novachick:
fire_i fire_i:

That makes it a cycle in which you are trapped with the man.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:07 pm

A coffee shop can become a forum.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:43 pm

novachick novachick:
fire_i fire_i:

My, that old quote is popular. ;>.>

novachick novachick:
Don't know you but I like Quebec just fine. I just got back from Quebec city a few days ago. Something like that I was stuck in Ontario for awhile ( can you say snow 8O ) Anyway my point is I had no trouble with french signs. I found in Old Quebec where I stayed most things were bi-lingual as are staff. Once you pass through the walls it's a little different. Ok I'm wandering here, no i'm not drinking just wound. The thing I found is there are three schools of thought in Quebec. One school wants to be called Quebecois, one French-Canadians, another Canadian. What I'm not quite sure of is this a political split, a heritage issue? I have one word down though Tabarnak :D

Both heritage and political split, though probably more of the latter than the former - it depends on whether a) people see French Quebec culture as different enough from English Canadian culture to warrant another name than "Canadian" and b) whether we can put francophone Quebecers in the same boat as all francophone Canadians.

As an extension to a), I'd add that many would believe that while there are marked differences between the francophone Quebec culture and the anglopgone Canadian culture, it's not worth calling ourselves anything other than "Canadian". Basically, that belief would be that there is a difference, but that it doesn't matter.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:53 pm

If the name of a coffee shop in Quebec would be Forum or Agora, no Quebecer would mind that it is not a French name.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:14 pm

ziggy ziggy:
novachick novachick:
Benoit Benoit:
novachick novachick:
Benoit Benoit:
novachick novachick:
fire_i fire_i:

That makes it a cycle in which you are trapped with the man.

What are ya smoking today Ziggy :P or are you just trying to trap me on a motorcycle with you PDT_Armataz_01_03 :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:18 pm

fire_i fire_i:
novachick novachick:
fire_i fire_i:

My, that old quote is popular. ;>.>

novachick novachick:
Don't know you but I like Quebec just fine. I just got back from Quebec city a few days ago. Something like that I was stuck in Ontario for awhile ( can you say snow 8O ) Anyway my point is I had no trouble with french signs. I found in Old Quebec where I stayed most things were bi-lingual as are staff. Once you pass through the walls it's a little different. Ok I'm wandering here, no i'm not drinking just wound. The thing I found is there are three schools of thought in Quebec. One school wants to be called Quebecois, one French-Canadians, another Canadian. What I'm not quite sure of is this a political split, a heritage issue? I have one word down though Tabarnak :D

Both heritage and political split, though probably more of the latter than the former - it depends on whether a) people see French Quebec culture as different enough from English Canadian culture to warrant another name than "Canadian" and b) whether we can put francophone Quebecers in the same boat as all francophone Canadians.

As an extension to a), I'd add that many would believe that while there are marked differences between the francophone Quebec culture and the anglopgone Canadian culture, it's not worth calling ourselves anything other than "Canadian". Basically, that belief would be that there is a difference, but that it doesn't matter.

Hmmm not sure i would agree with the school of thought it doesn't matter. IMHO cultural diversity should be celebrated while still retaining your Canadian identity. I don't think they need to be mutually exclusive.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:49 pm

Quebec is awesome and very picturesque. The people are very nice.. but then I as a Quebecer am biased lol.. Although I support bill 101 in principle,, the methods and tactics used by the so called language police are starting to piss me off..
they need to realize this is Canada and not a communist fucking country..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:52 pm

kenmore kenmore:
Quebec is awesome and very picturesque. The people are very nice.. but then I as a Quebecer am biased lol.. Although I support bill 101 in principle,, the methods and tactics used by the so called language police are starting to piss me off..

Right on.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:54 pm

Coffee shops have become a boosting spots to those workers having to cop with the inhuman schedules of globalised workplaces. So, English is a matter of fact for the modern users of coffee shops.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:13 pm

kenmore kenmore:

Well said!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next