CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7648
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:42 pm
 


oh you can say it .. you just cant put it on a sign.... they dont stop anyone from speaking english.. mon dieu!


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11421
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:47 pm
 


Yogi wrote:
[quote="kenmore"

'Be who you are, and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'!

As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!


Thats absurd. :!:


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8889
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:51 pm
 


novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
[quote="kenmore"

'Be who you are, and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'!

As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!


Thats absurd. :!:



Why? It's no more absurd than sign laws. Those rate 'right up there' with the federal gun registry!


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7648
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:52 pm
 


Hey novachick. I used to live in Dartmouth at one time... was there for a couple of years.. love NS.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11421
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:56 pm
 


Yogi wrote:
novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
[quote="kenmore"

'Be who you are, and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'!

As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!


Thats absurd. :!:



Why? It's no more absurd than sign laws. Those rate 'right up there' with the federal gun registry!


You don't think a statement such as " As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!" is absurd and over blown.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11421
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:59 pm
 


kenmore wrote:
Hey novachick. I used to live in Dartmouth at one time... was there for a couple of years.. love NS.


Thanks :D


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8889
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:13 pm
 


novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
[quote="kenmore"

'Be who you are, and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'!

As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!


Thats absurd. :!:



Why? It's no more absurd than sign laws. Those rate 'right up there' with the federal gun registry!


You don't think a statement such as " As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!" is absurd and over blown.


I was 'speaking in general terms' and thought people would 'pick up' on that. Mea culpa.

I guess I should have said SPECIFICALLY ' As long as you don't WRITE IT ON A SIGN IN QUEBEC' !


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11421
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:28 pm
 


Yogi wrote:
novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
[quote="kenmore"

'Be who you are, and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'!

As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!


Thats absurd. :!:



Why? It's no more absurd than sign laws. Those rate 'right up there' with the federal gun registry!


You don't think a statement such as " As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!" is absurd and over blown.


I was 'speaking in general terms' and thought people would 'pick up' on that. Mea culpa.

I guess I should have said SPECIFICALLY ' As long as you don't WRITE IT ON A SIGN IN QUEBEC' !


Yogi how long have you known me to be a specific blonde :lol: It's me bear that in mind ROTFL [stupid]


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8889
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:46 pm
 


novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
[quote="kenmore"

'Be who you are, and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'!

As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!


Thats absurd. :!:



Why? It's no more absurd than sign laws. Those rate 'right up there' with the federal gun registry!


You don't think a statement such as " As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!" is absurd and over blown.


I was 'speaking in general terms' and thought people would 'pick up' on that. Mea culpa.

I guess I should have said SPECIFICALLY ' As long as you don't WRITE IT ON A SIGN IN QUEBEC' !


Yogi how long have you known me to be a specific blonde :lol: It's me bear that in mind ROTFL [stupid]



We're in agreement then Nova, You're 'Specifically Blonde'! :lol:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11421
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:47 pm
 


Yogi wrote:
novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
novachick wrote:
Yogi wrote:
[quote="kenmore"

'Be who you are, and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'!

As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!


Thats absurd. :!:



Why? It's no more absurd than sign laws. Those rate 'right up there' with the federal gun registry!


You don't think a statement such as " As long as you don't say it in English in Quebec!" is absurd and over blown.


I was 'speaking in general terms' and thought people would 'pick up' on that. Mea culpa.

I guess I should have said SPECIFICALLY ' As long as you don't WRITE IT ON A SIGN IN QUEBEC' !


Yogi how long have you known me to be a specific blonde :lol: It's me bear that in mind ROTFL [stupid]



We're in agreement then Nova, You're 'Specifically Blonde'! :lol:


ROTFL ROTFL


Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 874
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:00 pm
 


Novachick wrote:
Well said Fire! PDT_Armataz_01_37 [BB]


High five!

Yogi wrote:
Spending money to protect your heritage IS NOT a waste of money, But people need to get their priorities straight!


Quote:
"Sorry Mes ami(e)s, but the money required to get that heart operation that would likely save YOUR life has been allocated for our legal fight over our sign laws. By the way, if you should run into my Grandpa 'up there' would ya say hello for me"?

Public funds SHOULD be used for issues affecting the life, health,safety, and liberty of the people. ALL the rest is 'luxury and fluff' and as such should be paid for by those who want to maintain. Let the user pay.


Well, money is also allocated to organizing elections, paying the interest on the debt, repairing roads, making TV ads, paying the salary of that guy who double-checks some bills, financing a museum, buying new chairs for the parliament, raising flags...

Many of those are less important than money for a brain surgery, you'll agree. Yet we pretty much have to pay for those, nay? Well I see the language issue on the same ground. It's a matter of priority, as you say : you can't just cut funding over and over on anything that's fluff in the slightest way, else every single penny will go to hospitals, schools and highways. I personally find protecting French to be a major issue and would cut funding elsewhere before cutting there, even if to benefit something even more crucial like healthcare.

Quote:
You want the 'French language and traditions' to survive, then it is up to you to teach your off-spring and promote it.Don't come to me with your hand out looking for money to send your kids to a 'French only' school. If it is important enough to enough people, then they will reach into their own pockets to fund it! Should your tax dollars or mine be going towards the recently approve 'Blacks only' school? Shouldn't the user pay?


Can't do that if you don't control the upper spheres of society! I'll point out the 50's again : back then francophones were even more overwhelming in numbers than today, yet French was insignificant since no francophone held worthwhile power outside a few areas. French definitely was being promoted by most, but a tiny minority that held power didn't give a damn about it and it was left to die. THAT is why language laws were voted : because your principle of "enough interest = survival of the language" was unfit! Is it still the same? Certainly not to the same extent. But in a way, it still is - and the laws that were meant to give French a push (and did so) are now still around in a slightly less impressive form to prevent it from falling back against the will of the overwhelming majority.

And really, the whole idea of French-only schools is a fucking lie. First of all, it's already a stupid thing there's a separation between French and English schools - it's understandable, but it's bullshit. Second, English is still heavily promoted even in French schools! Heck, every Quebec government since I've been born has made a point of improving the learning of English in the province. Look, it's simple : nobody 'doesn't have the right to learn English' - it's just that everybody has the duty to master French, because in Quebec, it's considered just as important as knowing high-school level math, geography and history. It's time for people to realize that English is not being crushed in Quebec. It's promoted. The difference from the rest of Canada, the only difference, is that knowledge of French is seen as necessary to the point of putting everything together so that mastery of it is easily attainable to every student - hence why people have to go to French schools. They can still learn English, and again, they are encouraged to do so, and having at least a basic knowledge of it is necessary, and nearly everyone constantly points out the current level of mastery of English among students is too poor - so year in year out, English is always made more and more important, and that's fine because it's not at the expense of French.

Think of it this way. Two parents want their son to learn math in base 9 instead of base 10, and they are outraged that the govt forces their son to learn in base 10. Well really, what prevents them from teaching him base 9 if they so desire while he also learns base 10 at school? It's considered that you can't function properly in society without knowing base 10 math, therefore that knowledge is made mandatory. And nobody questions that, because we're used to it... but really, we could question it just as much as people question supposed "french-only" schools. In Quebec it's considered not knowing French is so damageable to an individual learning it in the best conditions possible is mandatory - that's a choice society made, and it's far, far less restrictive than many others nobody ever puts on the hot seat.

Disagree and all that, that's okay. But nobody can say this is a fascist choice... it isn't! It's hardly even a restrictive law at all, and considering the division between English and French school boards is arbitrary in itself, one has to wonder why we'd have to change a disposition of Bill 101 that so far not only works as intended but also is probably not even the direct basis of any problem.

And that goes without saying that unlike for base 9 math in my example, English classes are actually a) mandatory and b) offered in intensive varieties as well.

Quote:
The French culture, like any other will survive and possibly even flourish if there is enough INTEREST from enough people. Where the French and every other culture runs into resistance is by trying to take away peoples choice and foisting their own values and beliefs upon others and to add insult to injury, expecting them to pay for something that they don't want!


One thing about paying for something one doesn't want. I don't want to pay for the roads in Gaspesia to be repaired. I don't give a fuck. Why would I, in the future, have to pay taxes for that? Why wouldn't the Gaspesians alone do it? Isn't it unfair?

Well damn, tough luck! I live on territory administered by the same entity as Gaspesia, and the government that was elected to administer it decided to use tax dollars gathered all across the territory to pay for that expense even though it's certain many, if not most, don't give a damn and would rather have their money back. Same for the language laws. You don't want to pay for them but live in Quebec? Well, tough luck. Nothing one can do about it under the current system! That's just how things work. And heck, this time, the majority actually agrees...

Look, I don't want the industries in say, Manitoba to be subsidized - but damn, I can't just check a box on my taxes that say I won't pay for that and leave the Manitobans do it themselves. The country has a government. The govt collects taxes. The country elected the govt and expects it to follow its program and act for the good of all with the ressources of all. The govt decides it has to take everyone's money to give it back to a few, or to many, or to most, but rarely to all. That's how it is. Whatever the issue, it's always just as unfair, and there's never anything to do about it! The same thing about the language issue is no more insulting than for any other problem.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4663
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:38 pm
 


We should not put on the same level the police and the language police because a dead person cannot be resurrected but a dead language (like Latin for example) can still be used.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11421
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:42 pm
 


Benoit wrote:
We should not put on the same level the police and the language police because a dead person cannot be resurrected but a dead language (like Latin for example) can still be used.


I'm sorry but WHAT???????


Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 874
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:56 pm
 


I think Benoit read over my long post too quickly.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4663
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:58 pm
 


novachick wrote:
Benoit wrote:
We should not put on the same level the police and the language police because a dead person cannot be resurrected but a dead language (like Latin for example) can still be used.


I'm sorry but WHAT???????


We should put on the same level the police and the language police only if deliberate efforts are made by some (English) people to erase and destroy the French memory of possible past injustices that French Quebecers have had to accept.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 14  15  16  17  18  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.