canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
 Detroit Red Wings

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:37 pm

$1:
SHERBROOKE, Que. - A Quebec man has been charged with drinking and driving for the 17th time.

Maurice Larrivee allegedly showed up this Sunday morning at a grocery store to buy a case of two dozen beers at 8:45.

The cashier allegedly warned the 69-year-old man that he appeared too drunk to drive and, along with fellow employees, tried to convince him not to get back in his car.

Larrivee allegedly ignored the request, and left.

That's when store employees called the police, in Sherbrooke, Que. The 69-year-old was arrested in the parking lot.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/get ... z2JJC3GxT9

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Way to go, store employees!

Did they actually sell him that case? As a bartender, you are the one responsible when you sell drunk people more booze, but does that go for store employees too?

Detroit Red Wings

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 pm

I've never bought beer on a Sunday morning. I tried once while residing in the southern U.S. and was told that I could not purchase any beer before noon on Sunday. I would think that not allowing beer sales in the morning any day would be a good thing. From experience (of course not first hand) I know that drinking first thing in the morning can only lead to trouble.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Jughead Jughead:
From experience (of course not first hand) I know that drinking first thing in the morning can only lead to trouble.

It can make the hangover easier to take, or just eliminate it by just staying drunk. :mrgreen:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Jughead Jughead:
I've never bought beer on a Sunday morning. I tried once while residing in the southern U.S. and was told that I could not purchase any beer before noon on Sunday. I would think that not allowing beer sales in the morning any day would be a good thing. From experience (of course not first hand) I know that drinking first thing in the morning can only lead to trouble.

I've bought alcohol on Sunday morning... Sunday morning usually follows Saturday night. Saturday night could get pretty crazy. :D

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:43 pm

How on earth does someone DUI 17 times and not have their license taken away for good?

I hate to say it but we could learn from the Yukon. They have a separate piece of ID for drinking that the cops can take away if you do anything stupid while drunk.

Next time someone DUI just take away their ability to drink for a few months. For some of these clowns it's far more important to them. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 pm

I honestly wonder what it takes to have ones license suspended for the rest of your natural life. This man should never be licensed ever again and should spend considerable time in jail for this latest charge.

I'm wondering if he can be labelled a dangerous offender and locked up indefinitely?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:49 pm

$1:
How on earth does someone DUI 17 times and not have their license taken away for good?

Lenient judges.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:53 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
I honestly wonder what it takes to have ones license suspended for the rest of your natural life. This man should never be licensed ever again and should spend considerable time in jail for this latest charge.

I'm wondering if he can be labelled a dangerous offender and locked up indefinitely?

Alcoholism is a disease, ya know, a mental illness. You can murder someone and get away with it...

Last edited by Brenda on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:05 pm

You know what?

Maybe it's time we had a talk on if Alcoholism really is a disease again in society. It seems the vast vast majority of us can have a few drinks twice a week and never have the problem.

It seems we want to diagnose everything in todays world so we can throw a pill at it.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 pm

CanadianJeff CanadianJeff:

I hate to say it but we could learn from the Yukon. They have a separate piece of ID for drinking that the cops can take away if you do anything stupid while drunk.

Next time someone DUI just take away their ability to drink for a few months. For some of these clowns it's far more important to them. :P

My guess is that he was driving without a license.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Brenda Brenda:

Did they actually sell him that case? As a bartender, you are the one responsible when you sell drunk people more booze, but does that go for store employees too?

Yes, it does.

Not sure what the laws are like in Quebec with this but here in BC a clerk in a liquor store is just as responsible as a server or bartender. You can and should refuse service to someone who is already intoxicated.

17 DUI's? That is completely ridiculous. Jerk should NOT have a drivers' license, he clearly does not deserve it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:18 pm

In no way shape or form am I exonerating this drunken asshat but, if he were a crackhead and this was his 17th arrest for robbery there are alot of people in this country who'd feel sorry for him and try to keep him out of jail. :roll:

So what's the difference?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:54 pm

People who can't properly fake being sober shouldn't be in stores...

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:54 pm

Brenda Brenda:

Nice to see who you blame first.