canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:33 am

Georgia Teens Raise Money to Hold High School’s First Integrated Prom Ever: ‘Yeah It’s Kind of Embarrassing’

Quote:
Ironically, it was just after the high school in Wilcox County, Georgia, became integrated thirty years ago that the school held its first segregated proms.

"It's embarrassing to know that I'm from the county that still does this," Wilcox County High School student Keela Bloodworth told 41NBC.

Bloodworth, a black student, and three of her friends — two of them white — have launched an effort to hold the school's first ever integrated prom, but the task is proving more difficult than one might expect in 2013.

"I actually put up posters for the integrated prom and we've had people ripping them down at the school," Bloodworth told CBS Atlanta.

Both the separate black and white proms and the separate black and white homecoming dances are privately funded by parents and students, so Bloodworth and her friends have been forced to try and raise the money themselves.

While the school has no official stance on the matter, it did decide that there should be only one homecoming king and queen this year.

But it was an empty gesture: The white king and black queen were not allowed to take joint photographs for the yearbook, and neither is allowed to attend the other's prom.

"I think it's more of the personal opinions of those involved," City Councilman Wayne McGuinty told Fox24. "I don't think there is an effort made to keep black kids out of the white prom and to keep white kids out of the black prom."

Actually, there is.

When a biracial student attempted to enter the white prom just last year, police were called to turn them away.

McGuinty, meanwhile, fondly reflected on his high school days, when the school had three proms instead of two.

"They couldn't agree if they wanted a live band or a DJ, so there were two white proms that year," he said.

http://gawker.com/5993585/georgia-teens ... socialflow

8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:38 am

If the parents are paying the fare for the proms then they can invite who they want. This is a non-story given that the parents of the black kids could make their prom integrated if they wanted to yet it seems that they don't want to, either.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:18 am

BartSimpson wrote:
If the parents are paying the fare for the proms then they can invite who they want. This is a non-story given that the parents of the black kids could make their prom integrated if they wanted to yet it seems that they don't want to, either.

Ok. First I'll admit my ignorance being that I am (a) Canadian and (b) never traveled to the Deep South (The only place "South" I've been is Richmond, Virginia and I'm told Va. is not much "South" anymore).

However, I am taking a U.S. Studies degree and have been taking an abundance of courses at university in American history and am currently in an African-American history course. So I forthright admit my opinions come from learning about this stuff in a Northern academic sense.

That disclaimer aside:

I agree with you that they have freedom of association and both groups (black and white community members) have every right to organize and hold their own proms so long as its privately funded. I would say however that even thoughts its private, they have no right to deny any student of the opposite race from attending. I think first and foremost of, albeit rare in this region, interracial relationships. A black/white couple should be able to enjoy their prom together.

Getting away from the fact they have the right to do it, the larger cultural message is just SAD. Can you can agree here, Bart?

Don't get me wrong. I'm coming to the point where I consider multiculturalism a farce myself. Here in Vancouver, I've found coming from a rural 90% WASP prairie town (WASP = White Anglo Saxon Protestant) and being WASP myself, that the different ethnic groups interact in work and school sure but have little to do with each other in their private lives. Whites are going to fall to 38% of Metro Vancouver's population by 2031 and the ethnoburbs here are expected to only get starker. Newly landed immigrants, I find, stick to their own and have little desire to integrate into the larger Western culture.

I don't discriminate in who I associate with, but by the sheer fact that I find non-whites who are new Canadians/intl. students stick to their own groups, that all but one of my friends are white. White neighbourhoods are on the rise in Vancouver as white people feel outcasted in these majority-minority communities and seek some sense of comraderie by moving to more white areas.

I go on that side explanation because I get the human nature of groups sticking to their own. However, even if that is the case, we should be striving to foster an environment of inclusion and integration. These small southern towns are stuck in their old ways and pass on to their children a belief that while maybe blacks are not "lesser" but that you don't associate or intermingle. Its such utter BS.

In 2013 segregated proms shouldn't be happening, period.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:21 am

BartSimpson wrote:

That just sounds like apologizing for backwards racism. I bet if Muslims didn't want non-Muslims at "their" prom, you'd be having a fit regardless of who is paying for it.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:26 am

Maybe we in Canada could throw them a prom and show them how it's done. Which prom do the Asians attend? :oops:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:29 am

BF & WMG,
I'm not saying that I endorse what's happening just that they're free to do so. So long as the events are privately funded then no one has any right to tell either side (black or white) who they have to invite to their private party.

As to the scenario with the Muslims the same standard applies. So long as it is a privately provided function then the Muslims would have the right to include or exclude whoever they want and I would defend their right to do so just the same.

The way this kid is addressing the issue, by raising funds for an integrated prom, is the right way to deal with it. Outlawing or regulating who can attend a private party is an absurd abuse of government power.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:35 am

westmanguy wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I'm coming to the point where I consider multiculturalism a farce myself. Here in Vancouver, I've found coming from a rural 90% WASP prairie town (WASP = White Anglo Saxon Protestant) and being WASP myself, that the different ethnic groups interact in work and school sure but have little to do with each other in their private lives. Whites are going to fall to 38% of Metro Vancouver's population by 2031 and the ethnoburbs here are expected to only get starker. Newly landed immigrants, I find, stick to their own and have little desire to integrate into the larger Western culture.

I don't discriminate in who I associate with, but by the sheer fact that I find non-whites who are new Canadians/intl. students stick to their own groups, that all but one of my friends are white. White neighbourhoods are on the rise in Vancouver as white people feel outcasted in these majority-minority communities and seek some sense of comraderie by moving to more white areas.

I go on that side explanation because I get the human nature of groups sticking to their own. However, even if that is the case, we should be striving to foster an environment of inclusion and integration.

I'd say you're not trying hard enough if you don't know only one non-white person in Vancouver. I knew plenty of foreign students in my undergrad years - and that was in Edmonton, which has far fewer international students than Vancouver does.

Try joining some student groups or volunteering around campus - you'll meet a ton of people from other places. I knew students from all over Asia and the third world due to volunteering and checking out clubs and groups 'outside my comfort zone'. I'll admit there were occasions when I felt out of place, but I looked at it like "that which does not kill me makes me stronger."

westmanguy wrote:
These small southern towns are stuck in their old ways and pass on to their children a belief that while maybe blacks are not "lesser" but that you don't associate or intermingle. Its such utter BS.

In 2013 segregated proms shouldn't be happening, period.

R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:35 am

Let's have separate proms for heterosexuals and homosexuals...
...we can't, that wouldn't be PC.

What about separate proms for whites and blacks...
...we're in Georgia, that would work.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 am

To me a prom is a school activity and should involve the whole school regardless of who's paying. Sounds like some Yanks got some catching up to do.... living a hundred years in the past ain't doing anyone any good.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:43 am

Wada wrote:
To me a prom is a school activity and should involve the whole school regardless of who's paying. Sounds like some Yanks got some catching up to do.... living a hundred years in the past ain't doing anyone any good.

These are private parties that take place off school grounds. The school has no say in these events and if they tried to regulate them the school would get sued.

You don't have to agree with what they're doing in order to let them do what they want.

It would be a different matter if the events took place on school grounds and that's why they don't take place on school grounds.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 am

raydan wrote:
Let's have separate proms for heterosexuals and homosexuals...
...we can't, that wouldn't be PC.

If it's not on school grounds and you pay for it yourself then you can.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am

Well, when a recent poll shows 1/4 of Republicans think Obama is the "Anti Christ" and even more, particularly in the South, still question his citizenship and thinks he's Muslim...

You got a different world down in that part of the country. The live an "us versus them" culture war scenario in their heads in life. Their ministers pump fear into them that there's a "War on Christianity" and they feel the South is being squeezed out by Northern values.

Its all such utter BS. I mean, I doubt they will have an all encompassing ruling, but take the SCOTUS and the Prop. 8 and DOMA cases. IF they were to invalidate the anti-SSM statutes in all 32 states that have them and legalize gay marriage nation wide, I truly believe the South would go into Revolt.

In more secular parts in the Northern U.S./Canada we don't truly grasp the power of the pulpit. These preachers are on their pulpits every Sunday pumping fear into their congregations saying that these are all signs of the "end is near" and that their way of life is under threat. Its psychological mayhem. And if gay marriage were sweepingly legalized I think you'd have those preachers declare that Christians need to "rise up" in some civil disobedience.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a sweeping ruling on SSM from the SCOTUS, but I know it might be better in the LT if its limited to Cali. for now. Its a different more narrow culture down there and I would be afraid of pushing them too quick.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:47 am

Bart, the school could have organized an integrated prom but didn't... the question is why?

Chicken-shit cowards or just racist. [huh]

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:48 am

^^ And this is something I know about. I was raised Baptist evangelical right near the infamous "Jesus Camp" in Devil's Lake, ND (there's a whole documentary on it). I've read all 40 "Left Behind: For Kids" and 10 "Left Behind" novels about the Rapture, and sat through these sermons.

Some of the biggest ego maniacs I've ever encountered in my life have been Ministers. They're incredible speakers and they know how to bait their congregations into this fear and paint it in very vivid and ultimate "judgement day" type scenarios.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:06 am

Guys, these are private parties taking place off of school grounds. There is NOTHING the government is allowed to do here.

White people are generally not allowed to attend Nation of Islam rallies that take place on private property and no one's got a right to sue and force the Nation of Islam to integrate. The same Constitutional principle applies here, too.

Feel free to donate to this girl's prom. I have a suspicion that she's going to rake in millions to fund her prom.

That's how you deal with this down here.

You don't use repression to end repression. :idea: