CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:22 pm

IWasYourCity IWasYourCity:
Hmmm, I think my original point has been lost (partly my fault.)

This is what I'm talking about: I made this post and made it clear that I wasn't putting my two cents in. I've talked to people of many many nations as a Candian American. I've never heard anyone with anything good to say about Canada. That was my point.

When you heard this, what hapened?

"Canada is attracting more Asian immigrants than the US!"
"Here's a detailed explaination of one immigrants choice of nations!"
"We're a multicultural nation, not a melting pot like silly America!"
"Oh, when I was in Europe I was treated like gold, not like the Americans who are far less welcome, according to me."

I told you the truth about what I've heard, and you act like I made a post that simply said "CANADURR SUCKS!"

This is why I included the story about the girl in the hostel. Canadians just get up in everyones face with details about what you think makes canada better than the US. Don't you see it's embarrassing?

I loved Toronto, but I get sad when I think of Canada as a whole. It's like I should be pround to say where I'm from; like the Irish, Italians, Russians, Portuguese, Central American, etc people I grew up with. But I'm not. It's like a joke. Ugh.

A JOKE!? You are a moron, there is nothing wrong with being a patriotic Canadian. Infact everyone i know is a patriotic Canadian including myself. Just do everyone a favor and don't write back on this site!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:29 pm

Almighty1 Almighty1:
Who really cares what most europeans think about us? Not me. Their opinions weigh in like feathers considering their freedom to have one was granted by us in WW2. For the origional poster of this retarded thread: Go fuck yourself and while your at it, bring the goofy European with ya. I too have been to Europe, most countries actually, and if you ask me we are well respected. Only once in France was I insulted in a bar for being Canadian and I tells ya, when all was said and done, the little prick who said it really regretted it. He learned the hard way how patriotic I was/am.
Not that the french can fight anyway......

lol Awesome, I would have done the same thing in that situation.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:26 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
I work with an Austrian and a Brit. Both have become Canadian citizens.

The Brit came to Canada in the early 1960's after a short tour around the US. He liked it well enough that he stayed except for five years back in England to look after his mother. He saw the major difference back then as Canada being a friendlier place with more opportunities for immigrants.

The Austrian first came over in the early 1990s. He went home for a short while to recover from a failed marriage, but returned on holiday a few years ago and decided to stay. He cites the same reasons as the Brit (about the only thing they agree on) and adds that the US is so disliked among his friends back home that he would be laughed at for moving there.

Both say that they knew very little about Canada when they first came, but liked what they saw when they got here. Both have also mentioned Canada's international reputation for being fair and not dominating other countries as a major asset.

I know quite a few immigrants from all over the world, but I know very few who are looking to move to the US. They have chosen Canada because they like it here.

I guess all those mexicans crossing the US border everyday aren't immigrants? Or the Haitians who were trying to get here, or the people from Cuba. How do you know these immigrants?? You were crossing the border with them? Most likely they are people who decided to go to Canada and are already there. Meet some immigrants in the US and they will probably say the same things. You peoples nationalism makes me sick. Everyone loves Canadians, Canadians are the best....OH PLEASE, that sounds sooooo stupid. It's like saying "everyone loves black people, black people are the best. Your line about immigrants had to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If you know an immigrant that lives in Canada, then his decision was to live in Canada, I mean whatever country these immigrants are living in was where they wanted to live. You people see the US on tv, or know a couple Americans, and suddenly you are experts on Americans.

You people generalize people of nations, have over the top nationalistic attitudes, and are just plain annoying with how you think the US is this terrible country. I'm ashamed that such people even exist in the human species. What I like most of all is that you people actually made a site praising Canadians. You all list all these inventions by people who just so happened to live in the land called Canada, and suddenly because someone else made these inventions you are better than someone from another country. This site reminds me of White Power sites, hahaha.

The US actually has to turn back immigrants because it's population is at 300 million. Do any of you people thinking rationally??!!

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:43 pm

hockeyguy3399 hockeyguy3399:
IWasYourCity IWasYourCity:
Hmmm, I think my original point has been lost (partly my fault.)

This is what I'm talking about: I made this post and made it clear that I wasn't putting my two cents in. I've talked to people of many many nations as a Candian American. I've never heard anyone with anything good to say about Canada. That was my point.

When you heard this, what hapened?

"Canada is attracting more Asian immigrants than the US!"
"Here's a detailed explaination of one immigrants choice of nations!"
"We're a multicultural nation, not a melting pot like silly America!"
"Oh, when I was in Europe I was treated like gold, not like the Americans who are far less welcome, according to me."

I told you the truth about what I've heard, and you act like I made a post that simply said "CANADURR SUCKS!"

This is why I included the story about the girl in the hostel. Canadians just get up in everyones face with details about what you think makes canada better than the US. Don't you see it's embarrassing?

I loved Toronto, but I get sad when I think of Canada as a whole. It's like I should be pround to say where I'm from; like the Irish, Italians, Russians, Portuguese, Central American, etc people I grew up with. But I'm not. It's like a joke. Ugh.

A JOKE!? You are a moron, there is nothing wrong with being a patriotic Canadian. Infact everyone i know is a patriotic Canadian including myself. Just do everyone a favor and don't write back on this site!

Yeah, that's just how the Germans thought in World War 2, and just how the North Koreans think. There's alot wrong with being patriotic if you ask me, because it makes people value their country over the world, and makes them value their culture over anyone elses, which creates a huge mess of conflicting views, which just looking at post on this site proves my point. I used to post ridiculous post on here because this site is ridiculous, but I had to respond to some of these stupid post in a more together manner because you people are so blind to humanity in general. What has patriotism done for the world? Are humans as a species not able to get past the tribe way of life? And you Canadians claim peace! How can anyone claim peace who is extremely patriotic. Patriotism has never done anything for anyone.

"A people is a detour of nature to get to six or seven great men.--Yes, and then to get around them."

"Madness is rare in individuals--but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule"

"Praise is more obtrusive than a reproach."

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:26 am

Canada is only growing at a .02% rate higher than the US as far as population growth is concerned.

Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:21 am

$1:
“I've always wondered what Europeans thought of the Canada vs. US issue, because I have ties to both nations.

Having lived for the past 3 years in Italy (and for a relatively short time Germany), I've been able to ask many people what they think.

Nobody cares about Canada.”

It’s not that the general population doesn’t care about Canada … it’s that Canada isn’t in the news/media as much as the USA. For some of you who may not understand this area of Europe TV programs are NOT dubbed … hence many American shows are shown un-dubbed … this gives the “guy down the street” a reaffirming & all be it “generalizing” idea his/her country is of superiorly & civilized …. With this bombardment of “reality” TV where ppl. can have a voyager look into another Culture i.e. USA … this again reaffirms the attitude that “Joe Blow” has an expert opinion about AMERIKA
Which puts me (Canadian) slotted into being American … That’s right! Europeans are just as guilty as North Americans are in geography … for Europeans “America” is a land mass … a region … a continent! as N.Americans refer to Scandinavia a region.

With that said

I have lived “relatively” a long time in Europe to have a rather interesting view & insight about how Europeans view the other side of the pond. Canada to them is just like our neighbours to the south. As my husband said “ place me any where in N.A & I would have a hard time telling you if I was in Canada or USA” Let me tell you. I’ve been confronted many a time here with Anti Americanism!(more so during anti war rallies) How would they know if I am? Cus we are raising 2 dual citizens & I speak my native English in public to them … rather difficult when “Joe” knows all about what goes on there via the TV screen. As a Canadian living here I AM an Ambassador of my country … it is solely my responsibility to reflect a positive attitude about my origins ….how I live as a productive … vital voting citizen. I wear my Maple Leaf with pride knowing that less then (150 years) I’m from an amazing young country that is evaluating as we speak … “Nobody cares about Canada” I do & that’s what really & only counts for me.

“Oh your Canadian! what great hockey you play … congratulations on winning the gold in the men’s & woman’s hockey … btw what brings you to Sweden? ” me! “swore the hockey was better here” … sigh I degress.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:16 am

Johnnyb: I'm still trying to figure out where you are really from. You've made it pretty clear in your time here that you dislike Canada immensely and feel that only Americans deserve to display any patriotism whatsoever. I've spent a fair bit of time in Thunder Bay and haven't experienced the kind of back-woods loathing that you purport to have for Canada. Whatever.

You seem to have missed the point of the thread though...it's about what Europeans think about Canada, or if they actually think of us much at all. I gave examlpes of two immigrants that I work with who came here about thirty years apart. They didn't know much about Canada when they got here, but liked it well enough to decide to spend their lives here. They both chose Canada over the US for similar reasons.

Canadians have never been big on the kind of ultra-nationalism you see so frequently south of the border. That likely has a lot to do with why we aren't easily differentiated from the US. When the chips are down though, when it really counts, people tend to recognise that Canada is different than the US and any place else on earth.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:30 am

okay, i think that some of you just don't understand the mentioned reasons why it is okay (in my oppinion!) to be a patriotic canadian. i agree that patriotism is a very dangerous thing - and i also agree that there is almost no country in the world that has really good reasons to be patriotic. but canada is absolutely an exception for me because they don't have so much blood and dirt on their boots (to keep it in images). and don't misundertand that: I (being german) am very thankful for what the US and the other allies (of course also Canada) did for us germans in WWII. I know many germans wouldn't agree but this is my firm conviction!
i also think that canadians express their patriotism in a very good way.
i was always very surprised - in a positive way - how my canadian relatives and friends handled jokes about canadiens and related stuff. they just don't take it as serious as the americans seem to take it. i think it isn't wrong to say that the canadiens just take life easier and in a more relaxed way than the americans - and perhaps any other nation - do.
so it's another kind of patriotism - it's more ... let's say 'friendly'.
when i see patriotic americans i always see guys with their hand on their heart and stone cold facial expression and many many stars and stripes.
and when i see what statements the us (at least the government) do, then it really sucks in my oppinion. they just seem to think they're the chosen nation or should i say 'god's own country'? this is simply shit.
so if anyone of you feels pissed by this thread please take notice that i don't want to annoy anybody of you personally.

nice weekend and cheers and greetings from snowy germany

ghostmaker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:47 am

I wonder if New Zealanders get bashed for pointing out that they are very different from Aussies?? I know a Kiwi that got rather upset when I told her she sounded like an Aussie. The differences to them is glaring, just as much as the differences between Canada and the US. I know I didn't think that she was being a cow or something for getting annoyed.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:20 am

$1:
Johnnyb: I'm still trying to figure out where you are really from. You've made it pretty clear in your time here that you dislike Canada immensely and feel that only Americans deserve to display any patriotism whatsoever. I've spent a fair bit of time in Thunder Bay and haven't experienced the kind of back-woods loathing that you purport to have for Canada. Whatever.

Thunder Bay eh?

You're quite the traveller. And to suggest that people who live in back-woods loath, why I never! And to compound that and suggest that these loathers inhabit Thunder Bay! My goodness!

You spend far too much time wondering and caring about where people 'are really from.' If he wants to diss Canada, let him. Water rev, water, ducks, back . . . . you know - woops! and sometimes a goose :lol:

Next time you're in T. Bay watch out for the prevailing wind, and large guys in red/black lumber jackets carrying double-edged axes named Paul and Art.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:38 am

Actually I suggested that people from Thunder Bay don't display that kind of loathing for Canada, Karra.

As for the back-woods reference...well I've spent a fair bit of time in some pretty back-woods places. There is definitely more of a feeling of loathing for the government and the rest of the country in those places. I've seen it in Canada and the US.

New Zealand is a lot like Canada in a lot of ways, Chrissy. They stand to the left of a much larger neighbour who tends to dominate, or try to dominate, them. That's led to a lot of the same attitudes as Canada has.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:20 am

I don't feel anyone should be patriotic. Patriotism is a disease which seperates humanity and creates divisions. The thing I was trying to point out is that you Canadians are just as bad as Americans. I hate both equally though. I've given it alot of thought, and patriotism has really done no good. Every war has been between different countries, and we have different countries because people are patriotic towards their culture and country.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:37 pm

Your a real jerk, If patriotism didn't exist, we would still be stuck in medieval times. Patriotism is what started the industrial age and patriotism is why we have this magnificent country. There is nothing wrong with having a Canadian flag waving from your house.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:46 pm

Ok, let's review: my first post said that I was not being critical of Canada. I've reported what I've heard many times when in Europe.

Now you're talking about things that have nothing to do with it, and somehow I've become the jerk.

And for the third time, I can point out why I included in my story that girl in the hostel. Don't shove a bunch of crap in someone's face when they try to talk to you about Canada. It's immature and annoying.

Not everyone, but some.

I really do believe the reason that you feel superwelcome when you go overseas is that many beg to be known as Canadians, and there is obligitory 'that's fantastic!' from the people you are meeting. It's kind of like when a six year old draws a really awful picture and you absolutely have to compliment them or their feelings will be hurt.

I was a little angry with the reaction I got to my first post when I wrote my second. I'm not embarrased of Canada, but it's difficult when people act like that.

I do want to discuss this, I'll be posting on this later, don't forget I'm at least 6 hours ahead of you in time.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:07 pm

hockeyguy3399 hockeyguy3399:
Your a real jerk, If patriotism didn't exist, we would still be stuck in medieval times. Patriotism is what started the industrial age and patriotism is why we have this magnificent country. There is nothing wrong with having a Canadian flag waving from your house.

How the hell is patriotism the cause of the industrial age? You give no facts to support you assumptions. With the industrial age came new military weapons, which because of different countries patriotism there was a world war in which the new inventions killed massive numbers of people. I really don't see how patriotism brought about the industrial age, humanity brought it about. What does patriotism have to do at all with different ages? All patriotism does is brainwash a mass of people to love their land and value their country and people over any other people. I've never read anywhere that patriotism started the industrial age, haha, where did you get this information from? The industrial age started because of previous inventions and because people evolved.

If you ask me, any invention comes from mistakes and from mans need to discover, not from patriotism. A man makes tons of mistakes til he comes to a truth. Patriotism is an idea which keeps people in tribes and seperate from other people, and makes people judge other cultures and races as inferior to there own, or as different, and just basically splits humanity up. Maybe if we didn't have so much patriotism and seperation of humanity we could get more things done. Patriotism has caused people to keep information from other nations and it limits the information which goes around the world, because everyone wants to do something for their nation so they can claim how great it is. If there was no patriotism, then information could maybe get around and since everyone thinks different and can bring different ideas to a matter, maybe we would be alot further and have new inventions and ideas about things.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 21  Next