Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:15 am

http://www.geocities.com/are_americans_stupid/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:50 pm

first of all, in case you didn't know, that picture is a fake. i thought that picture was funny about six months ago, before everyone realized it was fake, because the same shot was shown in news releases with the book right side up. second of all, americans are not stupid. i really do not understand canadian hatred of the united states....jealousy?

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:02 pm

Not jealousy. If its anything, its not jealousy. Its probably annoyance. And most Canadians do not not hate the U.S. They may dislike the politicians or certain forms of media for bending the truth, but they do not hate the American public. Personally, I can say I do not hate Americans. I hate bigots and jackasses., and some Americans fall under that. Don't get me wrong, some Canadians fall under that as well. However the Canadian bigots and jackasses don't normally insult the country I love. If you have a gripe, look at the source, look at the facts, then tell me what you think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:02 pm

markc wrote:
first of all, in case you didn't know, that picture is a fake. i thought that picture was funny about six months ago, before everyone realized it was fake, because the same shot was shown in news releases with the book right side up. second of all, americans are not stupid. i really do not understand canadian hatred of the united states....jealousy?

Nope not jealousy, we have everything you have minus the big military. And we don't hate you. I mean, I have a lot of friends in the states not to mention relatives.

What I don't understand is why American's believe they are always right, and feel the need to tell every other country how to run their business (including us). We are our own country. Yes we do share a border, and we are major trading partners, but ever since Bush got into office he is trying to boss everyone around (everything from missles in the arctic, to border security, to our army, to lumber etc. etc.).

Most Canadian's know what is going on in the states, and that is something that 90% of american's can't say about Canada. There are a lot of ignorance to what Canada is all about, and what we are like (trust me, it is true).

We don't hate you, we aren't jealous (actually we are recovering from the recession faster then you, but that is neither here nor there), we are just tired of a lot of the mis-judgements made about us.

Later

edit - and no I do not agree with a lot that article. However I do think Bush is a moron :wink:

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:07 pm

Well said, Malice. :) :) :) :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:15 pm

your points are well taken. i will concede that most americans (myself included) are uneducated in canadian affairs (but the general voting public here is unaware of most everything... just a personal feeling). however, i think your ideas of bush 'pushing everyone around' are blown out of proportion. this is an agressive administration. i will not defend his concerns over candian military affairs (missles) but i feel that american concern over the border is well-founded. i fear that without a stringent border policy, there is a chance for another terrorist attack.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:57 pm

Actually the missles thing was he wanted to plan U.S. missles in the Canadian arctic, that we didn't see the need for.

I am not sure of the actual status of this now, but still.

But Bush is really throwing his weight around, and it puts a lot of focus on you. It also pisses a lot of people off, as they don't want to put up with his crap.

But, I find most U.S. citizens to be very cool and nice people. You do get idiots, but its not like we are immune to them.

I just think a better understanding of our system and how Canadian's as a people would be a great step towards a better relationship between the 2 countries. If we are forced (and yes forced. In school, not to mention media) to learn american history, I think you guys should learn a bit about us.

Later man.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:44 pm

markc wrote:
your points are well taken. i will concede that most americans (myself included) are uneducated in canadian affairs (but the general voting public here is unaware of most everything... just a personal feeling). however, i think your ideas of bush 'pushing everyone around' are blown out of proportion. this is an agressive administration. i will not defend his concerns over candian military affairs (missles) but i feel that american concern over the border is well-founded. i fear that without a stringent border policy, there is a chance for another terrorist attack.

Firstly, Canadians are very knowledgeable abouit the U.S., more so than many Americans. Case in point, the results of the recent National Geographic survey which showed more Canadians knew what the population of the U.S. was and where the Taliban was located, then Americans.

Secondly, the previous attacks did not come from terrorists entering from Canada. Americans should probably be more concerned with those who are already residing in the U.S. and who got there, not through Canada, but through other means.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:28 am

I believe as a whole we are stupid. only 1 of 7 highschool aged students in the US knew where Iraq was on a map, how pathetic is that? We're about to goto war (against a lot of our citizen's will) and 1 of 7 highschoolers don't even know where the bombs will be dropping...call me crazy, but I think the government wants it that way. or maybe I'm just too cynical towards the US government.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:57 pm

Check out the second comment
http://www.canadaka.net/cka/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=160&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:34 pm

I love that picture, i think I remember the quote he maid then.
"The great thing about books, is they have lots of great pictures"

"There ought to be limits to freedom." -- George W. Bush, complaining about a website (www.gwbush.com) critical of him, at an Austin Press Conference, May 21, 1999, quoted from www.gwbush.com and the Democratic Alliance.

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." - GW Bush.

"More and more of our imports come from overseas." G.W. Bush

"Nigeria is an important continent." - GW Bush

"Do you have blacks, too?" -- George W. Bush, meeting with Brazilian President Fernando Henrique Cardoso; allegedly, in this incident, reportedly witnessed only by members of the White House Press Corps, Condoleezza Rice was present and jumped in to save Cardoso from having to answer, informing Bush that in fact Brazil is home to more blacks than any country outside Africa (unverified: November 2, 2001?)

"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." -- George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000

"There's an old saying in Tennessee�I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee�that says, fool me once, shame on�shame on you. Fool me�you can't get fooled again."�Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002 "It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity, and incumbency." - George W. Bush, June 14, 2001, speaking to Swedish Prime Minister Goran Perrson, unaware that a live television camera was still rolling.

"As young Americans, you have an important responsibility, which is to become good citizens." -- George W. Bush, in a June, 2001, letter to British students at Oakhill College in Lancashire, England: had they been Americans, wouldn't they already be citizens? Quoted from Randy Cassingham, "This is True" (24 June 2001).

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say, well done. And to the C students, I say to you: you, too, can be president of the United States." - George W. Bush, receiving an honorary degree at Yale, quoted from Newsweek, June, 4, 2001

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" - George W. Bush, Florence, South Carolina, January 11, 2000, quoted from Michael Klein via Humour-Nette

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test." - George W. Bush, Townsend, Tennessee, February 21, 2001, quoted from Jacob Weinberg, "The Complete Bushisms"

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." -- George W. Bush, half-joking about his transition in Washington, D.C., December 18, 2000, quoted from CNN, "Bush to meet with Clinton as Cabinet building continues"

"A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it." Source: BusinessWeek Online, July 27, 2001

"I think we ought to raise the age at which juveniles can have a gun." - George W. Bush, St. Louis, Missouri, October 18, 2000, quoted from Jacob Weinberg, "The Complete Bushisms"

"Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness." - George W. Bush, CNN online chat, August 30, 2000, quoted from Jacob Weinberg, "The Complete Bushisms"

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." - George W. Bush, Greater Nashua, New Hampshire, Chamber of Commerce, January 27, 2000, quoted from Michael Klein via Humour-Nette

"This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while." - George W. Bush, using a loaded term which recalls the Christians' Medieval wars against Muslims in the so-called Holy Land, after stepping off the presidential helicopter on Sunday, September 16, 2001, quoted from Jonathan Lyons, "Bush enters Mideast's rhetorical minefield " (Reuters: September 21, 2001). Bush later apologized for this remark.

"Take the life issue. This issue requires a president and an administration leading our nation to understand the importance of life. This whole faith-based initiative really ties into a larger cultural issue that we're working on. It begins to affect the life issue, as well as the human dignity issue, because when you're talking about welcoming people of faith to help people who are disadvantaged and are unable to defend themselves, the logical step is also those babies." - George W. Bush, unaware that a press microphone was on, telling Roman Catholic "faith-based" subsidy supporters that they are "vital allies" because they won't "be eroded by political correctness or whatever," and assuring them that his scheme to give tax money to religious groups will help them promote opposition to legal abortion, at the White House on January 31, 2001, quoted from Margaret Sykes, "Bush Caught on Tape -- Again: Says he'll use tax dollars to help religious groups oppose abortion," About Pro-Choice Views, February 1, 2001

"I've heard the call. I believe God wants me to run for president." -- George W. Bush, quoted from Aaron Latham, "How George W. Found God," George Magazine, September, 2000

"There's Adam Clymer, major league asshole from The New York Times." - George W. Bush, to running mate Dick Cheney, who replied, "Oh, yeah, big time," at a campaign rally in Naperville, Illinios: both were unaware that the podium microphone was on, quoted from CNN, "Bush uses expletive to describe Times reporter," September 4, 2000. Karen Hughes, the communications director for the Bush campaign said, "It was meant to be a whispered aside to his running mate. It was not intended to be a public comment." Duh!

"I've coined new words, like, misunderstanding and Hispanically." - George W. Bush, plugging (and unwittingly providing material for the second edition of) Weinberg's book, The Complete Bushisms, at the Radio-Television Correspondents Association dinner, Washington, D.C., March 29, 2001. Bush probably meant to say "misunderestimating," a word that he has used in public speech. Quoted from Jacob Weinberg, "The Complete Bushisms."

"We must have the attitude that every child in America -- regardless of where they're raised or how they're born -- can learn." - George W. Bush, New Britain, Connecticut, April 18, 2001, quoted from Jacob Weinberg, "The Complete Bushisms"

Last edited by Canadaka on Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:49 pm

Ya, Bush has said his share of stupid things. OTOH, so has Cretien.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:31 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thos damn American Crossfire guys on CNN really pissed me off, they had a rebuttal dialogue about the acceptance of resignation of the Pm's media coordinator. At the end of it he had the nerve to say in a sarcastic manor "What a government, what a country"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:28 pm

I couldn't agree more :!: We certinaly are not jelous of the Americans in any way shape of form. We have free health care we are much more "free" (although thats one of the things they brag about the most) and we are 4 times less likely to be murdered. Sounds good to me. The only thing we could even be close to jelous over is your military, and we don't need it anyway, they like to say they are protecting us...from what? You see we don't need protection because we havn't been assholes and we havn't tried to piss every other country off like America has! All in all Americans arent stupid they are just arrogant asses sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:06 pm

from reading all of the above quotes and some of the other forums i have come to realize a few distinct points
1. in general americans seem to be under educated
2. they don't seem to mind being undereducated
3. their leaders also seem to want to keep the voting public undereducated
thus reenfircing their own importance
4. most politicians are freaking idiots as well