bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Caelon Caelon:
I seem to run across the stupid bicyle riders in my travels. If you recognize anyone in the list of peeves below please encourage them to change their behavior.

1. When riding in a group on a highway stay on the shoulder in single file formation. Do not ride side by side and do not drift over the white line. NEVER RIDE THREE ABREAST.

2. On rural paved roads with no shoulder you must have a suicicde wish to ride on it. Yes you have a right to the road and so do the other vehicles. So when two farm trucks hauling large round bales meet at the blind curve with no place to go to avoid you, you will be hit and possibly killed. Not to mention the other vehicles travelling at 100 kph to your 15 kph that cannot avoid you on that same blind curve.

3. For the stupid women who road in the traffic lane on a highway while her partner stayed on the shoulder. YOU ARE A TWIT. And your partner is only slightly brighter as though he was on the shoulder he did not correct your stupidity.

4. Walk your bicycle through a cross walk do not ride it. If you want to ride it stay in the traffic lanes.

5. Do not ride your bike on pedestrian overpasses. You are risking injury to the pedestrians.

6. Do not ride the wrong way down a one way street. You are a vehicle and are breaking the law.

For the idiots who think it is their right to ride how and wherever they want and not a priviledge that is being abused with several laws broken on a regular basis; there will be a time when your actions will lead to serious injury or death. It will not be a comfort for your loved ones to stand over your grave and say "He was exercising his right to the road".

If you are a biker that obeys the rules of the road and rides with common sense for your safety and others then I tip my hat to you.

The thing that really pisses me off is when you pass a bike rider on a main roadway and then hit a red light 100 meters past the bike rider and then the goof rides past you to the front of the line up only for you to try to pass him again.....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:01 am

andyt andyt:
Nothing you guys have said convinces me that it's a good idea to mix bikes and peds. In Vancouver at least the peds walk all over the place without looking. We also have bell laws, and I have bells on my bikes. I never use them because they are so ineffective. I find a loud, sharp "on your left" works better, tho the peds are confused as to which left and if they should go left or me. I avoid bike paths unless absolutely necessary, would never plan a long ride using one (nor do we have any that are long enough anyway). And it's not a good idea to mix people going 30kph with ones going 5kph.

Cars just need to deal with the fact that bikes are vehicles same as them. And in fact in many areas they have. I can always tell when we've gone into the burbs far enough that all of a sudden the SUV and pickup drivers get more aggressive, don't seem used to bikes. It's always a relief to do a ride in the states. For some reason, even in the countryside, Washington state drivers are far more courteous and considerate to cyclists. Maybe their sue me culture does have some benefits.

It looks like you have a nice network of those ped/cycle paths. I'm sure they work well for put along riders, but not for commuters or people who want a workout when they ride and actually get somewhere.

As I said, they're eight feet wide - how much room do you need?

Frankly, your low opinion of peds seems to be similar to you low opinion of drivers. Sounds like the common denominator here is you - not everyone else...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:43 am

Caelon Caelon:
andyt andyt:
And it's not a good idea to mix people going 30kph with ones going 5kph.

The hazard you notice between bikes at 30 kph and pedestrians at 5 kph is even greater on a highway when you have cars going 100+kph and bicycles are going less than 10 kph on a hill. Even if the bike is going 30 kph there is stil a 70+ kph difference in the speeds.

It makes it more important for bicycles to stay to the right edge of a shoulder and avoid roads without shoulders for their own safety. As you note mixing modes of travel with vastly different speeds creates a hazard for both.

This is why, despite what keeps being jammed down our throats is that bicycles and cars should NOT share the road.

A bicycle is a pleasure activity for the vast majority of people and those that opt to ride to work or use the bicycle as a daily vehicle should be restricted to bike only trails.

Especially in Toronto with old and narrow roads, cycling should be eliminated from these streets.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
andyt andyt:
Nothing you guys have said convinces me that it's a good idea to mix bikes and peds. In Vancouver at least the peds walk all over the place without looking. We also have bell laws, and I have bells on my bikes. I never use them because they are so ineffective. I find a loud, sharp "on your left" works better, tho the peds are confused as to which left and if they should go left or me. I avoid bike paths unless absolutely necessary, would never plan a long ride using one (nor do we have any that are long enough anyway). And it's not a good idea to mix people going 30kph with ones going 5kph.

Cars just need to deal with the fact that bikes are vehicles same as them. And in fact in many areas they have. I can always tell when we've gone into the burbs far enough that all of a sudden the SUV and pickup drivers get more aggressive, don't seem used to bikes. It's always a relief to do a ride in the states. For some reason, even in the countryside, Washington state drivers are far more courteous and considerate to cyclists. Maybe their sue me culture does have some benefits.

It looks like you have a nice network of those ped/cycle paths. I'm sure they work well for put along riders, but not for commuters or people who want a workout when they ride and actually get somewhere.

Frankly, your low opinion of peds seems to be similar to you low opinion of drivers. Sounds like the common denominator here is you - not everyone else...

WE also have some wide shared paths. And peds spread out all over them, strollers, dogs on leashes that with owner on one side of the path and the dog on the other, etc. Maybe it's because Vancouverites actually walk, so the paths are just never clear for cyclists. The was the paths are laid out don't make for getting up a head of steam and actually riding at speed. And of course they have a speed limit. As i say, they're fine for the three pedal strokes a minute crowd, but not for cyclists who are trying to get from A to B in good time or just want to actually work up a sweat.

Our city leaders also pat themselves on the back every time they put in one of these paths: "see, we're addressing the cycling needs". Well it might bet more slow riders to get out on their bikes, which is all good, but it doesn't help the serious cyclists. The thing that would work for us, if you want paths, are ones for bikes only, that parallel main roads. They have some of those, but because they run alongside parked cars, there's still the door problem, and big trucks that jut out into the path. Take a look at that NYC video that was posted here a while back.

I do have a low opinion of peds. Like everybody, I'm one of them. Unlike most of them I try to follow the same rules as when driving - ie keep right and look where you're going. Just trying to walk on crowded sidewalks is bad enough, with oblivious people going in all directions.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:53 am

Bike paths are NOT for serious cycling... too many things going on there and you are a danger for yourself and others if you try to go too fast. Serious cycling means going out on country roads, where you risk getting side-swiped every time a car passes you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:00 am

raydan raydan:
Bike paths are NOT for serious cycling... too many things going on there and you are a danger for yourself and others if you try to go too fast. Serious cycling means going out on country roads, where you risk getting side-swiped every time a car passes you.

Agree with the first part. But the second isn't quite that bad - there are lots of roads with shoulders or that are just very quiet. But yes, drivers need to get out of that psychotic road state where they don't really worry about whether they hit a cyclist because they are so removed from it in their cocoon of steel and glass. When they hit somebody, most at least have the decency to feel bad, but by then it's too late. It's the same thing that leads to road raging - people feel tough in their vehicles and removed from reality.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:33 am

andyt andyt:
bootlegga bootlegga:

WE also have some wide shared paths. And peds spread out all over them, strollers, dogs on leashes that with owner on one side of the path and the dog on the other, etc. Maybe it's because Vancouverites actually walk, so the paths are just never clear for cyclists. The was the paths are laid out don't make for getting up a head of steam and actually riding at speed. And of course they have a speed limit. As i say, they're fine for the three pedal strokes a minute crowd, but not for cyclists who are trying to get from A to B in good time or just want to actually work up a sweat.

Our city leaders also pat themselves on the back every time they put in one of these paths: "see, we're addressing the cycling needs". Well it might bet more slow riders to get out on their bikes, which is all good, but it doesn't help the serious cyclists. The thing that would work for us, if you want paths, are ones for bikes only, that parallel main roads. They have some of those, but because they run alongside parked cars, there's still the door problem, and big trucks that jut out into the path. Take a look at that NYC video that was posted here a while back.

I do have a low opinion of peds. Like everybody, I'm one of them. Unlike most of them I try to follow the same rules as when driving - ie keep right and look where you're going. Just trying to walk on crowded sidewalks is bad enough, with oblivious people going in all directions.

Sorry, but if you can't bike on this;

0:
2011 Pics 309a.jpg
2011 Pics 309a.jpg [ 832.9 KiB | Viewed 224 times ]

then the problem is YOU, not peds.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:38 am

Like I say, our paths actually have people on them. Guess it's different in Edmonton. And I certainly wouldn't try to do 100km on that sort of surface. It's fine for spin a couple pedals strokes then coast sort of rider, but not for a road rider. IF they paved it with asphalt and made it bikes only, that would be great.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:46 am

This morning on my way to work, I came to a red light and stopped. A cyclist rode past me and right through the red light.....why would someone endanger themselves like that, if they get hit and killed the motorist is going to get sued and probably lose his license or evengo to jail. I agree that cars and bikes should share the road, and I have no problem slowing down until it is safe to pass but why do cyclists take so many unneccesary risks????

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:48 am

andyt andyt:
Like I say, our paths actually have people on them. Guess it's different in Edmonton. And I certainly wouldn't try to do 100km on that sort of surface. It's fine for spin a couple pedals strokes then coast sort of rider, but not for a road rider. IF they paved it with asphalt and made it bikes only, that would be great.

These are the bike paths they built in the suburbs in the 80s/90s. I've used them to do 50+ km/day and the texture never bothered me one bit - and I'm not a "couple pedal strokes and then coast rider", I'm a guy who regularly does 30-35kmh in my easy pace, much more when I push it.

I guess it's all what you're used to.

And as Peck420 noted, the newer bike paths they are making these days are just as wide, paved with asphalt, and have a yellow dividing line on them - which peds here are smart enough to obey.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:50 am

stokes stokes:
This morning on my way to work, I came to a red light and stopped. A cyclist rode past me and right through the red light.....why would someone endanger themselves like that, if they get hit and killed the motorist is going to get sued and probably lose his license or evengo to jail. I agree that cars and bikes should share the road, and I have no problem slowing down until it is safe to pass but why do cyclists take so many unneccesary risks????

My guess would be some crazy belief in personal invincibility - at least amongst the younger riders.

I work near the university here and I see bikers blowing through stop signs, going the wrong way down one way roads, etc everyday. And Lord forbid you should ever say something, because then they freak out.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:56 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

And as Peck420 noted, the newer bike paths they are making these days are just as wide, paved with asphalt, and have a yellow dividing line on them - which peds here are smart enough to obey.

Those sound great. I use paths when they are present and in good shape. I have no strange desire to ride right next to cars. But many paths that we have are either crowded with people, in incredibly poor shape or don't go where I want to go. So then I ride on the road - ie most of the time. Pretty rare that I'll ride where there's no shoulder tho. But when you're touring say, often there's only one road that takes you where you want to go. The Pacific Highway in Oz for instance, or the highway into the Blue Mountains. And while it's been improved, there are still places where there is no shoulder and you just have to deal with it. The Aussies' driving has improved a bit with this regard since they had some high profile lawsuits with drivers hitting bikes. Bikes are allowed on that highway, and drivers need to pass them in a safe manner or wait until they can.

Last edited by andyt on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:19 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

A bicycle is a pleasure activity for the vast majority of people and those that opt to ride to work or use the bicycle as a daily vehicle should be restricted to bike only trails.

Especially in Toronto with old and narrow roads, cycling should be eliminated from these streets.

Perhaps you should have your car banned from the road, then you could ride transit and bikes would rule the road.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:45 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

This is why, despite what keeps being jammed down our throats is that bicycles and cars should NOT share the road.
I agree. The difference in speed is WAY too big. (large? great? :?)
$1:

I agree again, and "we" should make sure there are enough, especially in the city. Rural roads (I really mean the boof*ckingmiddleofnowhere) are less important here.
$1:

Or you could ban cars there.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:24 pm

Well, here's my two cents.....

Speaking as both a motorist and a cyclist (one that does follow the rules of the road to the letter), I have noticed that the main problem are motorists. Yes, there are a lot of idiot cyclists that don't follow any rules and make the rest of us lok bad, but too many motorists are in too big a hurry and don't give proper space to cyclists.

I was clipped by a car last month, while riding in a diamond lane, taking my 1-metre out from the curb as outlined by the law. The woman was by herself, speeding down a lane she shouldn't have been in, and then started yelling at me when we both pulled into a parking lot to assess everything.

As motorist, I do sometimes believe that the road is all mine, BUT I ALWAYS give cyclists ample space when passing, because I know how it is, being one myself. There needs to be more policing on the idiot cyclists, as well as the motorists that are giving cyclists the proverbial finger.

So, with that all said, I think it's time for the police to step it up, and more both motorists and cyclists be more diligent in following the rules of the road.

-J.