Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:50 pm

Folks, I realize that some people are allergic to peanuts but c'mon, this has gotten completely out of hand. My son used to sell chocolate covered almonds as a fundraiser for school but no...Ooops almonds are nuts so we can't sell them.

One school around here recommends that if your child is having peanut butter for breakfast they eat it in their pj's so the smell doesn't get in their clothes.

Now we have peanut free MARS bars..What's next..peanut free peanuts!

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:58 pm

What I don't understand is where all the people who have a bad reaction to peanuts came from. When I was in elementry school I had peanut products all the time and there was no problem. And I am only 20 years old!

Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:05 pm

Well lets face it, it's the majority that can die from something that seem to rule the country. Peanut free peanuts are just around the corner, I guarantee it. Then it will be the milk people. Well you cant sell chocolate any more period because of laxtose intolerance.

New school fundraiser: Sell dairy free, penut free snickers bars, should sell like hot cakes. Oh wait a minute, hot cakes, crap...... someones gonna say something about syrup now.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:32 pm

Well here's what happened this spring to the Edmonton Eskimos. 1 mother phoned them and ask them to ban peanuts from the stadium, so she could take her son to a few games. And you guessed it. they stopped selling peanuts and invoked a total ban of peanuts.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:55 pm

lily lily:
No-one is going to die because they're lactose intolerant and someone else is drinking milk. If you're going to throw out an example, try to make it relevant.

Remember the case of the girl who died when her boyfriend kissed her after earlier eating peanut butter?

My kids are in peanut-free/fish-free classrooms. Not the entire school - they just both happen to have the allergic kids in their classes. One girl would have a severe anaphylactic shock if she touched something that someone had touched after eating fish. She's been to emergency more than once after eating contaminated food.

These allergies are serious. Sure, it's annoying and inconvenient to have to think up something different from the usual PBJ, but for some kids, it's literally life and death.

Our preschool is completely nut free (apart from me of course). This stuff is serious.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:10 am

Anaphylactic shock is nothing to fool around with. It can be triggered by peanuts or other buts, depending on the allergy itself. Anaphylactic shock is not limited to peanuts. Problem is, lots of other nuts have traces of peanut oil in them..not sure if it's because they roast them in it or not, or if it's just a CYA affair.

However.. small children (elementary level) cannot be and should not be responsible for safely maintaining a peanut free area, so the adults around them have to be. It's a matter of life and death.

If YOUR child could die from the smell of peanuts or peanut oil, would you not want some cooperation?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:13 am

dgthe3 dgthe3:
What I don't understand is where all the people who have a bad reaction to peanuts came from. When I was in elementry school I had peanut products all the time and there was no problem. And I am only 20 years old!

It's a strange thing. Peanut allergies, like allergies to antibiotics, are something that only comes from exposure to them. One half of one percent of the population have the genes for the allergy, but it takes environmental factors to make it kick in. If no kids ate peanuts before they were 6, we probably wouldn't be having these problems. It's something that people outgrow, and some of those with peanut allergies can, later on, eat peanuts regularly and never be bothered by the allergy again.

Anyway, to answer your question, that's where they came from. Too many 3 year olds living on PB&J sandwiches.

And, yes, they can die of suffocation if exposed to peanuts, so I can't really get upset about it. Not eating peanuts is a pretty minor inconvenience compared to strangling to death.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:42 am

Experts do not know what causes an allergic response (other than histamines). It is actually an autoimmune response.
Children with peanut allergies are quite often allergic to other things as well.. like pollen and onions and pets.
One cannot safely say that if one wasn't exposed to antibiotics until after a certain age they would not have an allergy to them. hogwash. Nor can the same be said for peanuts.
And exposure to many other allergens can actually increase a person's chance of having an allergic reation to something else.. (the allergist explained it to me as a cup half full scenario... if the cups almost empty.. the chances of having a reaction are less than is the cup's half full.. because then the body's chances of coping are diminsihed due to already present irritations)

In short.. a child with a peanut allergy can go into full blown anaphylactic shock the third or fourth time they are exposed to peanuts.

Failure of other parents in a school to recognize or regard this is the purest form of idiocy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:46 am

PJB PJB:
Now we have peanut free MARS bars..What's next..peanut free peanuts!
[cry] It'll be a struggle, but I think you and your son will survive.

Dolt.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:26 am

My school doesn't do anything about it :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:33 am

VicVega VicVega:
Well lets face it, it's the majority that can die from something that seem to rule the country. Peanut free peanuts are just around the corner, I guarantee it. Then it will be the milk people. Well you cant sell chocolate any more period because of laxtose intolerance.

New school fundraiser: Sell dairy free, penut free snickers bars, should sell like hot cakes. Oh wait a minute, hot cakes, crap...... someones gonna say something about syrup now.

Big difference between lactose intolerance and allergies to peanuts.

If your lactose intolerant and drink milk you'll probably get the shits real fast accompanied by enough gas to run the car around for a week.But it wont kill you like a peanut allergy can.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:35 am

Tricks Tricks:
and they shouldn't if nobody is allergic to peanuts.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:24 am

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
Tricks Tricks:
and they shouldn't if nobody is allergic to peanuts.
At my old public school, there was at least 2000 students. There was definately people allergic. Nothing was done to my knowledge.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:11 am

I find the whole subject to just reek of nannyism and hypocrisy. That a very few people are affected by this problem is not justification for society as a whole to have to change their eating habits.

In the USA we have historic buildings that are being eviscerated or demolished in the name of handicap access. I'm wondering when we'll destroy the US Capitol becuase the Rotunda does not have an elevator up to the dome. :roll:

With the peanut allergy it is the responsibility of the parents to keep their child safe. Period.

It is not my problem any more than if a child afflicted with diabetes accidentally ingests a small amount of sugar at a sporting event and goes into insulin shock. Do we also ban starches and sugars from public places because a very few kids will die if they come into contact with those chemical compounds?

Puh-leeze.

If your kid is so sensitive to peanuts then keep the kid home.

Just the same as parents of children who are acutely sensitive to sunlight keep their kids at home during the day instead of demanding that <b>sunlight</b> be banned from public places. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:22 am

There is money to made here some where...moblie bubble suits perhaps?