Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:08 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Scape Scape:
George Carlin would wipe his ass with the material Bill uses. The argument is not that he is left or right it is poor vs rich and he is an elitist hands down.

Probably apples and oranges. George Carlin was never a one-liner kind of guy like Bill Maher. Bill Burr would be closer to how George Carlin was.

Concur. Bill isn't a simpleton that tries to dumb down everything to absolutes. He was at his peak when Hitchens was on his show and there was room for nuance, now he's just a crank. Sad really as he became the very thing he rallied against, a banner holder for the establishment that rarely if ever question the orthodoxies that put him in the pulpit to begin with. He has more in common with Ellen DeGeneres now than Salman Rushdie.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:22 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Yet George Carlin was a guest on Maher's shows multiple times, they typically agreed on most of the things they were discussing, and appeared to be good friends with each other. And Bill Burr and Maher also get along pretty good. Burr's only dislike of Maher is that Burr disputes Maher's belief that most Americans are stupid. Maher can't understand that other people not being totally interested in the exact same identical things he obsesses over doesn't make them morons - all it means is that a huge swath of the population doesn't waste their lives on politics or social/cultural foolishness. And Burr called him out on it. Doesn't make them enemies, it just means they disagree on something.

But back to the purpose of this thread. It's amazing to watch at how much the genuine leftists will spin things in a certain direction in order to achieve the pre-determined conclusions they want. Fuckin' dirtiest fighters in the game and, just like the Trumpers, they have absolutely no depth to which they won't sink with their cesspool-dweller tactics. "JK Rowling at it again"..... :lol:

The Bill Maher who had George Carlin on his show back in the day has changed a lot since then. Maher has joined Chappelle in a way, with they way they've started punching down on certain groups. And George had this to say about Andrew Dice Clay back in the day:

$1:
“I would defend to the death his right to do everything he does, the thing that I find unusual, and it’s, you know, not a criticism so much, but his targets are underdogs. And comedy traditionally has picked on people in power, people who abuse their power. Women and gays and immigrants are kind of, to my way of thinking, underdogs. And, you know, he ought to be careful, because he’s Jewish. And a lot of people who want to pick on these kind of groups, the Jews are on that list. A little further you’ve got women, gays, gypsies and boom, boom, boom, and suddenly you find the Jews."

King asked why Dice Clay was able to “get away” with these offensive jokes that target marginalized communities, to which Carlin replied:

“I think his core audience are young, white males who are threatened by these groups. I think a lot of these guys aren’t sure of their manhood, because that’s a problem when you’re going through adolescence. You know, ‘Am I really, could I be, I hope I’m not one of them.’ And the women who assert themselves and are competent are a threat to these men, and so are immigrants in terms of jobs.”

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:58 pm

There's more than one type of comedy. And preferring one over the other doesn't render the listener as either a saint or a demon. Why is it that the leftist perspective always comes with the implicit accusation that a person's decency can now only be determined by the amount of yes or no they get checked off next to an ever-increasing number of boxes on an official list of woke criteria?

Anyone else even remember anymore when it was the liberals who were the rebels instead of the humourless puritan authoritarians that they now are today? My memory is getting foggy with age and I'm having a hard time recalling those days when most liberals regarded being some sort of hectoring scold as anathema to their entire existence. At this stage of the disintegration these people would string up someone like Norman Lear from a streetlamp for crossing too many lines.

As for Dice, well, whatever. The vast majority of the comedians, the ones more interested in making people laugh than in shoving their own hipster politics down their fans throats, still seem to absolutely love him as a colleague. Long may he reign!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:32 pm

IT's not even a political thing. It's fundamentalists. From the Taliban to vegans, to bible thumpers, to Swifites, and every other point in between. Some people are so wrapped up in their thing they lose the ability to have a sense of humour.

To quote Rabbi Krustosfsky: "Life is not fun! Life is serious!"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:16 am

There's definitely an "OK Boomer" aspect to Bill Maher. But, I guess in his defence, he is a Boomer.

Purely anecdotal here, but I remember a time when I couldn't name a conservative comedian that was any good. remember posting exactly that on this very site, back in its heyday. Now, I can't help but notice all the comedians who have simply said fuck you to this left-wing Puritanism they call "woke." John Cleese, Ricky Gervais, Bill Burr, Bill Maher, Dave Chapelle, yadda yadda yadda. Now I can't think of a single funny woke comedian.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:25 pm

Jason Aldean? Steven Crowder?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:46 pm

This is comedy gold:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:56 pm

Scape Scape:
Jason Aldean? Steven Crowder?

How about your hero Clown Kaepernick?

Of course your side would probably want to shower everything from an Oscar to a Tony on Kaepernick for that.....whatever the hell it was he produced with the money the guilty white liberals at Netflix showered him with. Personally I think it's the unintentionally funniest thing I saw since the last time I blundered across a Scientology video, but whatever. Comedy remains in the eye of the beholder.

"Colin, do you even know what slavery was?". No. No, he certainly doesn't. ROTFL

Last edited by Thanos on Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:04 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Now I can't think of a single funny woke comedian.

I figured that out when I came across a Margaret Cho show back in the early 00's. It was like a reverse-KKK rally aimed at trying to get heterosexuals killed.

Another funny one is the lionization of Richard Pryor after his death, re-inventing him as some sort of hero of wokeism due to the social commentary subtext in his work. Of course they ignored the part altogether that Pryor was subject to constant protests from gay groups because of the anti-homosexual jokes he kept doing in the 1970's and 80's. And anyone who listened to Pryor back then can tell you his jokes about gays would obliterate both the Diceman and Chappelle in terms of both intensity & raw vulgarity.

The bouncing ball of their historical ignorance is fascinating to watch. It's as much fun watching this sheer stupidity, that's cloaked itself in the armour of absolutist certainty & impenetrable self-righteousness, as it watching a suicidal squirrel on PCP hammer itself around the trees & fences in the backyard. :lol:

Last edited by Thanos on Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:29 pm

You know, I was thinking that comedy needs a little controversy, it needs that tension, it needs to be able to draw upon the full palette of human experience. Even Rowan Atkinson, the guy who played Mr Bean, possibly the most uncontroversial show in the history of the universe, and even he's saying cancel culture is ruining comedy.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:06 pm

The greatest purveyors of this tripe are the ones bleating about it the most. Trump is a golden calf of woke.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:07 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
You know, I was thinking that comedy needs a little controversy, it needs that tension, it needs to be able to draw upon the full palette of human experience. Even Rowan Atkinson, the guy who played Mr Bean, possibly the most uncontroversial show in the history of the universe, and even he's saying cancel culture is ruining comedy.

There's no point to comedy without an edge. If it's empty of all transgression then it has no worth. Even Jerry Seinfeld knows that, like when he tosses out a cancer joke once in a while just to get people to groan. You know what edgeless comedy is, and why it shouldn't be encouraged? Think of Jay Leno, everywhere, all the time, with no alternative to his material available at all. Nothing but jokes about how bad the apples are that 711 sells, nothing but wisecracks about expired milk. That's how genuinely bad it would be. :lol:

I mentioned Norman Lear earlier. He'd have no chance in hell of putting something like All In The Family on TV today. Maybe on HBO, or some other stream, but definitely not on mainstream TV. And the same too with Seinfeld now. I can think that at least half the Seinfeld episodes wouldn't be approved for broadcast today. Just too "dangerous, non-inclusive, & mean" by the empty & farcical standards that have been imposed by cowardly television executives over the last fifteen years. Shit, if Chuck Lorre went into CBS today with a pilot for something like Two & A Half Men (or even The Big Bang Theory) they'd probably send up a couple of thugs to drag him out of the waiting room and then toss him down the stairwell. It's not that the number of humourless scolds has increased by that many over the last two decades. It's just that corporate culture has become that much more genuinely chickenshit in every way because they're absolutely terrified of the activists going after their advertisers and threatening their primary revenue sources. :|

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:47 pm

All edge and no point is just as bad. Right wing comedy need to be reminded that the purpose of comedy that transcends and stands the test of time isn't to kick down at lessers. Till that happens there can be no middle ground and we are just going to have Greg Gutfeld as the standard bearer of what is considered tasteful.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:02 pm

The vast majority of the comedians who are at war with woke aren't right-wingers. They're almost all self-identified liberals who don't vote for the likes of Trump. The odds that a John Cleese or Rowan Atkinson voted for someone like Margaret Thatcher, or a Maher/Burr/Chappelle supported Reagan/Bush, are so remote as to be infinitesimal. They're only "right wing" because the actual left wing has gone so far astray that literally everyone, including lifelong liberals through no choice of their own, are now "on the right" only by involuntary default.

It's the liberals who got betrayed & backstabbed by the woke left, not the other way around. Their only fault is that they knew this was going on in the background, especially in the mainstream media and on college campuses, and did nothing to head it off even when in the 1980's and 90's it was becoming very clear that liberals had about as much in common with hardcore leftists as they did with increasingly-rabid conservatives. Guess they never got around to realizing that the lesser enemy, or grudging ally of convenience, that's allowed to fester in the background in the past eventually will inevitably show up in the present as a much larger & more dangerous threat.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:38 pm

Thanos Thanos:
I mentioned Norman Lear earlier. He'd have no chance in hell of putting something like All In The Family on TV today. Maybe on HBO, or some other stream, but definitely not on mainstream TV. And the same too with Seinfeld now. I can think that at least half the Seinfeld episodes wouldn't be approved for broadcast today. Just too "dangerous, non-inclusive, & mean" by the empty & farcical standards that have been imposed by cowardly television executives over the last fifteen years. Shit, if Chuck Lorre went into CBS today with a pilot for something like Two & A Half Men (or even The Big Bang Theory) they'd probably send up a couple of thugs to drag him out of the waiting room and then toss him down the stairwell. It's not that the number of humourless scolds has increased by that many over the last two decades. It's just that corporate culture has become that much more genuinely chickenshit in every way because they're absolutely terrified of the activists going after their advertisers and threatening their primary revenue sources. :|

Funny you mention All in the Family. We've been recording the reruns that have been running on TV for a few months now, 4 every Sunday, all seasons/episodes in order. We are way behind in catching up but when we do watch a couple it's almost startling to hear certain words and phrases that you just don't hear anymore anywhere. It's interesting however that most of the issues and situations they encounter and deal with are the same issues in society today, more or less anyway.