CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:25 pm

I can safely say my 1st 3 acts would be:

1-Begin the process of phasing out all payments to natives within a 3 year span(all payments; we dont owe them a nickel.. time for them to join the rest of the workd force). Continue to fund native kids full secondary education for the next 20 years only.

2-Increase millitary spending; not to build a huge army, but, make it so that we can delegate more soliders around the world and have well paid and trained soldiers

3-End all privatization of health care, dump all the money saved on funding natives for their beer and "smokes" in the health care system

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:16 pm

Ive thought about this, I wouldnt want to be PM.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:44 pm

I am with Pegleg on this one - I wouldn't want the job, BUT if I had to then this is what I would do.

Military - Focus on special forces, not major combat. Small teams of highly trained special teams to supplement the might of the American military would increase our contribution to global conflicts. We could fund University research to this end, giving better graduate opportunities at the same time as building our military in a different and more focused direction.

Health Care - More privitization. No way can I wait for 6-12 months for an MRI. When I need one, I want it that day or the next.

Government - shrink it

Gun control - Limit it to hand guns and other weapons designed for killing people. Rifles/Shotguns - a big part of the way of life for too many Canadians and a ridiculous exercise.

US policy - Remain sovereign in our decisions, but do it without poking a finger in the eye of their leader everytime you open your crooked mouth.

Finally - Better exploitation of our natural resources to attract more foreign investment and get some of our welfare provinces back in the money.

Just some highlites, it would be the last job I'd want to have, though :)

m

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:15 pm

If I was Prime Minister, I'd do a few things.

1. Legalise pot. Not decriminalise...legalise. Want a grow op in that abandoned brewery? Good, pay taxes and be above board.

2. Rebuild the military. I would agree with the small, special ops thing, but not with an eye to augmenting the US. In fact, just like a stripper with breast implants that are too large, they need to be de-augmented. Canada has a problem defending our sovereignty, especially in the north...let's deal with that. We like to think of ourselves as a peace-keeping country...let's do that.

3. A complete and total revision of agricultural policies. Think feeding cows to cows, or any kind of meat to an herbivore, is okay? Good, you belong in prison for reckless endangerment. Think it's okay to pay farmers next to nothing while charging a huge mark-up on the end products? No problem, all of your money (and your house and car) just got donated to farm charities.

4. Think you can earn money in Canada, provide no real social benefits, pay few taxes and hide behind a lawyer's office in Bermuda? Good, then you can do business in Bermuda, not Canada.

5. Have you broken international laws or commited crimes against humanity? Best not come here then because you will be arrested and tried. If possible it will happen in an international court. If not, the Canadian court system is exceedingly fair and our jails have a relatively low rate of anal rape. Enjoy.

6. Parliamentary Reform. Proportional representation. Your party got 46% of the popular vote? Good, your party has 46% of the seats. Best talk nice to those guys who only have 12% of the seats because without their cooperation they can and will sink you.

7. All Kyoto all the time. It isn't just a way to save the environment, it's a way to make us technological leaders on the planet. We have the resources because of geography. We have the knowledge because of climate. We have a population of educated people. We have advantage if we want it.

8. Education. The next time some half-bright inbred git tells us that we have to institute the three r's, get back to basics, and bust the teachers unions so we can pay them even less, I suggest we spike that git to the big tree in my yard.

9. Natives. Honour the treaties while working with them to allow them to contribute to our society. They are bright people, just like any other group. They understand the problems facing them and have a lot of insight into the problems facing the rest of us.

10. Trade. If it doesn't work to improve the environment and human rights, then we don't sign it, we fight against it. We've got the big guns here...we own what other people want and have the a wealthy enough society that they would like to sell things to us. Let's use that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:09 pm

White_Out White_Out:
I can safely say my 1st 3 acts would be:

1-Begin the process of phasing out all payments to natives within a 3 year span(all payments; we dont owe them a nickel.. time for them to join the rest of the workd force). Continue to fund native kids full secondary education for the next 20 years only.

So after 20 years the natives would have to pay for high school when everybody else in the country gets it for free. Nice. :roll:

What "we" owe the "natives" is a little respect and dignity.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:18 pm

Anyway, what I would do

1) Eliminate the Senate
2) Pass better endangered species and environmental regulation
3) Encourage exporters to explore markets outside the US.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:08 am

I meant post secondary education. Natives get free college and university education in Canada.. something I would make legislation for that would cut if off in 20 years. You know, to give the kids time to join the rest of us working society? I have absolutley no respect for most natives. They live like pigs on their reserves, they get their cheques from my taxes and yours, and waste their life away drinking and living like animals in shanty towns in the middle of no where. Ya, that's a great life I should respect.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:19 pm

I'm with you White-Out. I'm bitter on this subject. I grew up next to a reservation and saw the natives drive better cars than we did and my mom and dad both worked and their parents didnt. there where a few natives that didnt live on the reserve and worked but they where beat up all the time at school by the reserve natives. Sad. I think the treaties are over. Sure they werent treated nicely but thats life and that period of time is over. They say they want equality but when they start getting treated the same the crap about it till they are treated better. They dont have to live a reserve, its just if they do they get gov't checks!! Let them pay taxes and get jobs like we all do. I'm not saying that they all are bad some do get jobs and try to make a living on their own. They want to self govern themsleves now!! Yeah right. Why not let the every other minority govern themselves. I say start cutting back on funds and let them know they have to work and then say if you dont like it move to the states. See if they get treated any better over there. harsh but we cant keep paying for the injustice done to these people because to do so is unjust to the people of ALL Canada!!

Your agenda is pretty much bang on with mine! I'd vote for you.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:23 pm

Why not work towards a free, or very cheap, post-secondary education for everyone, White Out? That would seem to me to be equitable for natives and non-natives alike since higher levels of education have been shown to raise standards on living and lower social problems.

I realise that such a solution wouldn't do much to reinforce your very low and ill-informed view of aboriginals and the issues surrounding them, but it might actually be at least a partial solution to the problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:39 pm

you could do that with the money that you used to spend putting all the natives through school for free!!!!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:47 pm

No Evan, actually you couldn't. Very little is actually spent on native post-secondary education.

Both of you should go and read some treaties and learn some history. I grew up near a lot of reserves. I've spent time on those reserves too. I still count some residents of reserves as my friends. I have at least a passing knowledge of the challenges a native trying to move off reserve faces, and the challenges presented to those choosing to remain in their homes. I find what you both have said to be inaccurate, unfair, ill-informed, and prejudiced. Worse than that you are showing an attitude that has historically made the problems worse, not better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:26 pm

Well I'm just going on personal experience. I've seen the natives at my hometown have newer and better things when their parents dont even work. I've had native friends and their parents didnt work and got a check from the govt. nicer clothes, cars and houses. The gov't has give millions of dollars to the native reserve. first to build a bingo hall, second to build a gas station and supermarketThird to build a lodge for tourism and again to build a fisheries. The bingo hall stayed open cause everyone goes there!! the supermarket closed cause of mismanagment. The lodge was funded because of the promise it was a tourism spot and would be available to all. It was built and noone but native people where allowed in. A couple of non-natives tried to go and book a room cause its nice and they wouldnt serve them and told them to leave. The fisheries is a farce cause its by a dam and there are no fish in the river but what the govt puts in there in the first place.

Maybe I am prejudiced. Perhaps I am ill-informed. For that there is no excuse. I'm just telling you what I've seen!!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:54 pm

I'm saying you need to see more. A lot of it won't be pretty. A lot of it will cause you to question native leaders and the motives of our national and provincial leaders, past and present. A lot of it will just make you want to puke. There is a reason why South Africa came here to study our reserve system before they built their own version of the same.

Those nice vehicles weren't bought with welfare cheques though and you're liable to see a lot of things differently after you get a better view.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:19 pm

What can be done to change things for the better?
Now I may be wrong but it seems to me that there are a higher number of unemplyeed native americans than anyone else. OF course again I'm talking about at home. But my mom works for a guy who builds houses. And whenever the reserve gets money to build things then someone on the band council always has a house built or gets a new car or something. Most of the time they spend the money instead of putting it towards the people like it should be. But if you try to interfere then they get mad and tell you its not your buisness.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:38 pm

Excuse me while I laugh and gag at the same time. Nothing is stopping natives from getting real jobs and doing at least AVERAGE in high school and getting free university. The only way you can help these people is to cut off their gravy train. These people live like pigs, I've seen and been to reserves both in Alberta and Manitoba. I dont care if your buddies with some natives, the fact is they live in slums and live like pigs. Whats the suicide rate amongst natives? What % are alcholics compared to the rest of the country? The Canadian government, by allowing these people to live the way they do, are validating this life style. It's time to cut off the gravy train and for these people to get jobs and stop being such a horrible burdon on the Canadian tax payer.