Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Okay. Today we dealt with some particularly rude customers who we simply could not help.

Because of the ignorant and rude scene they caused in the middle of my store, we've considered to ban them by letter (as they left before we could ban them in person)

Here is a censored copy. Names have been changed/removed to protect the innocent and the completely guilty. It's cheeky. It's real cheeky. The whole thing is cheeky. We tried being nice and it didn't work, so here's cheeky.

Why did I write this? Because I was sorta asked too, and since I was part of it, I totally want too.

For the sake of having a name, let's call my store "Super Club". :lol:

A few things to keep in mind. We gave this couple an In-store Credit. We didn't need too. We did because we're nice and totally don't like 6 foot tall football player-built assholes ripping our throats out. (Me, lanky, skinny, my manager, elderly, skinny, lanky). He's not that old. My "elderly" comment in the following letter is a jab. He yelled at us for a rather long time for a customer complaint. He was plain wrong to blame us for the problem and plain wrong to expect us to fix their own issue outside of our ability. We did our best by giving an in-store credit, which we weren't supposed to do. Especially not to someone who was so hostile.

Customers came up to me and my manager after the angry customers walked out the door, and expressed concern over the man's yelling. He didn't win anyone over.

He called me and my co-workers "idiots", so I responded to that in my ban letter as well.

The Letter Ban wrote:
(The bolded part of the letter is part of a form I also created for the store.)
SUPER CLUB LOGO

Hello.

This is a notice from Super Club of your permanent and irrevocable ban from the premises of our building.

We felt it fair and appropriate to inform you of this ban, and an official reason is provided by Super Club.

We only ban as a last straw and any ban is issued far past the point of any sort of grey-area. We feel we acted as responsible, tolerant, understanding, and helpful as legally possible in regards to your situation. Our managers and sales associates feel the utmost regret in having to give this unfortunate notice, but it's been decided that nothing else can be done.

Date:
February 13th, 2010
Reason: The customers (senior male and female) chose to take an unrealistic and offensive standpoint concerning the issue and refused to cooperate with the Sales Associate who made the sale and the Manager who assisted the Sales Associate with the threatening customer.

The customers, mostly the male, made an unacceptable scene, screaming loudly for around 10-20 minutes. Their complaint was of no fault of ours, and we were legally not entitled to offer him anything. They chose to derive from the phrase "fully-functional" the idea of a very concise detail, such as volume control, even though it doesn't say this. This is an unfortunate foolish human error at the fault of the customers. Our warranty is not a satisfaction guarantee - we only cover actual manufacture defects. They did not ask for assistance before or during purchase. They did not ask a single question. They are not only allowed to ask for assistance, they are encouraged.

The male continued to verbally harass the Manager of Super Club, calling her an "idiot", claiming she "worked at Burger King" (implied as insulting, of course), and the woman ignorantly asked her to "cut the attitude" when she showed resistance because our policy was FIRMLY EXPRESSED REPEATEDLY. The customer yelled at several points during the explanation, not letting either the Sales Associate or Manager to finish their thoughts.

The customers also displayed disrespect by trying to dismiss the Sales Associate from the conversation, repeatedly yelling at both the Sales Associate and the Manager. Since these customers have showed outright disrespect of other human beings, we feel the need to issue a legal response by issuing this ban.

IF YOU VIOLATE THIS BAN, YOU WILL BE SUBJECT TO ALL PENALTIES (Max Fine of $2,000) INCLUDING A WARRANT-LESS CITIZEN ARREST UNTIL APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES ARRIVE. WE WILL CONTACT THE POLICE IMMEDIATELY AND WITHOUT ANY REGRET OR HESITATION. USE GOOGLE IF YOU'D LIKE TO READ UP SOME LITERATURE: THE ALBERTA "TRESPASS TO PREMISES ACT" R.S.A. 2000, CHAPTER T-7. IF ANY OTHER DAMAGES OR ILLEGAL SCENES ARE CAUSED, APPROPRIATE ACTION WILL BE FOLLOWED.

Further Reading:

Contained is a FREE copy of our Policy. (stapled aggressively to the back)

As far as stupidity is concerned, obviously we must be absolute idiots for your own human error (that you refuse to accept your own responsibility for). We are absolute idiots for your disrespectful actions. We are absolute idiots for the scene you caused, and we are absolute idiots for the embarrassment your scene caused our store, yourselves, and our other customers, some which were offended by your actions. We should totally be ashamed of ourselves for being polite, courteous, attempting to help, and explaining respectfully when there's nothing we can do. We are so glad your brilliance showed us that we should instead scream and yell when we are wrong and that we should rip people's throats out for absolutely unacceptable reasons. Absolute clear-thinking on your part.

Your Super Club Credit Voucher (which you were NOT entitled too but we gave you anyway) is STILL LEGAL and you have a FULL YEAR to use it. You must also use it all at once (or not at all, if you so choose). Please use it at another Super Club establishment, there are *NUMBER* in Canada. Yes, you can use it at another Super Club, we aren't screwing with you. Please don't insult the fine Sales Associates at the other Super Clubs. The closest one is *TOWN NAME*. They're a bit bigger, and the manager is male.

Thank you very much,

*MY SIGNATURE*
*MY BOSSES SIGNATURE*

There ya go. And I was wondering, what do you think of people being banned from stores? Should it stretch to family as well, and should the charges be higher or lower?

And yes, I have their Full Names, Address, Phone Number... So this will be getting sent.

Last edited by Public_Domain on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:18 pm

[quote="Mr_Canada"]
There ya go. And I was wondering, what do you think of people being banned from stores? Should it stretch to family as well, and should the charges be higher or lower?

"Should the sins of the father be visited upon the son?"

If they are as unhappy as you have indicated, not likely that they will be back in the store any time soon. A wise man once said " Let It Be, Let It Be."

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:18 pm

:lol: Nice job.

They won't be the first, or last, arseholes to be banned from a retailer. It happens all the time. Keep us updated as to how they accept the news. XD

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Yogi wrote:
Mr_Canada wrote:

"Should the sins of the father be visited upon the son?"

If they are as unhappy as you have indicated, not likely that they will be back in the store any time soon. A wise man once said " Let It Be, Let It Be."

One main reason we want to issue the ban is also because we should have never given him that Credit Voucher.

We never want to serve them again, and they have $31.47 on a slip of receipt paper to spend with the store.

I want them to **** off and use it somewhere else.

Also, did you hear that story about the Tim Horton's guy who kept complaining? Some people don't quit, :lol:

Last edited by Public_Domain on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:21 pm

You have a typo. I should be "woman" instead of "women", here:
Quote:
The male continued to verbally harass the Manager of Super Club, calling her an "idiot", claiming she "worked at Burger King" (implied as insulting, of course), and the women ignorantly asked her to "cut the attitude" when she showed resistance because our policy was FIRMLY EXPRESSED REPEATEDLY. The customer yelled at several points during the explanation, not letting either the Sales Associate or Manager to finish their thoughts.

Other than that, you must make sure this holds up in court. Cheeky is fine, as long as it holds up...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:23 pm

wildrosegirl wrote:
:lol: Nice job.

They won't be the first, or last, arseholes to be banned from a retailer. It happens all the time. Keep us updated as to how they accept the news. XD

Oh yeah, they aren't my first and aren't my last, :lol:

Except all the previous bans have been completely verbal.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:25 pm

It is Brenda. As far as I know, all that is asked is that I give notice somehow (which can be verbal) in order for the person to know he is no longer allowed on the premises.

Also, the only other way he could avoid this law is if he were like, a paramedic, saving someone's life while freaking out about a fairly cheap CD Player's remote control.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Mr_Canada wrote:
It is Brenda. As far as I know, all that is asked is that I give notice somehow (which can be verbal) in order for the person to know he is no longer allowed on the premises.

Also, the only other way he could avoid this law is if he were like, a paramedic, saving someone's life while freaking out about a fairly cheap CD Player.

Just issue them a notice of trespass.

The letter should state that they are no longer allowed on the premises or within the establishment and that should they re-enter, they would be arrested for trespassing.

As for this holding up in court, don't worry about that. Any verbal notice of even the shortest trespass notice is good enough to warn the customers accordingly.

Just ensure the name of the customer(s) is correct at that the letter, regardless how its written, is dated.

Here's one that's commonly used in many large Canadian retailers:

TRESPASS NOTICE

Name: ______________________________
Address: _______________________________ (If Available)

TAKE NOTICE: You are hereby prohibited from entering onto, on in any way trespass upon, these premises (Company Name Here) for any reason whatsoever.

Your failure to comply with this Notice may mean that you will be apprehended for TRESPASSING and dealt with according to the law.

Dated at: _________________________________
This ______________________ Day of _______________, 2010

Issued By: __________________________________________

To finish, I would leave out your personal feelings, or attacks as they appear to be towards the customer.

Yes, they may have called you and your staff idiots, but don't overstep your bounds and become unprofessional.

Keep it simple, lay down the law and be professional. If they refuse to leave, get the police involved.

Last edited by OnTheIce on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Universal remote, I hope? :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:38 pm

i'd drop the sarcastist remarks simply because its hard to project emotion and sarcasm in a letter.

i liked the letter, but if it was my letter, i would protect the liability of the store by simply give notice of the ban, and not providing any reasons or allegations

just my 2 cents, best of wishes to you

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Brenda wrote:
Universal remote, I hope? :lol:

It was a remote that came with the CD Player they bought. It operates the CD Player. But apparently they planned to use the whole thing for something else (I have no idea what). They apparently expected volume control on the little remote. (It has 4 buttons. Play, Fast Forward, Rewind, and I think there's a "Radio" button.)

I understood why they had an issue with the remote. That sucks. But ultimately? It's not my issue and it isn't the store's issue.

They mis-read the sign, assumed it had things it didn't, then passed the buck onto us.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:48 pm

ASLplease wrote:
i'd drop the sarcastist remarks simply because its hard to project emotion and sarcasm in a letter.

i liked the letter, but if it was my letter, i would protect the liability of the store by simply give notice of the ban, and not providing any reasons or allegations

just my 2 cents, best of wishes to you

Thank you, :)

I personally don't want anyone within earshot of this guy to ever come to my store anyway. Well, I do. I mean, the nice ones.

Angry customers are a rare few now.. Which is good. Occasionally we get one crazy guy though that ruins the day.

I'll consider making it clean. The professional route is the "good guy" route.

Perhaps it's because I don't usually get to yell at angry customers, :twisted: :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 pm

OnTheIce wrote:
Mr_Canada wrote:

Also, the only other way he could avoid this law is if he were like, a paramedic, saving someone's life while freaking out about a fairly cheap CD Player.

Just issue them a notice of trespass.

The letter should state that they are no longer allowed on the premises or within the establishment and that should they re-enter, they would be arrested for trespassing.

As for this holding up in court, don't worry about that. Any verbal notice of even the shortest trespass notice is good enough to warn the customers accordingly.

Just ensure the name of the customer(s) is correct at that the letter, regardless how its written, is dated.

Here's one that's commonly used in many large Canadian retailers:

TRESPASS NOTICE

Name: ______________________________
Address: _______________________________ (If Available)

TAKE NOTICE: You are hereby prohibited from entering onto, on in any way trespass upon, these premises (Company Name Here) for any reason whatsoever.

Your failure to comply with this Notice may mean that you will be apprehended for TRESPASSING and dealt with according to the law.

Dated at: _________________________________
This ______________________ Day of _______________, 2010

Issued By: __________________________________________

To finish, I would leave out your personal feelings, or attacks as they appear to be towards the customer.

Yes, they may have called you and your staff idiots, but don't overstep your bounds and become unprofessional.

Keep it simple, lay down the law and be professional. If they refuse to leave, get the police involved.

R=UP Thanks for the tips/advice [B-o] .

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:53 pm

i would compare this to an employee, if i had an opportunity, i would never fire someone if i could lay them off instead......i'm not a nice guy, laid off employees cant sue you for wrongful dismissal

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Mr_Canada, I appreciate your desire to tell the customer off, but clearly, you people are the better in this situation.

Take the high road [B-o]