canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:45 pm

I don't think so, as an anti-theist I don't really want any religion to be more dominant. I would much rather see them all die out thank you.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:00 pm

uwish uwish:
I don't think so, as an anti-theist I don't really want any religion to be more dominant. I would much rather see them all die out thank you.

You're entitled to your belief and so am I entitled to mine.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:37 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
uwish uwish:
well I know the number of people that check nothing against the 'denomination' box or write Atheist is one of the fastest growing populations in North America.

The other fast growing group would be the Muslims.

I dare say the atheists will pine for the 'good old days' of a Christian majority if they are ever confronted by a Muslim plurality.

It will be many many many many many... many moons before we see Islam overtaking Christianity in North America. That's not to say we wont see more Muslim influence, look at the Jews, they hold a pretty small minority but have quite a bit of sway.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:46 pm

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
It will be many many many many many... many moons before we see Islam overtaking Christianity in North America. That's not to say we wont see more Muslim influence, look at the Jews, they hold a pretty small minority but have quite a bit of sway.

A lot of Europeans said the same thing not so long ago and now they're faced with enclaves of Islamic rule in their cities with places where infidels dare not to tread.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:35 pm

$1:
look at the Jews, they hold a pretty small minority but have quite a bit of sway.

A big freaking difference. When was the last time you heard about Jews asking the rest of us to conform to their religious beliefs? The Jews are probaly the most secular people in North American society. Their influence is largey tied to business, academia and the arts. If only the Muslims were more like the Jews, there'd be less conflict and animosity....and fewer things going boom.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:07 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:

A lot of Europeans said the same thing not so long ago and now they're faced with enclaves of Islamic rule in their cities with places where infidels dare not to tread.

:roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:22 pm

The most condemning statement of human limitations is the fact that any religion still exists after some 10,000 years of civilization. So much technological advancement and yet basically we still throw rocks at our shadows.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:42 pm

It'll still be here, in some form or another, in 10 000 years time if there are humans around.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:15 pm

Sadly.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:26 pm

I notice I say 'Oh my god' and 'Jesus Christ' a lot.

But that's it, mainly a hang up from being raised with it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:48 pm

It's our culture. I know Jews, Muslims, hindus and Sihks who say 'Jesus Christ!!' when angry. Here the Chinese like to copy our expresions, because they figure it makes them appear worldly :roll:, all the time. "Oh my ga" is heard quite frequently.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:50 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:

You are not confusing "Islamic rule" with "Ghetto's" and "Streetgangs"? Where no self respecting citizen (of any colour or religion) dare go?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:05 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Sadly.

While man trying to impose his religious beliefs on other has brought a lot of sorrow to humanity, religion has also inspired great creations of beauty and wonder, whether it's music, literature, philosophy art or architecture.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:07 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
It's our culture. I know Jews, Muslims, hindus and Sihks who say 'Jesus Christ!!' when angry. Here the Chinese like to copy our expresions, because they figure it makes them appear worldly :roll:, all the time. "Oh my ga" is heard quite frequently.

They really shouldn't think it's that great...

As an atheist it bugs me that I say it so much as a term of irritation, shock, or anger. Despite that I still use it very heavily without really realizing it. If I don't say the Lord's name in vain I curse instead, so it's really the best I've got for expressing anger without sounding like a trucker.

More than once I've had some uppity Christian make comment that that is why 'I'm not truly atheist' or even further to make the claim that there's 'no such thing as atheists' [huh]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:17 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:

They really shouldn't think it's that great...

As an atheist it bugs me that I say it so much as a term of irritation, shock, or anger. Despite that I still use it very heavily without really realizing it. If I don't say the Lord's name in vain I curse instead, so it's really the best I've got for expressing anger without sounding like a trucker.

More than once I've had some uppity Christian make comment that that is why 'I'm not truly atheist' or even further to make the claim that there's 'no such thing as atheists' [huh]

Obviously on some subconscious level, atheists that use the Lord's name in vain must believe in Him.
Otherwise you'd be using more popular "mythical" characters like "Santa H. Claus!!!" or saying Bunnydammit. :P :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 5  6  7  8  9  10  Next