canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Economic forecasts are similar to religious belief...they involve a lot of prayer, guess work and operate on faith.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:37 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Economic forecasts are similar to religious belief...they involve a lot of prayer, guess work and operate on faith.

Careful, you'll insult the 'scientist'.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

Careful, you'll insult the 'scientologist'.

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

Careful, you'll insult the 'scientologist'.

:lol:

XD

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:21 am

Dayseed Dayseed:
If you're interested in truth, try it out tonight, the results may shock you.

That's a little arrogant don't you think?

People don't just magically start holding a god belief because of X it's something built up over time for many reasons. As a former believer I can't think of a more irritating statement then "If you beleive you don't care about truth".

IMO those of a faith care very much because they beleive they have the one and only truth.

I don't think you'll disagree that we both consider that kind of "one and only" thought destructive but I'd much rather assault the idea then individual. Problem is whenever it comes to the topic of religion people just like to poison the well or assert that "I was never a real Christian" or "I had a bad experience" so my thoughts can't be valid.

I'd rather not turn around the assert that "Your basing that on faith so it's always going to be wrong". It seems to be the same shit in a different pile.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:08 am

CanadianJeff CanadianJeff:
Dayseed Dayseed:
If you're interested in truth, try it out tonight, the results may shock you.

That's a little arrogant don't you think?

People don't just magically start holding a god belief because of X it's something built up over time for many reasons. As a former believer I can't think of a more irritating statement then "If you beleive you don't care about truth".

IMO those of a faith care very much because they beleive they have the one and only truth.

I don't think you'll disagree that we both consider that kind of "one and only" thought destructive but I'd much rather assault the idea then individual. Problem is whenever it comes to the topic of religion people just like to poison the well or assert that "I was never a real Christian" or "I had a bad experience" so my thoughts can't be valid.

I'd rather not turn around the assert that "Your basing that on faith so it's always going to be wrong". It seems to be the same shit in a different pile.

I am a person of faith and the only truth I have is for me. You have your truth, the Muslim has his truth, the Christian has their truth. Not everyone falls into the cliched evangelical Christian out to convert the heathen masses, Jeff.

That isn't so much arrogant as truly ignorant.

As for poisoning the well, the fact that you have the need to assault the idea to begin with and not take it apart defenisvely is amazingly arrogant. Please, post the names of the regulars here who also profess to persons of faith that initiate these conversations by putting that in your face or make even attempt number one to convert you...

On the other hand, the list of aggressive atheists with issues hiding behind their need to push the truth is quite long.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:33 am

I agree Gunny. Religion as personal. Just like non-religion is. There is no reason for anyone to explain why they believe or do not believe.
Until they are attacking others and claim that what they believe or not believe is the one and only truth for everyone. The moment someone's faith or lack there of is professed as fact, either goes wrong.

It is a BELIEF.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:51 am

Brenda Brenda:
I agree Gunny. Religion as personal. Just like non-religion is. There is no reason for anyone to explain why they believe or do not believe.
Until they are attacking others and claim that what they believe or not believe is the one and only truth for everyone. The moment someone's faith or lack there of is professed as fact, either goes wrong.

It is a BELIEF.

Of course it is a belief. And I doubt there is a single person of faith here that goes around dropping 'truths'.

At the same time, the Atheists that claim 'truth' in the very very limited understanding we have of our universe are also dripping with arrogance.

These tend to be truths based merely on what we know and do not take into account everything we do not know.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:12 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Brenda Brenda:

It is a BELIEF.

Of course it is a belief. And I doubt there is a single person of faith here that goes around dropping 'truths'.

At the same time, the Atheists that claim 'truth' in the very very limited understanding we have of our universe are also dripping with arrogance.

These tend to be truths based merely on what we know and do not take into account everything we do not know.

So I agree with you that we just shouldn't judge and claim truth, and you are still pushing that "the Atheists" are assholes?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:24 am

Brenda Brenda:
So I agree with you that we just shouldn't judge and claim truth, and you are still pushing that "the Atheists" are assholes?

On this site I would say that some of the "atheists" are far more arrogant and pushy than those of faith.

Outside this forum I would say that both sides are rife with assholes. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:27 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Brenda Brenda:

On this site I would say that some of the "atheists" are far more arrogant and pushy than those of faith.

Outside this forum I would say that both sides are rife with assholes. 8)

I agree with you on that.
And I think it is a shame. Live and let live...

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:28 am

Brenda Brenda:

It is a BELIEF.

It does not matter if you are Christian, Hindu, Shinto, athiest or agnostic they are all faiths. The 'religions' have faith usually built from follwoing their parents religion. Sometimes they have a conversion to another sect or faith. The athiests have a faith built from 'deductive reasoning' or you might saying looking for proof and not finding it. And the agnostics are sitting on the fence.

No group can prove their point of view is correct. No one can prove there is a god or gods and no can prove the negative. So we all pick something that feels right to us and then live by a set of tenets. Mostly they all boil down to live and let live.

So I would like to practice the last point. Now can we all do something important like have a beer? [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:46 am

Brenda Brenda:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Brenda Brenda:

It is a BELIEF.

Drink your coffee, Brenda.

Yes, many of the Atheists on this site, when religious topics come up, turn into assholes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:48 am

I already had my coffee, thank you for caring :)
"the" Atheists is not the same as "many". And this is exactly what I mean.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:53 am

Brenda Brenda:
I already had my coffee, thank you for caring :)
"the" Atheists is not the same as "many". And this is exactly what I mean.

:roll: Oi...

Moving on...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 9  Next