bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:46 am

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
Brenda Brenda:
Religion, or non-religion for that matter, is a matter of perspective, just like everything is when you raise a child. You teach them right from wrong in the legal way, and you teach them what you think is best.

That you think it is best to teach them every aspect of every religion at a young age, does not mean I think that way. Maybe I don't want them to have anything to do with religion, maybe I think that is something they can figure out when they are old enough to make up their own minds, and that they should explore in their own way without me butting in.
That is pretty much how I feel, answer their questions, or help them discover their own answers. Just try not to steer them into something you know is best for them. Im not a fan of absolutes, especially when it comes to religion.

But what if parents just can't? Some people can't talk about sexuality with their child, want nothing to do with it, don't want to answer (sometimes VERY personal) questions. Some people consider sex "dirty". Others think that "the only way to live is God's way", and will teach their kids that too...
$1:
Brenda Brenda:
I hope you realize I play devil's advocate here, because I am one that teaches her kids everything they want to know, including religion (all of them), if they were interested, as well as sexuality and drugs.

I realise that, and I suspected as much since I know you are a wonderful parent Brenda.

:D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:49 am

$1:
But what if parents just can't? Some people can't talk about sexuality with their child, want nothing to do with it, don't want to answer (sometimes VERY personal) questions. Some people consider sex "dirty". Others think that "the only way to live is God's way", and will teach their kids that too...

As much as we hate it when our kids don't listen to us... sometimes it's good when children completely disregard what their parents tell/try to teach them. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:50 am

Brenda Brenda:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:
You teach them right from wrong in the legal way

i'd like to think that parents are teaching children what's right and wrong on an ethical level as well.

Well, there you go. Ethics are subjective...

teaching them to share, how to cooperate, being polite, showing compassion, to not bully or exclude goes beyond mere legalities.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:04 am

Brenda Brenda:
Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
Brenda Brenda:
Religion, or non-religion for that matter, is a matter of perspective, just like everything is when you raise a child. You teach them right from wrong in the legal way, and you teach them what you think is best.

That you think it is best to teach them every aspect of every religion at a young age, does not mean I think that way. Maybe I don't want them to have anything to do with religion, maybe I think that is something they can figure out when they are old enough to make up their own minds, and that they should explore in their own way without me butting in.
That is pretty much how I feel, answer their questions, or help them discover their own answers. Just try not to steer them into something you know is best for them. Im not a fan of absolutes, especially when it comes to religion.

[quote]
Then they are giving a child a disadvantage, the same as parents who load their kids up with junk food for lunches or ban them from playing sports. Personally I think they should get over themselves. I dated a woman once, who was convinced that you could become pregnant by sitting on a communal toilet. Ignorance can by very harmful.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:08 am

Brenda Brenda:

i'd like to think that parents are teaching children what's right and wrong on an ethical level as well.

Well, there you go. Ethics are subjective...

teaching them to share, how to cooperate, being polite, showing compassion, to not bully or exclude goes beyond mere legalities.

Sure. But now you assume every parent is a good parent and has the child's (and society's) best interest at heart.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:53 am

I only took isssue with your statement that you taught your children what was legal and what is not. I can't comment on your ability and successes/failures as a parent not knowing who you are. I feel that you have to go beyond what the law says is allowable and what it says is not allowable to properly ground children. I wasn't commenting on other parents, just your choice of words. i think the 'ethics' that I listed are pretty universal and apply in almost all societies, yet they are codified laws. lawyers know the law inside and out, bur i think we can agree that there are plenty of them that are unethical as hell.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:55 am

You assume I am being personal and telling my story. I am not. Like I said, I am playing Devil's Advocate.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:06 am

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
you cant have a Christian passport.
There are Vatican passports. That's pretty close.

As for teaching kids religion, I plan to teach any kids I have about many world religions and about tolerance, but also why I believe in the religion I do. I fully intend to be persuasive. Maybe that's a difference between cultural tradition and personal belief.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:20 am

Aren't you a Mormon? If you teach your kids about your faith, you're going to have to avoid subjects like history, archaeology and genetics aren't you?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:25 am

Yes, I'm a Mormon. No, I would not have to deny history, archeology, or genetics to portray my religion as true. I'll teach my kids that a logical contradiction proves one of your assumptions wrong, and that it is just as wrong to imagine a logical contradiction where one does not exist as to deny one exists when it clearly does.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:53 am

None of the cities talked about in the book of Mormon existed nor is there any genetic link between meso-Americans and the Jews, so it sort of undermines the entire premise of Mormonism. An interesting work of fiction but without any of the historical context found in the bibles of the Jews and the Christians.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:46 am

My kids go to Catholic Schools. I'm not overly religious but Catholicism is a part of my culture and this province has a Catholic school system. I don't force my kids to go to mass but I like the structure the Catholic school system has.

Like Shep I also make sure that I do my part in the ethical education of my kids. If either kid wants to opt out of the Left-Footer system and go to the heathen schools I'm fine with that too.

My oldest kid and I have discussed a few matters where the Catholics and I disagree, which again is a healthy issue and part of life. Questioning dogma is something both sides of my heritage have been doing for centuries. All good stuff!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:13 am

So I read the thread, and I don't get Guy Fawkes point of view. For millennia all over the world children have been taught their parents religion. This would include primitive tribes. Guy Fawkes seems to think that children should have a choice.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:25 am

Bruce_the_vii Bruce_the_vii:
So I read the thread, and I don't get Guy Fawkes point of view. For millennia all over the world children have been taught their parents religion. This would include primitive tribes. Guy Fawkes seems to think that children should have a choice.

Yea, I'm with you on this one Bruce. I don't get GF's point either.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:26 am

Bruce_the_vii Bruce_the_vii:

What don't you get?