bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:26 am

BN, first off, you know the perjorative for performing intercourse with oneself, consider it said. :wink:

Second, if you bother to do just a little homework you'll find that there is quite a bit of controversy over the various English translations of the koran. Several English translations excise entire passages (sura) and then reassign the corresponding chapter and verse numbers to other sura.

In some respects the differences in translation are shades of meaning, but in others the differences are that objectionable passages in Arabic are not even included in the English translations.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dummies ... -2546.html

$1:
Don't rely on a single translation of the Koran, but rather get two or three that you can compare and contrast.

But, of course, this advice falls on deaf ears because you won't even be bothered to read just one translation, bad or good, of the koran.

Yet you'll defend it with an inexplicable fervour.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:36 am

Is it not a little odd that one who does not follow the teaching of their professed faith should criticize one who does? :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:40 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Second, if you bother to do just a little homework you'll find that there is quite a bit of controversy over the various English translations of the koran. Several English translations excise entire passages (sura) and then reassign the corresponding chapter and verse numbers to other sura.

In some respects the differences in translation are shades of meaning, but in others the differences are that objectionable passages in Arabic are not even included in the English translations.
The same can be said of the Bible - there's evidence that suggests translators introduced their own spin on the meanings, and in some cases inserted new passages. What you've failed to demonstrate is that any of this is meaningful to the discussion, as you can't seem to introduce any insight to its real meaning, other than to steal a list of quotations from a website and then blather on about the complexities of translation and inflections.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
But, of course, this advice falls on deaf ears because you won't even be bothered to read just one translation, bad or good, of the koran.

I'm not defending anything - let it be known that I personally think the Koran is a crock of shit.

That doesn't negate the fact that you continue to baselessly claim to be an authority on the intimate personal feelings of millions of people because you've read a book. This goes beyond simply presenting your own opinion - you're pretending to have insight into the topic to which others do not reasonably have access, and yet continue to promote ignorance and piss-poor understanding.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:00 am

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
Yeah well, I've "read" the Bible in Hebrew, the Tripitaka in Sanskrit, and the De temporum ratione in Latin.... la dee da, look at me.

I think the extent of your understanding of whatever it is you think you've read is well understood now.

Blue how tall are you PDT_Armataz_01_03

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:05 am

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
let it be known that I personally think the Koran is a crock of shit.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:08 am

novachick novachick:
Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
Yeah well, I've "read" the Bible in Hebrew, the Tripitaka in Sanskrit, and the De temporum ratione in Latin.... la dee da, look at me.

I think the extent of your understanding of whatever it is you think you've read is well understood now.

[huh]
That was a sarcastic comment, if you missed that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:13 am

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
novachick novachick:
Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:

[huh]
That was a sarcastic comment, if you missed that.

Just curious I think of weird things when I'm over tired. I'm blonde of course too [popcorn]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:21 pm

I'm being quoted in your signature now, Bart? Was that statement something that surprised you?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:29 pm

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
I'm being quoted in your signature now, Bart? Was that statement something that surprised you?

I'm a little surprised, yes. But I'm quoting you because you said 'let it be known...' and I'm letting it be known. PDT_Armataz_01_28

(I'll take it down whenever you want :wink: )

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:37 pm

I think you're having difficulty coming to grips with the rest of my post. If that's your response, I'll take that as a confession that you really don't know anything about Islam, any more than the rest of us.

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

The same can be said of the Bible - there's evidence that suggests translators introduced their own spin on the meanings, and in some cases inserted new passages. What you've failed to demonstrate is that any of this is meaningful to the discussion, as you can't seem to introduce any insight to its real meaning, other than to steal a list of quotations from a website and then blather on about the complexities of translation and inflections.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I'm not defending anything - let it be known that I personally think the Koran is a crock of shit.

That doesn't negate the fact that you continue to baselessly claim to be an authority on the intimate personal feelings of millions of people because you've read a book. This goes beyond simply presenting your own opinion - you're pretending to have insight into the topic to which others do not reasonably have access, and yet continue to promote ignorance and piss-poor understanding.

Honestly, what kind of reaction did you expect? You rave about your knowledge of the Koran in its unadulterated form, and yet your best effort is a poorly-compiled list of quotations directly from an internet site. That you expect me or anyone to take you seriously is laughable.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:06 pm

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
Honestly, what kind of reaction did you expect? You rave about your knowledge of the Koran in its unadulterated form, and yet your best effort is a poorly-compiled list of quotations directly from an internet site. That you expect me or anyone to take you seriously is laughable.

Isn't all of the info posted here from an internet site? :idea:

If you wish, I'll start bringing my koran to work and quote from it as best I can (my Arabic is not the best) and I'm sure my coworkers will get a thrill from that. :lol:

And, again, were you to read their bloody book for yourself and then at least study some of the controversy over the various translations you'd have a better idea of where I'm coming from on this.

Let's say, for instance, that we were debating Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October instead of the koran.

Do you think it might help to read the book before forming opinions on it and the people who like or hate it?

And if you think I'm a pain in the ass to muslims with their book then you haven't seen me in action with Mormons when I'm splitting hairs with them over which of the sixteen canonical versions of the Book of Mormon they're supposed to adhere to. And don't even get me started on The Pearl of Great Price and their bizarre obsession with the King James Version of the Bible.

I really do study these things when they come up and in the case of the muslims understanding what motivates them up until recently was a matter of personal survival for me.

I'm no scholar and I acknowledge this every single time I tell people to study the damned subject themselves. Don't take my word for it! Read the bloody book and know for yourself what I'm talking about.

See, as wrong as you may think I am I still know more about the subject than you do. If you think I don't know enough to condemn islam then why do you assail what little I may know when you acknowledge knowing less?

I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just saying that I opened my mind to study up on this and I found it to be revealing.

You'll also notice that I consistently defend islam and muslims when I know they're being falsely accused of something that I know isn't true. :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:22 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Isn't all of the info posted here from an internet site?
Weak - you took a list of quotations from a website (added headings) and called it a rebuttle. If you knew the Koran as much as you claim, you'd at least have picked up on the flaws in the list, as Ali786 has demonstrated.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
If you wish, I'll start bringing my koran to work and quote from it as best I can (my Arabic is not the best) and I'm sure my coworkers will get a thrill from that. :lol:
Poor Arabic to boot - not helping your case here.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
And, again, were you to read their bloody book for yourself and then at least study some of the controversy over the various translations you'd have a better idea of where I'm coming from on this.

Let's say, for instance, that we were debating Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October instead of the koran.

Do you think it might help to read the book before forming opinions on it and the people who like or hate it?
If someone were arguing that the Red October was literally real, I don't have to have read the book to know they're wrong.

Besides, I don't even care if your translation point is valid - the fact is that all Muslims don't necessarily beat their wives, they don't necessarily hate every non-Muslim, and they don't necessarily want me dead for not believing in their God - all of which you've been trying to argue.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
And if you think I'm a pain in the ass to muslims with their book then you haven't seen me in action with Mormons when I'm splitting hairs with them over which of the sixteen canonical versions of the Book of Mormon they're supposed to adhere to. And don't even get me started on The Pearl of Great Price and their bizarre obsession with the King James Version of the Bible.

I really do study these things when they come up and in the case of the muslims understanding what motivates them up until recently was a matter of personal survival for me.
Well maybe I'll watch "A few good men" and "jarhead" a dozen times each and I'll claim to know everything there is to know about you, including your inner feelings and motives - that's about on par with the "studies" you've done.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I'm no scholar and I acknowledge this every single time I tell people to study the damned subject themselves. Don't take my word for it! Read the bloody book and know for yourself what I'm talking about.
How about you meet some bloody people and stop trying to understand them through a book?

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
See, as wrong as you may think I am I still know more about the subject than you do. If you think I don't know enough to condemn islam then why do you assail what little I may know when you acknowledge knowing less?
I apparently know more about the average Muslim in North America, because your understanding of them is pretty warped.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just saying that I opened my mind to study up on this and I found it to be revealing.
Stop studying and you might actually bump into a real, live person - you'll find it perhaps a little more revealing.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:05 am

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
Stop studying and you might actually bump into a real, live person - you'll find it perhaps a little more revealing.

I've done plenty of 'bumping' into these people. My book has 29 confirmed and 117 attributed people I've 'bumped' into.

Still want me to stop studying and go back to meeting them?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:07 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:

I've done plenty of 'bumping' into these people. My book has 29 confirmed and 117 attributed people I've 'bumped' into.

How many of those were Muslims in North America?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:41 am

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:

How many of those were Muslims in North America?

I can't answer that question in the affirmative or the negative. Sorry.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 5  6  7  8  9  Next