CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8978
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:29 pm
 


Why mention Star Trek food replicators? There's already hundreds of factories making replicates of food. Check out the freezer section of your supermarket.
Shit, I went to Pizza Hut with the kids and it tastes like they're trying to replicate no-name frozen pizzas....


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4229
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:56 pm
 


BartSimpson wrote:
How did it change when we moved from steam to internal combustion?


I'm no luddite by any stretch but this time it is different. The reason for this is machines will outright replace humans.

In the beginning of the industrial revolution farm machinery displaced field workers who found employment in the factories. As industry became more efficient and automation displaced manufacturing jobs the service economy exploded (medical staff, advertising, middle mgmt, gov etc) and sucked up all available workers and was the golden employment era of the baby boomers.

But this time it is different. The jobs lost to automation and robotics will not be picked up in significant volume by any other industry waiting in the wings. Sure there are a few app developers and other specialised tech jobs but the next generation to be born will be repulsed that a human ever touched your food at a take out place and will never learn to drive.

And the evidence is pretty strong that automation is already starting to hollow out the middle class in both Canada and the US. It is automation that allows corporations to realise greater profits during a recession while correspondingly reducing the workforce and the stock market keeps rising. Nothing like it in 200 years of economic history.


BartSimpson wrote:
Recycling. Cheap plastic crap will be recycled into cheap plastic crap. Oddly enough, 3D printing makes recycling a far more viable and profitable business.


If 100% of post consumer everything was recycled it wouldn't constitute 10% of the overall waste stream. In other words, the pollution and waste created to make your kids happy meal toy is 10x what constitutes the physical toy.

Ironically 3D printing has the potential to seriously alter the waste stream by eliminating resource extraction, manufacturing, transport, distribution, and retail and when it comes to organic printing of food stuffs and clothing this will be great for the environment (disaster for the economy).

However, there is no real effective way to recycle any plastics currently known let alone the graphene laced and other special plastics coming down the line so in a nutshell, the plastic drinking cup your grandparents threw away at some picnic two generations ago has broken down to the point it is now in your bloodstream. Remember, everything buried in a landfill will one day reach the ocean.

BartSimpson wrote:

Terrorism is still terrorism. Anyone so inclined is going to do it whether or not they have a 3D printer.


I disagree. If you make bazookas readily available to the general public you would see a large increase in the use of bazookas to settle neighbourly or workplace disputes, to terrorize people for political, ideological or narcissistic purposes, they would be used by gangs and criminals and there would be plenty more accidental discharges where innocent bystanders are killed.

I don't believe an uptick in bazooka use would lead to a corresponding reduction in the use of guns, knives, bombs etc in terrorist attacks. Do you?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13648
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:02 pm
 


Everyone who thinks that this nightmare is restricted to plastic weapons that will wear out quickly, bad news.

Texas company makes metal gun with 3-D printer

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/08/tech/inno ... metal-gun/

So how long will it be before some ingenious psycho or psycho country acquires the blueprints for. let's say the Abrams tank and decides to build it like the old Johnny Cash song says:



As the matter of fact, I'm thinking about getting me a printer and doing just that. Then them assholes who won't signal are gonna be in for a major surprise. ROTFL


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33648
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:48 am
 


Freakinoldguy wrote:
Everyone who thinks that this nightmare is restricted to plastic weapons that will wear out quickly, bad news.

Texas company makes metal gun with 3-D printer

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/08/tech/inno ... metal-gun/

So how long will it be before some ingenious psycho or psycho country acquires the blueprints for. let's say the Abrams tank and decides to build it like the old Johnny Cash song says:

As the matter of fact, I'm thinking about getting me a printer and doing just that. Then them assholes who won't signal are gonna be in for a major surprise. ROTFL


Why would we ban something because it might possible have bad uses? 3D printing a gun is a generally bad idea, although the metal printing process has a lot of advantages over plastic.

But what about the good uses? 3D printing the plastic knob on your your appliance, that you can only get from the factory for more than it costs to buy a new appliance?

Or 3d printing new skin grafts for burn victims?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/printalive-3d ... ml#w1UaUMA

3D printing your own clothing? Who wouldn't want a recreation of "David" by Michelangelo for the garden?

Knee jerk reactions are not a reason to try to put toothpaste back in the tube. The technology is out, and as Bart hinted at - there are plans out there to build a device to 3d print your own 3d printer. ;) Good luck supressing that information, because all that does is make it more popular.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63756
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:18 am
 


QBC wrote:
Don't forget, it's a constitutional right in the US to make your own firearms at home that can't be detected by conventional security measures.


This may surprise you but you're right.

The FireArms Freedom Act was passed by the state of Montana in 2009 and 39 other states have since adopted functionally similar laws. The law says that any firearm produced within the state, sold within the state, and kept within the state is exempt from all Federal firearms laws and regulations. The law was challenged in Federal court and the Federal court upheld it. The Obama regime wisely passed on appealing this up to the US Supreme Court.

Interestingly, in the Montana case the Federal ruling also voided the Federal laws regulating fully automatic weapons that are made, sold, and held within a state. So far a few people have produced their own automatic weapons and the Federal government has left them alone for now.

:idea:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20878
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:26 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Delwin wrote:
I can see 3d printers being banned in the not-so-distant future. Get em while their hot.


Good luck with that. Printers like that have been used for decades in the prototyping and now the manufacturing sector. The auto industry alone would crumble without them. Besides, a half decent lathe is easier to get, and makes better firearms.

And in good news, Dremel came out with a 3D printer that will be sold in Home Depot and Canadian Tire stores! First one I see, I'm buying.


Ditto. Sick of throwing stuff out because I need one little plastic part.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4661
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:39 am
 


That's a 3d printed magazine, not a 3d printed gun.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33648
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:33 am
 


DanSC wrote:
That's a 3d printed magazine, not a 3d printed gun.


He could just 3d print the things from the magazine, instead of having to order them from Japan.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4814
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:41 am
 


DanSC wrote:
That's a 3d printed magazine, not a 3d printed gun.

No not just the magazine. The other components are painted with a solution to make the plastic stronger.


Attachments:
Reciever.jpg
Reciever.jpg [ 108.14 KiB | Viewed 40 times ]
Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8978
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:55 am
 


Small plastic part that served as a gate on my mini-truck's shift mechanism broke and fell out. I could've glued it together, 3D scanned it and replicated it. Instead of hunting on the Net for months, bargaining and paying for a whole assembly to get shipped here.
Ten billion things you could make and what's all the Internet discussion?
A gun.Gun.
Gun.
Gun.
Make a gun.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4661
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:29 am
 


Delwin wrote:
No not just the magazine. The other components are painted with a solution to make the plastic stronger.

That's a lower reciever, not an action. The action is the actual gun part.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20862
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:51 am
 


Sounds like he's trolling the ATF, nothing more, but I'd be careful if I was him. You don't want to piss off a massive government agency with access to the resources the ATF has.

DanSC wrote:
Delwin wrote:
No not just the magazine. The other components are painted with a solution to make the plastic stronger.


That's a lower reciever, not an action. The action is the actual gun part.


Well, Cody said in the video that was the part that the ATF worries about, not the barrel or the other parts.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4661
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:56 am
 


bootlegga wrote:
Well, Cody said in the video that was the part that the ATF worries about, not the barrel or the other parts.

The ATF also loses track of guns they run to Mexican cartels. The ATF isn't known for their good sense.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33648
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:56 am
 


bootlegga wrote:
DanSC wrote:
Delwin wrote:
No not just the magazine. The other components are painted with a solution to make the plastic stronger.


That's a lower reciever, not an action. The action is the actual gun part.


Well, Cody said in the video that was the part that the ATF worries about, not the barrel or the other parts.


That's the part with the serial number, that's why they worry about it. The rest don't have serial numbers.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63756
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:10 pm
 


herbie wrote:
Small plastic part that served as a gate on my mini-truck's shift mechanism broke and fell out. I could've glued it together, 3D scanned it and replicated it. Instead of hunting on the Net for months, bargaining and paying for a whole assembly to get shipped here.
Ten billion things you could make and what's all the Internet discussion?
A gun.Gun.
Gun.
Gun.
Make a gun.


Partly because there's people who have a vested interest in making 3D printing illegal.

See, none of these 3D printed firearms are illegal to produce using traditional methods in the jurisdictions where they're being produced.

The only fracas is that a 3D printer is being used for a legal purpose.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.