CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:56 pm

The future ain't friendly.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Depending on where you live, it is already an unfriendly place.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:10 pm

I can see 3d printers being banned in the not-so-distant future. Get em while their hot.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:25 pm

Delwin Delwin:
I can see 3d printers being banned in the not-so-distant future. Get em while their hot.

Here's a shocker for ya, I agree :lol:

The moment one of these weapons is used in a shooting even if it's in the US, somebody in Parliament will be screamin' for a bannin', if not before.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:12 am

Delwin Delwin:

Good luck with that. Printers like that have been used for decades in the prototyping and now the manufacturing sector. The auto industry alone would crumble without them. Besides, a half decent lathe is easier to get, and makes better firearms.

And in good news, Dremel came out with a 3D printer that will be sold in Home Depot and Canadian Tire stores! First one I see, I'm buying.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:48 am

My son showed me his stuff a year or so ago. Absolutely terrifying to think how some of this will be put to use.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:40 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Delwin Delwin:

Good luck with that. Printers like that have been used for decades in the prototyping and now the manufacturing sector. The auto industry alone would crumble without them. Besides, a half decent lathe is easier to get, and makes better firearms.

And in good news, Dremel came out with a 3D printer that will be sold in Home Depot and Canadian Tire stores! First one I see, I'm buying.
I am also considering getting one. I really think this technology is amazing and in it's infancy.

What could be more useful than a device whereby you input dimensions and materials and out pops your object ?

I am not saying that I think they will be made unavailable for industrial use, a proper machine shop with all the tools wouldn't need one to create weapons. I am saying that I think there will come a time when they will either ban them outright for commercial use or limit them to the devices that can only process softer materials. I am not saying this because I think it is a good move or will prevent people from making/using weapons I am saying it because we all know after a shooting happens, everyone looks for the convenient scapegoat, and based on what they are capable of (as in the video)I believe that there will be a time when this device will fit that bill.

Also, once the technology has matured, it could pose real threats to big industry that haven't been fully realized yet. We could see it go the way of the "electric car" in a manner of speaking. When you look around your home and consider how many items/parts you could have made yourself, consider that a device like this is in effect capable of replacing the jobs of all of the people who made those items.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Delwin Delwin:

If 3D printers are outlawed only outlaws will have 3D printers. :mrgreen:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:30 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Delwin Delwin:

If 3D printers are outlawed only outlaws will have 3D printers. :mrgreen:
ROTFL

Attachments:
Cold Dead Hand.jpg
Cold Dead Hand.jpg [ 38.58 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Why make a gun with a 3D printer when you can make a non bendable iPhone.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:20 pm

3D printing will change everything and the manufacturing/supply/retail chain as we know it will soon cease to exist. Think about it, a guy in his basement will design a toaster or blender or TV or phone and you will simply download it and print off the design. Everyone from Black Decker to Walmart to Cosco Shipping and even Amazon will be impacted.

A company in the States is experimenting with rudimentary 3d printing a 2000 sq ft house. Within 20 years they anticipate they will be able to 3d print everything in the house from wiring to carpets to paint and trim.

My concerns about 3D printing are threefold:

1. How does the world economy change when manufacturers, retailers and all the industries that support them no longer exist?

2. How on earth will the environment be able to handle the explosion in plastic crap people will print off? For example, making a 3d plastic model of the monster your 5 year old just drew. We are already awash in plastic to the point it is in the blood of every human on the planet and choking the oceans.

3. Any tech savvy kid can print off not just guns but things like claymore mines and bombs and when organic printing is perfected, instead of hamburgers and fries kids might print off viruses or bacteria.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Can't wait! XD

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:30 pm

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
3D printing will change everything and the manufacturing/supply/retail chain as we know it will soon cease to exist. Think about it, a guy in his basement will design a toaster or blender or TV or phone and you will simply download it and print off the design. Everyone from Black Decker to Walmart to Cosco Shipping and even Amazon will be impacted.

True. People will lose jobs in the old industries and move on to the new industries. Stagecoach lines are a thing of the past, so are sailing ships for commercial transport. Yet we're still here.

Oh, and what happens when you can use a 3D printer to make another 3D printer? :idea:

My concerns about 3D printing are threefold:

1. How does the world economy change when manufacturers, retailers and all the industries that support them no longer exist?

How did it change when we moved from steam to internal combustion?

2. How on earth will the environment be able to handle the explosion in plastic crap people will print off? For example, making a 3d plastic model of the monster your 5 year old just drew. We are already awash in plastic to the point it is in the blood of every human on the planet and choking the oceans.

Recycling. Cheap plastic crap will be recycled into cheap plastic crap. Oddly enough, 3D printing makes recycling a far more viable and profitable business.

3. Any tech savvy kid can print off not just guns but things like claymore mines and bombs and when organic printing is perfected, instead of hamburgers and fries kids might print off viruses or bacteria.

Terrorism is still terrorism. Anyone so inclined is going to do it whether or not they have a 3D printer.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:19 pm

Don't forget, it's a constitutional right in the US to make your own firearms at home that can't be detected by conventional security measures.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:58 pm

QBC QBC:
Don't forget, it's a constitutional right in the US to make your own firearms at home that can't be detected by conventional security measures.

...but still we wonder why their police have a quick trigger finger.

***Sorry about that one. I won't ever do that again... promise. :oops: