canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:15 am

Tricks wrote:
12 works great, I've got a couple plates and there is no strain to the eye at all.

FYI - your optic nerve is not sensitive to pain. You can fry it, and feel nothing. Make sure you have CE or UL approved glasses!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:19 am

Official NASA stream, they have tutorial how to make a viewing box. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:22 am

DrCaleb wrote:
Tricks wrote:
12 works great, I've got a couple plates and there is no strain to the eye at all.

FYI - your optic nerve is not sensitive to pain. You can fry it, and feel nothing. Make sure you have CE or UL approved glasses!

12 is safe according to nasa, and it's probably dimmer than the moon at night going through them, not concerned. I've got glasses from Celestron too, that conform to the standards. All set :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:24 am

Hyack wrote:
martin14 wrote:
xerxes wrote:
Annoyingly I'm at work today so I'm likely going to miss the 90% eclipse I can see fro my lattitude. Which is probably a good thing seeing as I don't have any special viewing glasses...

welding mask will work.
I hear torch goggles may not be the safest.

Welding glasses with lenses of AT LEAST #12 shade, preferably a #14.

Thanks. I was gonna see if I could borrow a set from our shop guys. Now I know what to ask for. [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:30 am

xerxes wrote:
Thanks. I was gonna see if I could borrow a set from our shop guys. Now I know what to ask for. [B-o]

If you've got a princess auto nearby, you can get a decent sized plate for about 7 bucks if they don't have one dark enough!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 am

Tricks wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
Tricks wrote:

12 is safe according to nasa, and it's probably dimmer than the moon at night going through them, not concerned. I've got glasses from Celestron too, that conform to the standards. All set :D

True, #12 is good enough - just make sure they are certified! There are a lot of scammers out there because of the eclipse selling cheaply made glasses and filters that have the "CE" or "UL" seal that are not approved!

Another time I wish I could punch people through my monitor. :( Scammers need to get buried up to their necks in an anthill.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:42 am

DrCaleb wrote:
True, #12 is good enough - just make sure they are certified! There are a lot of scammers out there because of the eclipse selling cheaply made glasses and filters that have the "CE" or "UL" seal that are not approved!

Another time I wish I could punch people through my monitor. :( Scammers need to get buried up to their necks in an anthill.

Celestron is confirmed by NASA to be certified for glasses. For the welding lenses, princess auto was selling them as their only brand of plates, chances are they wouldn't be selling random shit. Plus company checks out to be legit. Don't worry, did my research ;)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 am

R=UP

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 am

Meanwhile in central BC we watch the live feed. Clouds, rain, a tad darker than usual. About like Vancouver in November out there.
Got way darker from the smoke last week.

People on line quoting Pink Floyd... for me they're using the wrong album. 2nd eclipse in my life, once again "Obscured By Clouds"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:34 am

Lots of neat shadows now where normally there aren't any this time of day. Cats are avoiding getting panicked by it by engaging in Round 3 of their daily 20 hours out of 24 sleep cycle. 8)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:49 am

Totality is now. I just did a pinhole and bit of paper thing. All you could see was barely a crescent covering the sun - 80% coverage. Really no different than a partly cloudy day. Cell phone camera was useless.

Bart must be having a semi-religious experience. [B-o] The bright corona that you can see with your own eyes, Mercury and Jupiter popping out of the dark . . . fantastic!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:04 am

I was out watching this in Sacramento - we got to about 85% and it was kind of interesting...birds were roosting, cars were crashing, not much work was getting done...pretty much like any other day in Sacramento! :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:06 am

Dang! I thought you were going to go to some place in the path of totality? :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:22 am

Just my luck today that I got hung out to dry at work. ITs a super busy day and I'm short handed and have to run the production all by myself. BUT, I did manage to find a few mins to grab a welding helmet and look at the sun at the time of what passed for totality here in SW BC. it was pretty cool. Now I wish I had been able to see the full eclipse.....

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:23 am

DrCaleb wrote:
Dang! I thought you were going to go to some place in the path of totality? :(

That was the plan but Mrs. Bart shit all over that idea. Seems she doesn't care about such things and so neither am I supposed to care.

She was pissed about the money I was going to spend "just to see it get dark??"

I was going to spend maybe $1500 on the trip.

Hate to say but we're hitting a rough patch after 30 years.

In any case, here's one of the best shots from the phone of what we saw here in Sacto:

Attachments:
File comment: Eclipse
8.21 Eclipse.PNG
8.21 Eclipse.PNG [ 147.5 KiB | Viewed 123 times ]