CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:54 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Lemmy Lemmy:
17 years ago, I used to ice fish on my lake. My lake no longer freezes in winter.

Mine does. It stopped for a decade, or so there, but the 20 below stuff returned, just like the ice in the Arctic did this summer. Be patient. For some reason you're in a freaky warm spot. (That's assuming I believe you).

In the meantime there's been no statistically significant warming globally for 17 years. The IPCC projected there would be. They promised with 90% certainty that temperatures would go up as CO2 levels rose in the atmosphere. It didn't happen.

"Climate reporter" David Suzuki did not, and does not know there has been no warming in 17 years. He's a crappy "climate reporter". He should do his research. Hell, all it takes is Google.

In the last 10 years I've been ice racing in Northern Alberta, 4 of them have had most of the season cancelled because the ice was not thick enough to support the weight of vehicles. One season was completely cancelled. 3 of them had one or two races, but not till late January when the season normally starts late November.

Yeah, OK, you want to get into the technical truth. We can do that, but realize I was dealing with a guy who wants us to believe Canadian lakes don't freeze anymore.

So yeah, I grew up in North Central BC. We had the odd winter of soft ice when people went through, but it was nothing like after I moved away in the 90s. My relatives would tell me stories of winters with no snow. I started watching the temperatures for up there on the nightly provincial news. For one thing I'm interested in the beetle infestation, and how the temperature affects it up there. It's gotten colder than it was over all in the last 10 years. They can get the weeks of 30 below again. Still, there have been a couple of warmer winters - nothing like what it was during the hot times though. Trying to suggest we're still in what we were back then, based on the weather one might see out one's back door is a lie. We are still at the plateau of a peak in temperatures worldwide though, so something like an El Nino winter would still be noticeable.

Last edited by N_Fiddledog on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Yeah, OK, you want to get into the technical truth. We can do that, but realize I was dealing with a guy who wants us to believe Canadian lakes don't freeze anymore.

Come visit me this winter. Take a snowmobile and give 'er a try on my lake. It'll be your sled, not mine though.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:00 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

Come visit me this winter. Take a snowmobile and give 'er a try on my lake. It'll be your sled, not mine though.

What geographic area are we talking about. I'll set my internet browser up to watch the weather there.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:02 am

Give it enough time and all of Canada will looks like this again:

That said, be thankful for the warm weather. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:04 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
What geographic area are we talking about. I'll set my internet browser up to watch the weather there.

Kawartha Lakes, ON

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:06 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

Kawartha Lakes, ON

That's a dandy looking prison you folks have there! R=UP

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:18 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Mine does. It stopped for a decade, or so there, but the 20 below stuff returned, just like the ice in the Arctic did this summer. Be patient. For some reason you're in a freaky warm spot. (That's assuming I believe you).

In the meantime there's been no statistically significant warming globally for 17 years. The IPCC projected there would be. They promised with 90% certainty that temperatures would go up as CO2 levels rose in the atmosphere. It didn't happen.

"Climate reporter" David Suzuki did not, and does not know there has been no warming in 17 years. He's a crappy "climate reporter". He should do his research. Hell, all it takes is Google.

In the last 10 years I've been ice racing in Northern Alberta, 4 of them have had most of the season cancelled because the ice was not thick enough to support the weight of vehicles. One season was completely cancelled. 3 of them had one or two races, but not till late January when the season normally starts late November.

Technical truth? And when did I say that Canadian lakes don't freeze anymore?

I thought we were swapping unrelated stories about weather, which have absolutely nothing to do with Suzuki or Climate change.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:46 am

I'll call David if I have a fruit fly problem otherwise he's of no more use to me than an electrician when my toilet is plugged.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:51 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

Kawartha Lakes, ON

Thanks. I bookmarked this.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weathe ... rtha-lakes

Not bad today. 16 degrees with a few clouds. Maybe if I get bored this winter I'll do a little research on seasonal temperatures there over the years, and we'll do a little necro posting in March.

Help me though. You're pretty close to the American border, I notice. When did you used to get freeze-up and thaw as you remember it? North Central BC it's first snow close to Halloween, thaw close to Easter. Is it about the same there?

And Doc, I didn't say you said Canadian lakes didn't freeze anymore. I said Lemmy suggested it.

It's not that simple though. There was a time the warm winter trend was blatant, but that is no longer necessarily the case. You can still get a warm winter, but the trend that was is no longer necessarily dominant. That's my point in response to his.

And speaking of technicalities. If there is a really cold winter this winter, and I mention it, are you going to be on my case about the weather not climate canard, when you just walked past him using it?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:59 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
And Doc, I didn't say you said Canadian lakes didn't freeze anymore. I said Lemmy suggested it.

You mentioned it in your reply to me, so I thought it was directed at me.

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
It's not that simple though. There was a time the warm winter trend was blatant, but that is no longer necessarily the case. You can still get a warm winter, but the trend that was is no longer necessarily dominant. That's my point in response to his.

And speaking...of technicalities. If there is a really cold winter this winter, and I mention it, are you going to be on my case about the weather not climate canard, when you just walked past him using it?

Yes. Because 'climate' is the trend of 'weather' events over long periods. Until people get that relationship, I will continue to point it out. 'One' does not make a statistic. 'Ten' does not make a statistic, given a large population. 'One hundred', now we are getting somewhere.

86% of people just don't understand statistics, yet they govern our world.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:04 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
I am??? That's news to me. Perhaps you can freshen my memory as to what ridiculous religious claims I'm willing to accept.

I remember, I had a question for you! A little off topic, but let me ask while I remember - I'm trying to weld some aluminum (6061) suspension parts to the frame of a car with 1330 alloy steel. Since they both alloys have Magnesium in the blend; should I use a stick welder with an iron/magnesium blend, or an aluminum/magnesium blend?

Or should I use a TIG welder?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:21 am

Here's the thing though Doc - I have no problem not confusing climate with weather. Providing you insist on the same technical observance of the details there from the group I'll be responding to.

I like you Doc, but it's irritating that you don't speak Prog. You're not the only one. You guys don't seem to hear the smug, self important, BS tone until it's used in response to the instigator. It's like if somebody spoke French to me, and I spoke it back, so you say to me "Speak English".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:26 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
I am??? That's news to me. Perhaps you can freshen my memory as to what ridiculous religious claims I'm willing to accept.

I remember, I had a question for you! A little off topic, but let me ask while I remember - I'm trying to weld some aluminum (6061) suspension parts to the frame of a car with 1330 alloy steel. Since they both alloys have Magnesium in the blend; should I use a stick welder with an iron/magnesium blend, or an aluminum/magnesium blend?

Or should I use a TIG welder?

TIG. Always use TIG on aluminum.

Ever played with MIG on aluminum? It blazes fast but makes the weirdest and most off-putting sound I ever heard. Kind of an aural equivalent of biting down on tin foil. 8O

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:35 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Here's the thing though Doc - I have no problem not confusing climate with weather. Providing you insist on the same technical observance of the details there from the group I'll be responding to.

I am about truth, not partisanship. I have my opinions but I believe in being objective.

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
I like you Doc, but it's irritating that you don't speak Prog. You're not the only one. You guys don't seem to hear the smug, self important, BS tone until it's used in response to the instigator. It's like if somebody spoke French to me, and I spoke it back, so you say to me "Speak English".

I speak English, a little French, German and Russian. I've never heard of this language, "Prog".

I write what I write. I have no intention of being 'smug' or 'self important'. I only want to convey the thoughts I have as directly and without confusion as I can. I even try to add some humour if I can, so as to remind the reader that I'm trying really hard not to talk down to them. Because I know I can get wordy, and it might seem that way.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 7  8  9  10  11  12  13 ... 15  Next