Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Dinosaurs Went Extinct Almost Immediately After Mexican Asteroid Strike

Quote:
Scientists using a new and highly precise dating technique have concluded that the late Cretaceous asteroid strike in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula coincided almost exactly with the extinction of the dinosaurs — give-or-take a few tens of thousands of years. While it's clear that other factors were contributing to the rapidly deteriorating environmental conditions, it's now obvious that the asteroid was the final coup-de-grace for the dinosaurs.

Indeed, all was not well on Earth when the asteroid struck. Volcanoes in India were wreaking havoc to the planet's ecosystems, and earlier asteroid strikes may have contributed to an already fragile environment. Other research shows that Earth experienced six abrupt temperature shifts of two degrees or more in mean temperatures in the one million years before the impact. In one instance, the temperature swung 6-8 degrees.

Dinosaurs Went Extinct Almost Immediately After Mexican Asteroid Strike These factors left doubt in the minds of some researchers, who wondered what it was, exactly, that truly caused the dinosaurs to go extinct. Moreover, previous studies showed considerable inconsistencies with the timing of certain events, leading researchers from Berkeley's Geochronology Center (BGC), the University of California, Berkeley, and universities in the Netherlands and the United Kingdom to investigate further — but this time with a new tool.

Their re-analysis utilized a recalibrated argon-argon dating technique that allowed for more accurate measurements of both the impact date and the dinosaurs' extinction.

Researchers Paul Renne, Jan Smit and colleagues determined that the Yucatan impact event happened 66,038,000 years ago — give or take 11,000 years. It's an extraordinarily precise measurement, as it was only a few decades ago that the margins for error were measured in the millions of years.

Dinosaurs Went Extinct Almost Immediately After Mexican Asteroid Strike The scientists also updated the date of dinosaur extinction. It happened about 33,000 years after the asteroid impact, which is a revision from the previous estimate of 300,000 years (which, when considering the cataclysmic effects of the impact, didn't really make a lot of sense). Given the narrow margins of error for the dating technique, it's very likely, therefore, that the asteroid impact coincided almost exactly with the demise of the dinosaurs. Consequently, the researchers are describing the event as the final blow. It was not the only factor, they admit, but it was certainly a major contributor.

The scientists reached this conclusion after analyzing the tektites (glassy spheres) and ash left over from the impact. The team looked at evidence from both the dinosaur extinction date (including ash collected from the Hell Creek Formation in Montana, the source of many dinosaur fossils) and the crater formation event (namely tektites from Haiti).

"The impact was clearly the final straw that pushed Earth past the tipping point," said Renne through a statement. "We have shown that these events are synchronous to within a gnat's eyebrow, and therefore the impact clearly played a major role in extinctions, but it probably wasn't just the impact."

http://io9.com/5982775/dinosaurs-went-e ... m=Facebook

For the peer-reviewed paper, click here;

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/339/6120/684

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Quote:
give-or-take a few tens of thousands of years

(nitpicking, irrelevent)

Poor choice of words. That phrase has always meant to me either +10,000 or -10,000, with the subject being 0.

Other than that, cool.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm

I get the impression that the dinosaurs were going to go extinct anyway. I'm guessing it was all the saturated fats and high caloric soft drinks in their diets.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:11 pm

I think they were wrongly targeted by the police.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:33 pm

There should be another asteroid to wipe out the rabid right and left wing dinosaurs.

Then all that's left is the Liberals.....oh crap, scratch that idea. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:48 pm

raydan wrote:
I think they were wrongly targeted by the police.

Or the proliferation of swimming pools...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm

You sure it was swimming pools and not those horrible Saturday Night Special hot tubs that the gang bangers all prefer?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:34 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
You sure it was swimming pools and not those horrible Saturday Night Special hot tubs that the gang bangers all prefer?

No, swimming pools. You know, then one with the needless drop offs down to nine feet. I mean who really needs a nine foot deep pool if you are 'swimming' for shit sakes?

I get it that the Constitution clearly states:

"A well regulated recreational area, being necessary to the happiness and enjoyment of a free state, the right of the people to keep and own swimming pools, shall not be infringed."

But how that means this:

is needed instead of this:

is beyond me.

Your country is fucked...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:41 pm

I agree. We also need to ban needlessly fast internet connections...oh, wait, we already did! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:37 pm

Gunnair wrote:

Is it just me or does this photo look like a young John Kerry? 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 pm

'bout time you showed up in the dinosaur thread...