Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:02 pm

I thought this was a neat story.

Quote:
Schildi the tortoise is lucky to be alive -- and thanks to his brand new prosthetic Lego wheel leg, he's also one of the coolest-looking tortoises you'll likely ever see.

Abandoned in the German countryside, Schildi was severely injured when a good-hearted citizen brought him to veterinarians at the Birdconsulting International veterinary practice in Baden, Germany.

"He was in pretty bad shape when they brought him to us," said Dr. Panagiotis Azmanis to The Local. "The lower part of his front leg was missing, and the upper part was very bad, with bone showing, and maggots in necrotic flesh."

After working to stabilize him, veterinarians were forced to amputate Schildi's leg.

The animal recovered successfully from his injuries, but was left unable to move around without a fourth appendage.

Azmanis had an idea.

"Tortoises need to run free in gardens, so he needed a prosthetic," he said. An office toy box had just what Schildi needed.

Azmanis explained to the Local that he used special veterinary surgical glue to stick a Lego base block to the underside of the tortoise's shell.

"After that we could add blocks to achieve the correct height," he said, noting that this may be necessary as the animal grows.

After the blocks were in place, a small Lego wheel was added for mobility.

A picture and video clip of him can be found in the link.

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2013/11/disabled-tortoise-gets-lego-wheel-for-missing-leg.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Cool story. My son is currently doing "Lego Robotics" and I just passed this story on to their leader ..."Lego Prosthetics"