canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:26 pm

OK, this news made me just about go totally plotz. Great news for those of us who love massive amounts of storage capacity and hate having everything (phone/player/camera) all-in-one.

Quote:
TOKYO – Thirty five years after its debut, Sony's Walkman is enjoying a little comeback.

But while the original cassette player of 1979 heralded the age of mass-market, portable music, the new $700 Walkman is aimed at premium buyers, as technological advances help more audio-on-the go users head upscale.

The ZX1, as Sony's gadget is called, is in many ways the antithesis of Apple's slender iPod, and the Walkman's own svelte predecessors. It has a heavy, bulky body that houses 128 gigabytes of storage for ultra-high-quality music files. Sony says each ZX1 is manually carved from a block of expensive aluminum, which helps reduce noise.

"The message for our designers and engineers was: please create a good product without worrying about the cost," said Kenji Nakada, Sony's sound product planner.

Unlike many earlier Sony attempts at high-end consumer electronics, the ZX1 is selling well—at least in Japan. The new Walkman quickly sold out after hitting Japanese stores in December. Since February, the product has made its debut in Europe and other parts of Asia, although its launch date in the U.S. hasn't been set.

And here's a couple of photos of the wee devil:

I have an incredibly loyal Microsoft Zune with over 2000 songs on it that's unfortunately reaching the end of it's life. If Sony releases this beautiful l'il thing in Canada soon enough I'll have a reliable little unit to replace the Zune with when it finally dies. And I like having separate devices for separate functions. I don't need to experience the fun of dropping my phone and breaking my camera and player at the same time. I learned from Battlestar Galactica, gawdammit, to keep things far apart from each other so they all don't go down the crapper at the same time.

And 128 gig for nothing but music?

Livin' in the past, man? I fucking love it! :mrgreen:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:56 am

I wonder if any one human being has actually paid for 128 GB worth of decent music. Lord Google, the mindless corporate conglomerate that I entrust with my strange questions, tells me that 128 GB is about 32,000 songs. Lower that to 16,000 for "high quality" as a guesstimation...

I'm conducting a nonformal poll... Who here has paid for over 30K songs?

20K?

10K?

1K..?

It's definitely cool, and I am so happy that the illegal act I learned as a kid with Kazaa and Limewire has permeated society enough for the industries to give in and support massive drive space for music that is widely known to be stolen or free by most consumers.

Just like the Walkmans of yesteryear, I've heard, with collections of recordings of songs from the radio.

At least people are allowed to generally relax that they won't be punished for downloading entertainment. All that legislation is socially unenforceable and that's beautiful. Hurray for the spread of the arts!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:17 am

How you acquired your collection is irrelevant to me. My sole interest is that there should always be on the market a storage/play system that is singularly dedicated to storing music files only. Go into a Future Shop and all they have now for MP3 players are crappy little things that maybe go up to 16 GB. The last of the Pods Apple will make are still around, for now, but I have no interest at all in abandoning MP3 for iTunes, Quick Time, or whatever other alien Satanic bullshit Apple forces you to use. Yes, you can load it all up into a 32 or 64 GB flash drive, which is terrific for a vehicle or newer receiver that has a dedicated USB port. What about people with an older vehicle though that only comes with a CD player or a half-assed line-in port that sounds like a joke compared to a player hooked up to a USB, or to those who don't want to shell out even more money for an updated home theatre system? These are the ones that have been screwed, because the industry is forcing them to pay more just to have the hardware capable of playing off of the new storage formats.

The bigger concern is that the North American side of the business stabbed music collectors in the back by getting rid of sole-use MP3 players with their dismissive "pshht! just store it on your damn phone" policy. They said that CDs, DVDs, and MP3 players were dying because too many are now downloading. But this is bullshit. In places like Europe and the Far East, CDs and DVDs are still popular, and stores where you can still actually go and buy your own copies still exist. As opposed to North America, consumers in other parts of the world apparently still have a choice of how they want to go about collecting and storage. What do we get in Canada and the US? Just a bunch of corporate assholes in the entertainment industry telling us "you'll do it OUR way!", as usual. Pricks! :evil:

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 am

I have 110GB of music which not one song came off the net.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:26 am

Public_Domain wrote:

20K?

10K?

1K..?

Regina wrote:

I have nearly 60,000. Some are duplicated, but all are paid for.

See P_D, in the old days, we used to buy CDs, and the rip them into digital formats so we could use them in our music players. ;) It beats paying $20 for a bunch of songs that we don't fully control, and FLAC and AC3 files are of better quality than iTunes delivers.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14 am

It does look interesting but if it's not compatiable with ITunes then Fuck! Good as ITunes is there's still music and movies it doesn't have which is why HMV and Ebay come in handy as I never jumped on the bandwagon abandoning cd's or dvd's.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 52.12 KiB | Viewed 406 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:24 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
Public_Domain wrote:

20K?

10K?

1K..?

Regina wrote:

See P_D, in the old days, we used to buy CDs, and the rip them into digital formats so we could use them in our music players. ;) It beats paying $20 for a bunch of songs that we don't fully control, and FLAC and AC3 files are of better quality than iTunes delivers.

60,000 songs sounds like at least $100,000... Especially if they were from CDs/other media.

Some can afford that, 99.9% can not.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:30 pm

With my records, cassettes and cd I have lots of tunes!! I still have my walkman and my diskman. Sadly I no longer have my 8 track :lol: Ok some are doubles like the white album both cd and record. Some are really stupid records bought when I was 12 and had bad taste. I even have 45's :lol:
I would love to have all my tunes portable but I still love my records

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:09 am

Thanos wrote:
OK, this news made me just about go totally plotz. Great news for those of us who love massive amounts of storage capacity and hate having everything (phone/player/camera) all-in-one.

Quote:
TOKYO – Thirty five years after its debut, Sony's Walkman is enjoying a little comeback.

But while the original cassette player of 1979 heralded the age of mass-market, portable music, the new $700 Walkman is aimed at premium buyers, as technological advances help more audio-on-the go users head upscale.

The ZX1, as Sony's gadget is called, is in many ways the antithesis of Apple's slender iPod, and the Walkman's own svelte predecessors. It has a heavy, bulky body that houses 128 gigabytes of storage for ultra-high-quality music files. Sony says each ZX1 is manually carved from a block of expensive aluminum, which helps reduce noise.

"The message for our designers and engineers was: please create a good product without worrying about the cost," said Kenji Nakada, Sony's sound product planner.

Unlike many earlier Sony attempts at high-end consumer electronics, the ZX1 is selling well—at least in Japan. The new Walkman quickly sold out after hitting Japanese stores in December. Since February, the product has made its debut in Europe and other parts of Asia, although its launch date in the U.S. hasn't been set.

And here's a couple of photos of the wee devil:

I have an incredibly loyal Microsoft Zune with over 2000 songs on it that's unfortunately reaching the end of it's life. If Sony releases this beautiful l'il thing in Canada soon enough I'll have a reliable little unit to replace the Zune with when it finally dies. And I like having separate devices for separate functions. I don't need to experience the fun of dropping my phone and breaking my camera and player at the same time. I learned from Battlestar Galactica, gawdammit, to keep things far apart from each other so they all don't go down the crapper at the same time.

And 128 gig for nothing but music?

Livin' in the past, man? I fucking love it! :mrgreen:

[drool]

That sounds amazing!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 am

Public_Domain wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

Regina wrote:

60,000 songs sounds like at least $100,000... Especially if they were from CDs/other media.

Bullshit.

Sure, not very many people can afford to buy it all at once, but buying an album or two every paycheck - like I did go back to the 1980s, is easily achievable. Back then I was making a whopping $4.10/hour at my first job at Arby's. Even with paying for gas when I borrowed the parent's car, eating out and buying decent clothes, I still had enough leftover to buy an album or two every month - or half a dozen 45s. Audiophiles I knew spent most of their check on music.

I don't know how many I have paid for, but in my life, I bought a hundred or 45s (record singles) and maybe a dozen LPs, hundreds of cassettes and probably another hundred or so CDs. All told, I maybe have 5000 or so songs. I got rid of my LPs and 45s a couple years ago when my record player died, but I still have tons of cassettes lying around, many of them filled with songs you can't find on iTunes or CD.

That's why the next time we go visit the in-laws in the US, I'm ordering this off Amazon and getting it delivered there;

http://www.amazon.com/Ion-Tape2PC-USB-C ... =pd_cp_e_0

I'd buy it up here, but most places want double the price (or close to) Amazon wants.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:40 am

housewife wrote:
With my records, cassettes and cd I have lots of tunes!! I still have my walkman and my diskman. Sadly I no longer have my 8 track :lol: Ok some are doubles like the white album both cd and record. Some are really stupid records bought when I was 12 and had bad taste. I even have 45's :lol:
I would love to have all my tunes portable but I still love my records

Back in the 90s, my brother bought a 70s Vega (or some other POS) with an 8-track in it and my Dad had a multi-use stereo with a working 8 track, so I copied a ton of current songs onto an 8-track for him so he would have tunes in his car.

It made a lot of people :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:28 am

bootlegga wrote:
Public_Domain wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

Bullshit.

Sure, not very many people can afford to buy it all at once, but buying an album or two every paycheck - like I did go back to the 1980s, is easily achievable. Back then I was making a whopping $4.10/hour at my first job at Arby's. Even with paying for gas when I borrowed the parent's car, eating out and buying decent clothes, I still had enough leftover to buy an album or two every month - or half a dozen 45s. Audiophiles I knew spent most of their check on music.

I don't know how many I have paid for, but in my life, I bought a hundred or 45s (record singles) and maybe a dozen LPs, hundreds of cassettes and probably another hundred or so CDs. All told, I maybe have 5000 or so songs. I got rid of my LPs and 45s a couple years ago when my record player died, but I still have tons of cassettes lying around, many of them filled with songs you can't find on iTunes or CD.

That's why the next time we go visit the in-laws in the US, I'm ordering this off Amazon and getting it delivered there;

http://www.amazon.com/Ion-Tape2PC-USB-C ... =pd_cp_e_0

I'd buy it up here, but most places want double the price (or close to) Amazon wants.

I have my Fathers record collection, some of which go back to the 1930s and 40s. First pressing Glenn Miller and Slim Gaillard albums! And like Boots, I used to buy records, tapes and CDs every pay cheque.

When albums were worth buying that is. Now I just buy a track or two, because the rest of the album is crap. There's only a few groups where I will buy the whole album, because I know they don't churn out bubblegum rock.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:06 am

DrCaleb wrote:
I have my Fathers record collection, some of which go back to the 1930s and 40s. First pressing Glenn Miller and Slim Gaillard albums! And like Boots, I used to buy records, tapes and CDs every pay cheque.

When albums were worth buying that is. Now I just buy a track or two, because the rest of the album is crap. There's only a few groups where I will buy the whole album, because I know they don't churn out bubblegum rock.

Nice - my Dad mostly had C&W... PDT_Armataz_01_32

I've always been a singles guy - probably has something to do with how I got my start buying music - 45s. I bought albums, but in many cases, I found out what current generations have found out - artists put a few good songs on and the rest is 'art'.

Now that's fine if you happen to like that art, but most albums I bought had 3, maybe 4 songs I liked and the rest were crap IMHO (of course there are exceptions like Dark Side of the Moon, Brothers in Arms, Joshua Tree, etc).

Because of that, I bought cassette singles when they came out in the late 80s and also bought lots of Greatest Hits albums to avoid the 'art' I often didn't care for.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:02 am

bootlegga wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

Nice - my Dad mostly had C&W... PDT_Armataz_01_32

I've always been a singles guy - probably has something to do with how I got my start buying music - 45s. I bought albums, but in many cases, I found out what current generations have found out - artists put a few good songs on and the rest is 'art'.

Now that's fine if you happen to like that art, but most albums I bought had 3, maybe 4 songs I liked and the rest were crap IMHO (of course there are exceptions like Dark Side of the Moon, Brothers in Arms, Joshua Tree, etc).

Because of that, I bought cassette singles when they came out in the late 80s and also bought lots of Greatest Hits albums to avoid the 'art' I often didn't care for.

I usually bought EPs, normal 33 1/3 records with just one or two songs on it. And Album art was the best!! Not just the covers, but the inserts! There are still some artists, like Rob Zombie, that try hard to keep that look and feel to CD's that used to be lavished on LPs. Another of my favourite groups, Tÿr, even has PDF documents of the album inserts when you buy the entire album from iTunes.

I have a lot of dupes because I have an album, then a 'greatest hits' then a 'live' album . . . My Beatles stuff is the worst! White album, then on CD, then on EP, then remastered in stereo (and those came with lossless FLAC files!). . .

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:03 am

I'm like boots, buy an album or three every payday and kept them in excellent shape. 8)

After copying the ones I still listened to I donated them to my oldest boy, the budding rock star. He couldn't believe the difference in sound between LP and CD. I quite counting albums after 1,000 so I can't honestly say how many I accumulated over 35+ years.