Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:38 pm

Kootenays_kid wrote:
N_Fiddledog wrote:
You appeared on this thread worried about "This years Arctic sea ice maximum".

I showed you why you shouldn't fret.

Technically my job is done.

Oh, but what the Hell...what are worried about now?

A scary YouTube video concerning the satellite ice record is keeping you up is it?

The satellite ice record is just 30 years old or so. We have no idea what normal is long term or should be, or how fast ice can go or return, or how often the cycle completes itself. We don't have records we can trust before the satellite record.

There is lots of evidence suggesting nothing is happening that hasn't happened before. For now, relax. Your basement won't be flooded when you wake up the morning from the global warming.

Go to sleep. :)

We have the science going back centuries that clearly links atmospheric carbon dioxide and moderation of the global climate.

But what you don't have is what we were discussing here on the ice thread - a detailed and credible record of where and how much arctic ice there was and a record of its melt, before the satellite record.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:24 am

N_Fiddledog wrote:
Kootenays_kid wrote:
N_Fiddledog wrote:
You appeared on this thread worried about "This years Arctic sea ice maximum".

I showed you why you shouldn't fret.

Technically my job is done.

Oh, but what the Hell...what are worried about now?

A scary YouTube video concerning the satellite ice record is keeping you up is it?

The satellite ice record is just 30 years old or so. We have no idea what normal is long term or should be, or how fast ice can go or return, or how often the cycle completes itself. We don't have records we can trust before the satellite record.

There is lots of evidence suggesting nothing is happening that hasn't happened before. For now, relax. Your basement won't be flooded when you wake up the morning from the global warming.

Go to sleep. :)

We have the science going back centuries that clearly links atmospheric carbon dioxide and moderation of the global climate.

But what you don't have is what we were discussing here on the ice thread - a detailed and credible record of where and how much arctic ice there was and a record of its melt, before the satellite record.

The title here is global ice coverage being the same as 1979, which is inaccurate in itself and meaningless when we're dealing with a change in the global climate to a much warmer state that will see an eventual breakdown of all polar ice sheets if it continues with the same magnitude.

This is in the context of a mechanism that is very well understood and backed by basic science going back centuries as I've posted. There is no mystery as to why the Earth's climate is much warmer than it should be, Joseph Fourier and John Tyndall established that carbon dioxide plays a central role in this effect over 150 years ago. Svante Arrhenius calculated what would happen to the global climate if you doubled CO2 over 100 years ago.

We have detailed real world data that is recording the changes predicted as we have dramatically increased the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. It's not just what's happening to the cryosphere that is providing confirmation of the role CO2 plays in the greenhouse effect on Earth. There's the temperature record, with 14 of the warmest years on record being in this century which is just 15 years old. There's changes in the timing of seasons, changes in the atmospheric temperature profile, sea level rise and more.

What's happening with the polar ice is entirely consistent with this with the Antarctic sheet losing over 1.35 Trillion tons of ice since 1992.

I'm not sure what's being discussed here, but I'm fairly certain it's not science...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:43 am

Kootenays_kid wrote:

The title here is global ice coverage being the same as 1979, which is inaccurate in itself and meaningless when we're dealing with a change in the global climate to a much warmer state that will see an eventual breakdown of all polar ice sheets if it continues with the same magnitude.

Says you.

If the claim of the OP that globally polar ice is above the average since 1979 is correct then "all polar ice sheets" are not breaking down.

Even in the Arctic there was a record extent increase at summer minimum in 2013 and the extent has been level with that since.

That's happening. Shutting our eyes, plugging our ears, and offering an irrelevant history lesson on Arrhenius is not going to make that statistical fact vanish.