bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:05 pm

Tricks Tricks:
The united states is part of the world, even though they often forget it. If the USA is fucked, and the world is more fucked, then they have a cumulative fuckedness to them.

Apparently the US military, backed up by 30 years of scientific study, says otherwise. So much so they are ALL IN on the idea that THEY will survive while the rest of the world burns/drowns.

I'm not sold on that idea at all and once the rest of the world starts catching on how long before they threaten to take the whole world down with them if the US doesn't pitch in? Russia alone has more than enough nukes they could rupture the biodome just by nuking themselves.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:11 pm

Everyone needs to calm down. Please and thank you.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:13 pm

Scape Scape:
BUILDING THE CLIMATE INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX
$1:
The world is more fucked than the United States. And we’re pretty fucked, so that’s saying a lot. Perhaps there’s a way to mitigate this mess by playing upon our worst instincts as a nation and the competitiveness that drives the world. Today we take an alternative view of our response to climate change through the lens of the most dispassionate and powerful observer in the world: The U.S. Military. It’s known for decades that the planet is fucked. And they’ve been preparing in plain sight.

Funnily enough I was a climate change skeptic in the mid-90s. It wasn't a popular topic back then--little more than a growing scientific curiosity. But the first prof I ran into was so evangelical about it that it turned me off--scientists aren't supposed to be evangelical. He was a good prof, and he had tons of evidence I hadn't seen before, but still, his zealotry turned me off, despite the evidence.

It was on reading what the Pentagon thought about global warming that changed my mind. It was already on there radar and they thought it was a future geopolitical threat.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:17 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:23 am

$1:
How floor repair of Inuvik's 'igloo church' could offer deeper look into North's permafrost

The church is no outlier — several buildings in the community are affected by freeze-thaw cycle of permafrost

Even an iconic church is not immune from changing permafrost.

Parishioners at Inuvik's historic Our Lady of Victory Catholic Church, better known as the igloo church, began to notice the floor was dropping a couple of years ago.

The church was built between 1958 and 1960. Peter Clarkson, is the coordinator of Project Uplift, an effort to restore the church's foundation and monitor the ground below. He said the foundation was built over a freeze-thaw area.

"They brought in some fill and they put it over top which was probably a tundra/muskeg area, and then poured a cement foundation around the perimeter but also made a cement … almost like a saucer," Clarkson said.

Vents under the church would allow the cool air in, so thawing that may have occurred in the summer would freeze back every winter.

Clarkson said although the system was working for almost 60 years, it began to be noticeable that "the cement saucer floor has dropped," a problem, as that was holding up the church floor.

He said there had been very little work done over the years on the structure of the church.

However, last May, the floor was lifted with screw jacks, levelled and insulated thanks to some in-kind donation of services by the Aurora Research Institute and the N.W.T.'s Geological Survey, and $20,000 worth of equipment, for which the church will raise funds to pay for.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/in ... -1.6184155

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:25 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
It may well be that the idea of a personal vehicle in a big city has simply had its day. I guess I'm getting old, but the idea that I couldn't hop in my car tomorrow and drive to Texas for shits and giggles makes me sad.

There's hope - someone just drove across Canada in an EV in under 5 days. In the USA, that should be even easier, because their charging network is much more extensive than Canada's is.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/electrifyi ... -1.5594227

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:07 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
It may well be that the idea of a personal vehicle in a big city has simply had its day. I guess I'm getting old, but the idea that I couldn't hop in my car tomorrow and drive to Texas for shits and giggles makes me sad.

There's hope - someone just drove across Canada in an EV in under 5 days. In the USA, that should be even easier, because their charging network is much more extensive than Canada's is.

Cross-Canada In A Tesla Model 3 In Just 73 Hours

Audi e-tron sets new cross-Canada EV road trip record

$1:
We drove the green highway across Canada from Victoria to Quidi Vidi and then back to Gibsons in our Chevy Bolt but the adventure is just beginning. Now let's continue with our adventures with Bolt and Beyond

https://www.boltacrosscanada.com/

The range anxiety excuses are falling. ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:22 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

It's not so much the technological aspect, but the cultural one. Road trip to Vegas becomes "hop in autonomous electric vehicle that drives appropriate speeds, tracks and transmits your location and notifies appropriate authorities if Freewheelin Freddie in the back lights up a fatty." Probably just me getting old.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:28 am

No, I've always been privacy conscious. I think it's the total lack of legislation and enforcement with respect to our privacy, and the big companies monetizing and not protecting that, which makes it more concerning to people.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:35 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
bootlegga bootlegga:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

It's not so much the technological aspect, but the cultural one. Road trip to Vegas becomes "hop in autonomous electric vehicle that drives appropriate speeds, tracks and transmits your location and notifies appropriate authorities if Freewheelin Freddie in the back lights up a fatty." Probably just me getting old.

Gotcha! :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:20 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
No, I've always been privacy conscious. I think it's the total lack of legislation and enforcement with respect to our privacy, and the big companies monetizing and not protecting that, which makes it more concerning to people.

I think every person making six figures with he title of Privacy Commissioner for the last thirty years should be lined up in the town square and kicked in the ass.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:17 am

Scape Scape:
Tricks Tricks:
The united states is part of the world, even though they often forget it. If the USA is fucked, and the world is more fucked, then they have a cumulative fuckedness to them.

Apparently the US military, backed up by 30 years of scientific study, says otherwise. So much so they are ALL IN on the idea that THEY will survive while the rest of the world burns/drowns.

I'm not sold on that idea at all and once the rest of the world starts catching on how long before they threaten to take the whole world down with them if the US doesn't pitch in? Russia alone has more than enough nukes they could rupture the biodome just by nuking themselves.

I think nukes will be the last resort on Russia's part, because they have the most to gain from a warming world. Sea rise isn't going to affect them very much, and they stand to gain lots of potentially arable land and natural resource riches as Siberia thaws. If they find a way to accept the waves of migrants fleeing climate change, they have a chance to be a global power once again.

However, China, Pakistan and India (all nuclear powers) stand to suffer tremendously from climate change and they could easily take that route if they think 'Fortress North America' is doing nothing to help out.

One thing I foresee in the North America are huge waves of migrants - maybe with millions of migrants, far more than anything we've seen to date - fleeing north into North America. I doubt public opinion will let the US military massacre thousands of migrants trying to cross the border, or sink dozens or even hundreds of boats, unless of course the Republic goes full totalitarian. Then all bets are off and we're all well and truly fucked.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:41 am

$1:
Spain to ban sale of fruit and vegetables in plastic wrapping from 2023

The sale of fruit and vegetables in plastic wrapping will be prohibited in Spain’s supermarkets and grocery stores starting in 2023. This is one of the measures in a decree being drafted by the Ministry for Ecological Transition, according to sources familiar with the initiative.

The new regulation also contains measures to encourage the purchase of loose, unpackaged produce and use of non-bottled water. The ban on fruit and vegetable packaging will apply to produce weighing under 1.5 kilograms, following similar legislation in France, where it will go into effect next year.

The Spanish executive wants to “fight the overuse of packaging in the most effective way,” said a ministry spokesperson. The same source said that plastic pollution “has exceeded all limits.”

Environmental groups in Spain and abroad, including Greenpeace, have been campaigning for years to stop greengrocers and large supermarkets alike from wrapping fresh produce in layers of plastic.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021 ... -2023.html

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:10 pm

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:11 pm

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35577611/porsche-synthetic-efuel-clean-emissions-testing/

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels/

Internal combustion engines will live on, thanks to synthetic fuel! Aside from Porsche, BMW and Audi are already experimenting with them as well, apparently.

[B-o]

-J.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 651 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 20  21  22  23  24  25  26 ... 44  Next