Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:26 pm

Do you really believe that synthetic gasoline will ever be cheaper than sunshine or wind? [huh]

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:41 pm

I believe in synthetic fuel. I don't believe in sunshine and wind power as much. I put my faith in proven technologies that work.

Hopes and dreams and unicorn farts don't make my car go.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:51 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Do you really believe that synthetic gasoline will ever be cheaper than sunshine or wind? [huh]

When it's cloudy and no wind...yes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:21 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Before this comes even close to being cost-effective, gas cars will be a thing of the past and bio-fuels will mostly be used to make electricity... to power electric cars.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:22 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
I believe in synthetic fuel. I don't believe in sunshine and wind power as much. I put my faith in proven technologies that work.

Hopes and dreams and unicorn farts don't make my car go.

-J.

:lol:

You know the hopes and dreams parts are the synthetic fuels, right? The unproven technologies? Wind and sun we've been using for hundreds of thousands of years.

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

When it's cloudy and no wind...yes.

Batteries. :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:10 pm

Ancient Mesopotamia... many people at the time continue to carry stuff in their arms or on their backs, weary of the new and unproven technology that is the wheel.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:31 pm

That round thing will never catch on. In the good old days, we just tied two sticks together and dragged our stuff behind us with them. It was good enough for our ancestors.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:55 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
That round thing will never catch on. In the good old days, we just tied two sticks together and dragged our stuff behind us with them. It was good enough for our ancestors.

The wheel was the devil's tool. 8O

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:47 pm

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:37 am

Scape he has some really good ones on new batteries too.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:40 am

housewife housewife:

Search for the Super Battery

Different batteries have different applications. Chemical batteries are extremely efficient, but you can't move them, for example.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:03 am

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:07 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
housewife housewife:

Different batteries have different applications. Chemical batteries are extremely efficient, but you can't move them, for example.

Yeah but have you seen the info on some of the new chemical batteries. If they come to be and are as advertised it will shut up the but peak usage, cloudy days and no wind argument really fast. Of course this implies a decent infrastructure to take advantage of it. So some people will still be sol.
I’m now dependent on electricity to sleep. Got a cpap machine a few months ago. I was much happier not knowing how many times I stopped breathing in the night. Though I could have lived without the whining from the husband about it and getting tangled in the hose while I sleep.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:19 am

housewife housewife:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
housewife housewife:

housewife housewife:
Yeah but have you seen the info on some of the new chemical batteries.

Yes, I've been following things like that for years. That documentary also goes into many of the new technologies.

I wanted to get one of the General Electric fuel cell generators that ran off natural gas/propane for my home at one point, but their rating was only to -30c. Not good running out of electricity then.

Lead/air, Lithuim/Polymer and many other battery technologies are set to overtake Lithium Ion for power storage. They are much closer to the energy density of gasoline than LiIon.

housewife housewife:
If they come to be and are as advertised it will shut up the but peak usage, cloudy days and no wind argument really fast. Of course this implies a decent infrastructure to take advantage of it.

So many technologies that we have right now, have always negated that argument for me. It would only take 100^2 kilometers of solar arrays to meet our energy needs right now. The only problem is storing and delivering it.

housewife housewife:
I’m now dependent on electricity to sleep. Got a cpap machine a few months ago. I was much happier not knowing how many times I stopped breathing in the night. Though I could have lived without the whining from the husband about it and getting tangled in the hose while I sleep.

I have a friend who's cat would chew on the power cord for his CPAP. I warned him it might be trying to kill and eat him. As cats do. ;)

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:13 pm

Bummer about the General Electric. -30 isn’t a good time for a failure in your system. Have to admit that I had wondered about there ability to operate in really cold weather. All the new batteries and some of small windmills and I think but did they test them in the north. I would rather have power in cold then hot if I had a choice.

Doc cats can be evil! :lol: My first grandcat has a thing for white cords and only white cords. That’s why I called him the bad baby. Plus my cpap cord is black so I should be ok… maybe there are three of them now!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 651 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 21  22  23  24  25  26  27 ... 44  Next