bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:26 am

Climate change: UN emissions gap report a 'thundering wake-up call'

$1:
The Unep analysis suggests the world is on course to warm around 2.7C with hugely destructive impacts.

But there is hope that, if long term net-zero goals are met, temperatures can be significantly reined in.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:50 am

Still hope? I'm not so sure. If we stopped emitting tomorrow--completely stopped--we are still looking at a 60 ft sea level rise.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:16 pm

We can mostly adapt to that given the time frame. That is the key. If the rupture is to much too fast then not so much. Problem being the people we need to heed this won't be the people who will be the ones most impacted and they know it. Nihilism, shockingly, has a downside.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:16 pm

I look at all the major crises in the past, like world wars, ozone holes, and acid rain. We pulled together to fix them. I think we can fix this. But not the crony old white guys. It'll have to be the new generation coming into voting age that will need to be the solution.

I still hope. But I have no cock in that fight, as I'll be dead when things get real bad. After 2040 or so.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:26 pm

My head will be in a jar. Properly pickled.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:41 pm

Well, we seem to be moving on infernal combustion engines quite quickly now. Still need to switch to nuclear and shut down all the coal/nat gas electrical generation facilities and get a boatload of carbon sequestration plants going. Even then, we'll be looking at mass sea level rise, extinction, drought, economic chaos, mass migration, conflict, etc, but it won't last as long. Just a couple of hundred years. But yeah, we gotta jump on that horse.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:44 pm

It's going up no matter what, we have to do the best with the hands we are dealt. This means prudent use of carbon emitting technology to bridge the gap as fast as possible but we simply can't shut off coal like a light switch yet. The roads to tomorrow have yet to be built.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:04 am

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:38 am

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:06 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

$1:
The Unep analysis suggests the world is on course to warm around 2.7C with hugely destructive impacts.

But there is hope that, if long term net-zero goals are met, temperatures can be significantly reined in.

Fear mongering.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:16 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

$1:

Fear mongering.

-J.

It's a prediction based on an astonishing amount of evidence, but I agree that fear is the appropriate response.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:31 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:35 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

$1:

Fear mongering.

-J.

Bla Bla Bla.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:07 pm

One would think that the UN has better things to do. Then again, it's the UN so probably not.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:28 pm

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 651 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 29  30  31  32  33  34  35 ... 44  Next