CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:40 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:24 am

I've mentioned before that we have a heat pump clothes dryer that we had installed in February along with a matching washer. The dryer took a bit of getting used to as it functions differently and does require additional maintenance periodically but it indicates when it is time to do so and is no big deal to do.

In that above video he mentions some setbacks with heat pump tech when it comes to low temp climates but I'm sure as the technology advances they will improve upon this.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:30 am

Strutz Strutz:
I've mentioned before that we have a heat pump clothes dryer that we had installed in February along with a matching washer. The dryer took a bit of getting used to as it functions differently and does require additional maintenance periodically but it indicates when it is time to do so and is no big deal to do.

In that above video he mentions some setbacks with heat pump tech when it comes to low temp climates but I'm sure as the technology advances they will improve upon this.

The more I look at heat pump dryers, the cooler they are. (pun intended)

I don't think heat pumps in colder climates will ever change, until our climate becomes warmer. It's just physics. Heat moves from warmer to colder areas, first law of thermodynamics. The refrigerant can't be chilled enough to absorb heat from the outside and bring it inside at lower than -20 because that is the temperature of the refrigerant. But having a backup electric heater or using a ground loop for times like that are good plan B's. That the process is reversible and you can remove heat from inside and move it outside it the cat's meow. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:55 pm

Fucking rain again. Just cut the wet lawn a couple days ago, now it's sprouted another 3 inches.
Climate change means in another couple years I'll be driving an electric car and buying a twin-turbo V8 Demon engine lawnmower to cut the grass....

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHXMbTH ... WL&index=7

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:21 pm

Rick probably won't see this, but hope he stays cool this weekend, heat domes are nothing to joke about.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:47 pm

It's the daytime heat, the night time heat, and the total lack of wind. :(

Stay hydrated!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:19 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
It's the daytime heat, the night time heat, and the total lack of wind. :(

Stay hydrated!

...and medicated. [drunk]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKOCZ4z ... WL&index=5

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:46 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

The U.S. went through an energy crisis during the 1970's for several reasons, the OPEC oil embargo being a major one. During that time certain contractors were building passive solar homes. The idea did not really catch on as fuel prices dropped again in the 80's allowing us to shut down many promising alternative energy ideas. We slid back to our dependence on fossil fuels in a big way. I was working as an HVAC tech in Mass back in the 90's. I got to go on a call to a passive solar home that was located on the coast. The house was like a snapshot from a bygone era as it was the poster child for a passive solar home. Luckily for me the home owner was not just some
shlep that bought the home, he was actively involved in the design and manufacture of these homes back in the day. He looked like the typical 70's hippy professor. He gave me the grand tour and explained everything about the house. I was totally fascinated! Every last detail of getting free energy from the sun had been built into this home. Massive windows facing the south with overhangs built over them. He explained how the sun is at different angles through the year. During the summer the sun is at a higher angle, and the overhangs block the suns rays. During the winter the suns rays shine into the home. They hit special surfaces designed to absorb the heat. They absorbed during the day, and released during the night kind of like a shock absorber. Even the selection of the trees planted in the yard was calculated. The leaves helped shade the house from the sun in the winter. The leaves fall off in the fall and allow the sun to shine in during the winter. I learned so much that I would have paid for this tour. Its sad that every time energy prices fall we go right back to our wasteful ways.

The crown jewel was his heatpumps. Since he lived on the coast he was able to use water sourced heat pumps. Instead of digging up his yard, he was able to place the assembly in the water. Its salt water, so it has a lower freezing point than fresh water. The area is tidal so the water is always moving which helps prevent freezing. The assembly is several feet below the surface as well. He gets the best of both worlds. When the air temp is high in the summer, he can have 25 degrees F lower condensing temps for his ac. In the winter when the air temp is below freezing he can be absorbing heat from the water that can be 50 degrees F higher than the outside air temp.

It was an honor to meet the man and tour his home. I got put on the list of techs who were qualified to go to his home. Only one other tech knew what the hell was going on there as his home was so different from what we normally see. I liked the area as I love the coast and I really respected what he was trying to achieve with his energy independence. He really kept up on everything very well. The only calls I got there were for routine maintenance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:44 pm

When we were geeky 13 year olds my friends Dad was an engineer for an outfit that made heat pumps, I remember him explaining how they worked. Back in the mid 1960s.
Now every time I flip the TV on, BC Hydro's trying to get us all to get one. Of course never mentioning the price, just their available grants.

Probably cost as much as a whole house back then.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:51 am

rickc rickc:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

The U.S. went through an energy crisis during the 1970's for several reasons, the OPEC oil embargo being a major one. During that time certain contractors were building passive solar homes. The idea did not really catch on as fuel prices dropped again in the 80's allowing us to shut down many promising alternative energy ideas. We slid back to our dependence on fossil fuels in a big way. I was working as an HVAC tech in Mass back in the 90's. I got to go on a call to a passive solar home that was located on the coast. The house was like a snapshot from a bygone era as it was the poster child for a passive solar home. Luckily for me the home owner was not just some
shlep that bought the home, he was actively involved in the design and manufacture of these homes back in the day. He looked like the typical 70's hippy professor. He gave me the grand tour and explained everything about the house. I was totally fascinated! Every last detail of getting free energy from the sun had been built into this home. Massive windows facing the south with overhangs built over them. He explained how the sun is at different angles through the year. During the summer the sun is at a higher angle, and the overhangs block the suns rays. During the winter the suns rays shine into the home. They hit special surfaces designed to absorb the heat. They absorbed during the day, and released during the night kind of like a shock absorber. Even the selection of the trees planted in the yard was calculated. The leaves helped shade the house from the sun in the winter. The leaves fall off in the fall and allow the sun to shine in during the winter. I learned so much that I would have paid for this tour. Its sad that every time energy prices fall we go right back to our wasteful ways.

The crown jewel was his heatpumps. Since he lived on the coast he was able to use water sourced heat pumps. Instead of digging up his yard, he was able to place the assembly in the water. Its salt water, so it has a lower freezing point than fresh water. The area is tidal so the water is always moving which helps prevent freezing. The assembly is several feet below the surface as well. He gets the best of both worlds. When the air temp is high in the summer, he can have 25 degrees F lower condensing temps for his ac. In the winter when the air temp is below freezing he can be absorbing heat from the water that can be 50 degrees F higher than the outside air temp.

It was an honor to meet the man and tour his home. I got put on the list of techs who were qualified to go to his home. Only one other tech knew what the hell was going on there as his home was so different from what we normally see. I liked the area as I love the coast and I really respected what he was trying to achieve with his energy independence. He really kept up on everything very well. The only calls I got there were for routine maintenance.

It sounds like an amazing living space. I think it's remarkably similar to what we call an 'earthship' now. Using things like old car tires as walls, and a huge clay wall to absorb and slowly release heat, they can even be warm and toasty in a Prairie winter.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-ne ... -earthship

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2024 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 63  64  65  66  67  68  69 ... 135  Next