bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:58 pm

But again production is not only about price. There are massive reserves available to new technologies, and new reserves being found as a result of new technologies all the time. These are not restricted by price alone. It can be political. Doesn't change the fact the reserves are there, and viable.

Also there are new innovations all the time in conventional energy sources making them viable, or at least on the verge of it. I mentioned clean coal and thorium nuclear. Natural gas is used more and more now as a result of innovative technologies. Using these creates greater slack on the oil reserves. I'm not going to look up how much oil is actually there right now in North America. I think we can agree that there are different estimations on what's there. Mine say there's more than a hundred years worth. As I recall it's a lot more, and that's just currently, and possible using current technologies.

My only real point is "Peak Oil" was a scare. If you're no longer scared that's good enough for me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:36 pm

Ever hear of the law of supply and demand?

When you have projects that cost billions of dollars to build and know that your margin is far smaller than conventional oil wells, price is very much a factor of production.

The Saudis can pump a barrel of oil for $5 or so - that's a far cry from the $25-$95 shale oil costs. If oil prices were still in the $30 range like the mid-90s, shale oil would be totally undeveloped in most Western countries.

FYI, I never was scared, just concerned, just like you should be. :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm

bootlegga wrote:
Ever hear of the law of supply and demand?

When you have projects that cost billions of dollars to build and know that your margin is far smaller than conventional oil wells, price is very much a factor of production.

The Saudis can pump a barrel of oil for $5 or so - that's a far cry from the $25-$95 shale oil costs. If oil prices were still in the $30 range like the mid-90s, shale oil would be totally undeveloped in most Western countries.

FYI, I never was scared, just concerned, just like you should be. :wink:

Exactly. I've said that shipping hydrocarbons from the surface of Titan to the earth is just a matter of cost-efficiency. Once it is cost efficient then we can expect Exxon to build interplanetary oil tankers for drunk captains to crash into asteroids. :lol: