Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:32 am

Knew that years ago. Stephen Hawking found the mathematical model of the inside of a black hole closely resembled that of the model of our universe.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:41 am

I did not.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:45 am

It's mind altering, isn't it? 8)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:49 am

a little bit.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:51 am

Quote:
Bennu after Orbital B Insertion

This image of asteroid Bennu was captured on Jun. 13, 2019, shortly after NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft executed its second orbital insertion maneuver. From the spacecraft’s vantage point in orbit, half of Bennu is sunlit and half is in shadow. Bennu’s largest boulder can also be seen protruding from the southern hemisphere. The image was taken from a distance of 0.4 miles (690 m) above the asteroid’s surface by NavCam 1, one of three navigation cameras that comprise the spacecraft’s TAGCAMS (the Touch-and-Go Camera System) suite. At this distance, details as small as 1.6 ft (0.5 m) across can be resolved in the center of the image.

This second orbital phase, called Orbital B, broke the record for the closest distance a spacecraft has orbited a body in the Solar System. The spacecraft is now in a bound, circular orbit 0.4 miles (680 m) from the asteroid’s surface.

https://www.asteroidmission.org/2019061 ... insertion/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:59 am

I know I do this a lot but ... [drool] I really do love this kind of stuff.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:06 am

More rocks. :evil:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:21 am

Just a pile of rocks in close formation.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:08 pm

Quote:
One legacy of Carl Sagan may take flight next week—a working solar sail

Quote:
Artist's concept of LightSail 2 above Earth.

As early as next Monday night, a SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket will launch a cluster of 24 satellites for the US Air Force. Known as the Space Test Program-2 mission, the rocket will deposit its payloads into three different orbits. Perhaps the most intriguing satellite will be dropped off at the second stop—a circular orbit 720km above the Earth's surface. This is the Planetary Society's LightSail 2 spacecraft.

After a week in space, allowing the satellites deposited in this orbit to drift apart, LightSail 2 will eject from its carrying case into open space. About the size of a loaf of bread, the 5kg satellite will eventually unfurl into a solar sail 4 meters long by 5.6 meters tall. The Mylar material composing the sail is just 4.5 microns thick, or about one-tenth as thick as a human hair.

This experiment, which will attempt to harness the momentum of photons and "sail" through space, is the culmination of decades of work by The Planetary Society. "This goes back to the very beginning, to Carl Sagan, Bruce Murray, and Lou Friedman," the organization's chief executive, Bill Nye, told Ars in an interview. "We are carrying on a legacy that has been with us since the founders. It’s just an intriguing technology because it lowers the cost of going all over the place in the Solar System."

Quote:
LightSail 2 undergoing health checks following vibration testing at the Air Force Research Laboratory.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/06 ... olar-sail/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:13 pm

If you're on a collision course with the sun, how big does your solar sail have to be to counteract gravity and save you?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:17 pm

raydan wrote:
If you're on a collision course with the sun, how big does your solar sail have to be to counteract gravity and save you?

The only way to be on a collision course with the Sun is to have zero orbital velocity around the Sun. The way to miss it is to have an orbital velocity greater than zero.

And a solar sail moves away from the Sun, like a sailing ship moves with the wind. ;) (Yes, I know you can tack so that you move into the wind, but that requires friction and air resistance)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:44 pm

raydan wrote:

If you're on a collision course with the sun I'd recommend using the oars and not the sails.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:51 pm

I'd use the warp drive myself, or create a space-time anomaly (wormhole) that I can go through.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:29 am

Or use enough speed heading counter clock wise around the sun and go back in time and reset things so you never end up heading for the sun in the first place.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:36 am

raydan wrote:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2386 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 146  147  148  149  150  151  152 ... 160  Next