Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:41 pm

So, everyone remembers the Nuclear plant meltdown in Japan a couple years back? The worst nuclear disaster in such a heavily populated place, with radiation leakage on par with Chernyobl.

Here are some recent conclusions:

No Immediate Health Risks from Fukushima Nuclear Accident Says UN Expert Science Panel

http://www.unis.unvienna.org/unis/en/pr ... nf475.html

Thyroid cancer found in 12 minors in Fukushima
$1:
The prefecture’s thyroid screenings target 360,000 people who were aged 18 or younger when the March 2011 mega-quake and tsunami triggered the meltdown crisis at Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant.

The initial-phase checks looked at lumps and other possible thyroid cancer symptoms and categorized possible cases into four groups depending on the degree of seriousness. Those in the two most serious groups were picked for secondary exams.

In fiscal 2011, after confirming test results from about 40,000 minors, the prefecture sent 205 for secondary testing. Of the 205, seven were diagnosed with thyroid cancer, four came out with suspected cases, and another had surgery but the tumor was found to be benign.

Among those aged 10 to 14 in Japan, thyroid cancer strikes about 1 to 2 in a million.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/0 ... cer-cases/

Fukushima tuna study finds minuscule health risks

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/03/us/fukushima-tuna/

The nuclear debate shouldn't end with Fukushima fear.

$1:
Heard much about Fukushima lately? You know, the disaster that spread deadly contamination across Japan and spelt the end for the nuclear industry.

You should have, because recent authoritative reports have reached a remarkable conclusion about a supposedly "deadly" disaster. No one died, nor is likely to die, according to the most comprehensive assessments since the Fukushima nuclear plant was hit by a massive earthquake and tsunami in March 2011.

The accident competed for media space with the deaths of nearly 20,000 people in the magnitude 9.0 quake – 1000 times worse than the Christchurch quake – and tsunami, which wholly or partly destroyed more than a million buildings.

The nuclear workers were the living dead, we were told; hundreds of thousands would die if the plant exploded; even if that didn't happen, affected areas would be uninhabitable and residents' health would suffer for generations.
Advertisement

Instead, two independent international reports conclude that radiative material released from Fukushima's four damaged reactors, three of which melted down, has had negligible health impacts.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/japans ... 2nomz.html

The Fukushima Nuclear Disaster's Toll: How About Zero?

$1:
This "perfect storm" hit a nuclear plant built to a 50-year-old design and no one died. Japan moved a few metres east during a three-minute quake and the local coastline subsided half a metre, but the 11 reactors operating in four nuclear power plants in the region all shut down automatically. None suffered significant damage. (The tsunami disabled Fukushima's cooling system.)

Yet such is the imbalance of dread to risk on matters nuclear that this accident was enough to turn public opinion and governments against nuclear power. Never mind that coal mining kills almost 6000 people a year, or that populations of coal-mining areas have death rates about 10 per cent higher than non-mining areas, or that coal emissions drive global warming.

$1:
A 2010 National Academy of Sciences study, The Hidden Costs of Energy, calculated that coal fired electricity generation produced $62 billion in non-climate damages annually in the U.S., of which 90 percent were associated with premature mortality. At the standard rate of $6 million per life, that implies about 10,000 excess deaths per year.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/06/05/the-f ... s-toll-how

I think that pretty much lays to rest the fear that Nuclear Power is the most dangerous should an accident occur.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:49 pm

I still prefer my Hydro... mind you, I understand that some provinces and most of the USA will never be able to produce enough of that.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:52 pm

raydan raydan:
I still prefer my Hydro... mind you, I understand that some provinces and most of the USA will never be able to produce enough of that.

Only so many hydro capable rivers in the world and hydro causes a lot of damage to areas which rely on seasonal flooding, they also take up a crap load of land for their reservoirs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:58 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
raydan raydan:

Only so many hydro capable rivers in the world and hydro causes a lot of damage to areas which rely on seasonal flooding, they also take up a crap load of land for their reservoirs.

We have plenty of water, plenty of land and the new projects are in areas where nobody goes. :wink:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:05 pm

raydan raydan:
jeff744 jeff744:
raydan raydan:

We have plenty of water, plenty of land and the new projects are in areas where nobody goes. :wink:

water is different from having rivers large enough to justify the dam while also being placed in areas that can actually support a reservoir. There's a reason Saskatchewan/Manitoba/Alberta have few large hydro stations in comparison to Ontario and Quebec.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:09 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
raydan raydan:

There's no such thing as a free ride when it comes to energy. You gotta pay the piper one way or the other. To me it makes sense to have a resilient system based on several sources, including alternative energies.

Nuclear makes sense too, though I'm given to understand that the volume of mineable fissile material is not that large, so we'd be facing scarcity in another 50 years or so. Does the thorium issue address that?

We should be looking at space based solar as well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:12 pm

That's why I've being saying "my" and "we", Jeff... I am from Québec.

I also know the environmental damage hydro does, but I guess I'm ready to live with that... wind and solar take up a lot of land compared to hydro and compared to nuclear, there is no spent fuel to get rid of.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:16 pm

The only problems with nukes are the people who design them, build them, and operate them. Aside from that they're just fabulous. :wink:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Nuclear makes sense too, though I'm given to understand that the volume of mineable fissile material is not that large, so we'd be facing scarcity in another 50 years or so. Does the thorium issue address that?

We should be looking at space based solar as well.

Zip, I'm not sure if you have ever looked into "fast breeder reactors", but basically, they take conventional nuclear waste and reprocess it into nuclear fuel for these specialized reactors, thus removing a huge amount of nuclear waste from the environment, and extending the viability of nuclear energy for a very long time. Thorium reactors seem to be another possibility

Hydro is an excellent energy generation source, but the availability is limited in most parts of the world. Canada is blessed with an abundance of suitable sites for hydroelectric dams.

Space based solar is a good long term energy solution, but I don't think we're close to achieving it just yet. Always loved those powerplants back in Simcity 2000 lol.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:02 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
raydan raydan:

There is a viable alternative to the massive hydro electric developments and amount of land needed for reservoirs. The Run of the River type projects can get by with more or less holding "ponds" for their water reserves. While they don't produce enough power for the larger cities they can be quite useful for smaller communities.

Run-of-River Hydro Power

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Hyack Hyack:
jeff744 jeff744:
raydan raydan:

There is a viable alternative to the massive hydro electric developments and amount of land needed for reservoirs. The Run of the River type projects can get by with more or less holding "ponds" for their water reserves. While they don't produce enough power for the larger cities they can be quite useful for smaller communities.

Run-of-River Hydro Power

That still creates the problem in that they can't be placed in areas where the river is used as any form of transportation which is still fairly common in some areas.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:47 pm

There's a hollowed out mountain in Kitimat from the abandoned Kemano II project. It's in the middle of nowhere, no one would be hurt if it melts down and the Town Council would vote to swim in irradiated pig shit mixed with bitumen if you whisper "Jobs!" in their ear.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:55 pm

herbie herbie:
There's a hollowed out mountain in Kitimat from the abandoned Kemano II project. It's in the middle of nowhere, no one would be hurt if it melts down and the Town Council would vote to swim in irradiated pig shit mixed with bitumen if you whisper "Jobs!" in their ear.

Add to that nobody would miss Kitimat in any way, shape or form.....Where the Hell was Kitimat.... :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Imagine one of the most idyllic settings on Earth and place a miserable company town there. Turn the temp down 10 degrees and add 50% more rain. Move all the stores and restaurants 80 kms away down a 2 lane road, dump lots of snow in winter and privatize THE snowplow.
Now imagine the road in so damn long your new car warranty runs out getting there and bread and milk arrive on their best before date. Choose to fly yourself in and out or fly the whole dam family to Glasgow, same price.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:42 am

sounds like most of the Prairies outside of the cities