CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63685
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:11 am
 


Zipperfish wrote:
There's no proof in science.


Yet science has proven otherwise.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63685
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:12 am
 


Thanos wrote:
And that's OK, because in return there's certainly no facts in religion. :wink:


Absolutely RIGHT!!! [B-o]


Online
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27719
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:15 am
 


Telling someone that a compass will always point to magnetic north is always observable though, a lot more so than saying something insane like "the birth of a red calf means that Jesus is returning to kill us all". Why not just tell them that Lord of the Rings was true? It was generally a much more pleasant tale than anything from actual religion has ever been.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 32782
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:23 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:
There's no proof in science.


Yet science has proven otherwise.


Science always allows for the possibility that conclusions are wrong, or better evidence is found. 'Gravity' is a 'theory', but it is also 'true'. If we come up with a better way to explain Gravity, then Science adapts. Newton was wrong, in that his explanation of Gravity did not account for the procession of Mercury that we observe. That took Einstein's General Relativity to reveal.

Complex systems are much harder to nail down than a apple falling from a tree, and Science adapts.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23587
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 am
 


Zipperfish wrote:

There's no proof in science. Proof is for logic and alcohol.

All one has to do is take a stats class. You have a null hypothesis, and if you get the right p-value, you don't prove the opposite, you reject the null. It's eliminating what's wrong, not proving what's right.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 32782
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:32 am
 


Tricks wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:

There's no proof in science. Proof is for logic and alcohol.

All one has to do is take a stats class. You have a null hypothesis, and if you get the right p-value, you don't prove the opposite, you reject the null. It's eliminating what's wrong, not proving what's right.


Most of what I know about the Universe I learnt in Stats 241. <3


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23587
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:43 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Tricks wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:

There's no proof in science. Proof is for logic and alcohol.

All one has to do is take a stats class. You have a null hypothesis, and if you get the right p-value, you don't prove the opposite, you reject the null. It's eliminating what's wrong, not proving what's right.


Most of what I know about the Universe I learnt in Stats 241. <3

It definitely altered how I look at things.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63685
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 am
 


Things that I can scientifically prove:

1. Dead criminals don't reoffend.

2. Dead terrorists smell bad.

3. a fifty through the cranium is lethal.

4. The moon is not made of cheese.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 32782
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:36 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
Things that I can scientifically prove:

1. Dead criminals don't reoffend.

2. Dead terrorists smell bad.

3. a fifty through the cranium is lethal.

4. The moon is not made of cheese.


And none of those things are what science sets out to prove.

The goal of 'science' is to 'understand' through observation, experimentation and then quantifying those with a general theory as to why they occur.

And one of the things it does do is publish its findings so that anyone could reproduce the observations or experiments and come to the same conclusion. (The original premise of this thread.)

You say you are 'not convinced'. Going on a long proven thought experiment - what would it take to convince you?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23587
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:15 pm
 


BartSimpson wrote:
Things that I can scientifically prove:

1. Dead criminals don't reoffend.

ZOMBIES BART! ZOMBIES


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20991
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:05 pm
 


Tricks wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:

There's no proof in science. Proof is for logic and alcohol.

All one has to do is take a stats class. You have a null hypothesis, and if you get the right p-value, you don't prove the opposite, you reject the null. It's eliminating what's wrong, not proving what's right.


Boy do I know that. I've been on the stand trying to explain statistics to a judge!


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20991
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:06 pm
 


BartSimpson wrote:
Things that I can scientifically prove:

1. Dead criminals don't reoffend.

2. Dead terrorists smell bad.

3. a fifty through the cranium is lethal.

4. The moon is not made of cheese.


I don't think you can prove any of those.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23587
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:07 pm
 


Zipperfish wrote:
Tricks wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:

There's no proof in science. Proof is for logic and alcohol.

All one has to do is take a stats class. You have a null hypothesis, and if you get the right p-value, you don't prove the opposite, you reject the null. It's eliminating what's wrong, not proving what's right.


Boy do I know that. I've been on the stand trying to explain statistics to a judge!

Science education in this country needs a re-vamp.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63685
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:57 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Going on a long proven thought experiment - what would it take to convince you?


As a start it would be nice if at least some of the dire predictions about global warming had turned out to be at least partially right instead of utterly wrong.

I mean it seems that no matter what hideous apocalypse is predicted to take place the reality always falls far short.

It's happened so many times now that it's almost disappointing when civilization doesn't end as scheduled and I have to go to work the next day.

I'm sure Thanos can relate. [B-o]


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8886
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:09 pm
 


Modern Science Reporting:
Asteroid size of a football field will miss hitting Earth by just 26,000 miles
NASA basically missed a huge asteroid that passed unnervingly close ...
A Huge Asteroid Missed Earth on Sunday and No One Saw it Coming ...
Massive asteroid[b] 2018 GE3 just missed Earth [b]over the weekend
Earth Has Near Miss With Asteroid Spotted Just Hours Earlier - YouTube (dated Apr 16, 2018, tomorrow}

NASA asteroid warning: 2010 WC9 will fly by Earth today

Flew by a couple hours ago, 119,400 miles away, was 70 metres across (first post I saw about it on FB said it was 71 miles across)....

None of the headlines were from the usual "MSM" sites, all from Internet diarrhea clickbait sites that make up 99% of what poses as fact.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.