CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 42402
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:53 pm
 


http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-42318444

Seems that the thylacine was on the way out even without our help. The cheetah is in the same boat due to poor genetics too.

Also interesting -

Quote:
The scientists found that thylacine skulls bore similarities to the grey wolf and red fox, despite the animals not sharing a common ancestor since the Jurassic period.
"Given the two species are so distantly related, the fact they have skulls almost indistinguishable from one another is incredibly amazing," Dr Pask said.
He called it an exceptional example of convergent evolution - where species which are not closely related evolve to look similar.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 31598
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:04 pm
 


I still never got why the Aussies called a dog a 'tiger'. [huh]

And they always looked like a cartoon character to me. Never quite right.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 42402
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:20 pm
 


The stripes I guess, but then again it's not a dog either, even though it was also called a Tasmanian wolf too. It's a possum on steroids.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 31598
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:30 am
 


Yea, a wolf is closer. I think it's the elongated torso, and rib cage. Makes it look like one of those T-rex in museums that look like they shouldn't have been so large with such a fragile midsection.

Like if the Taz Tiger ever got into a full gallop, they'd break in half. And a marsupial to boot! Odd animal. But Australia is full of those.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 42402
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:42 am
 


They're called Australians. :lol:


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 31598
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 am
 


Right! :lol:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27544
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:28 am
 


ShepherdsDog wrote:
They're called Australians. :lol:


aka the common bogan. :twisted:


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Toronto Maple Leafs


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 527
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:12 am
 


What am I going to do when the rash on my frontal middle-mid section comes back and there's no more Thylacene left on the shelf?


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 31598
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 am
 


ccga3359 wrote:
What am I going to do when the rash on my frontal middle-mid section comes back and there's no more Thylacene left on the shelf?


Stop hanging around the docks when the fleet is in? ;)


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8731
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:13 am
 


ccga3359 wrote:
What am I going to do when the rash on my frontal middle-mid section comes back and there's no more Thylacene left on the shelf?

Wire brush and Dettol.


Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 927
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:45 am
 


ShepherdsDog wrote:
The cheetah is in the same boat due to poor genetics too.
LOL

Evolution! The science-fiction that keeps on giving and taking!


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 31598
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:54 am
 


CharlesAnthony wrote:
ShepherdsDog wrote:
The cheetah is in the same boat due to poor genetics too.
LOL

Evolution! The science-fiction that keeps on giving and taking!


Shhh! Adults are talking here.

You know that evolution is not only seen directly in science, it's also chartable through DNA? No, of course not, that would require informing yourself.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... eationist/


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 42402
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:58 am
 


Well, with a family tree that doesn't fork, his DNA should be fairly easy to trace.....it also explains a fair bit about his posting.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 31598
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:07 pm
 


ShepherdsDog wrote:
Well, with a family tree that doesn't fork, his DNA should be fairly easy to trace.....it also explains a fair bit about his posting.


He seems to like science fiction though, after it creates the computer he's using and the Internet.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11402
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:37 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Yea, a wolf is closer. I think it's the elongated torso, and rib cage. Makes it look like one of those T-rex in museums that look like they shouldn't have been so large with such a fragile midsection.

Like if the Taz Tiger ever got into a full gallop, they'd break in half. And a marsupial to boot! Odd animal. But Australia is full of those.

Some similarities to a hyena too. Interesting critter for sure.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  1  2  3  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.